Will my story get me cancelled on twitter?

Acezhere

So basically aliens designed an evil A.I. and sent it to earth as a test. The A.I. was who we know as Hitler. They took away the real human baby hitler and replaced him with the robot. Now the human baby is the main character. So the main character is hitler. Would this attract an angry mob of twitter users?

Blaggy

Depends on how you frame it and the end goal of the aliens, and whether the current world is what they wanted as an end result. If you just go surface level "Hitle le evil" and he lost due to faulty programming, probably not. If you go deeper you'll be in alt right territory and likely cancelled, or jailed if you are Austrian or German or English.

Edit: I'm serious about legal repercussions for UK, German, or Austrian citizens. Austrians and Germans have been jailed and then sent to prison for years for portraying Hitler and Nazi's as anything but evil. In the UK you will get fined when the authorities ring up your local rabbi and ask them if the synopsis alone offended them, even if the story is negative about them. Not sure about the rest of the EU, but the European Court of Human Rights will not defend free speech for this period of history.

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Depends. Though seeing as how a good chunk of people on here either don't care, don't use Twitter, or just hate Twitter then you should be fine. Not saying that I agree with your story but I do believe in the freedom of creativity so write whatever you want. If you regret writing it then you could always delete it.

DiscoDream

Severe autist
So basically aliens designed an evil A.I. and sent it to earth as a test. The A.I. was who we know as Hitler. They took away the real human baby hitler and replaced him with the robot. Now the human baby is the main character. So the main character is hitler. Would this attract an angry mob of twitter users?
I'm interested, though that sounds like a first concept. What would be the point of the story? Is it baby Hitler coming back 100 years later, to see the world as it is and correct his legacy? Is it Hitler's adventures in space?

Sayu

Eugh eig
yeah,

If it stays in shub and is relatively unknown, and or people do not care it should be fine, but once it hits any sort of recognition outside of shub it's gonna be flamed just for the synopsis alone. I advocate for freedom of expression but some lines are better not crossed for safety.

In order to not be cancelled, framing it as not directly being Hitla, like a fictional dictator, but sharing characteristics should be the safest. Even if it is mostly non-offensive, it is still likely going to get flamed, because 9 times out of 10, the people critiquing it, would not actually read it.

SailusGebel

It won't. The current greatest enemy of your average Twitter user is the guy who used the wrong syrup for their vegan, gluten-free coffees. For an average Twitter user, those who accidentally mixed up sugar-free caramel syrup and caramel syrup are worse than Hitler and Trump combined.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
If it upsets the Twatter crew then write it. You're going to Hell for being on smuthub anyway so why not? 😁

MrPopocap

Can you make your Hittler have a full mustache or a beard ?

Acezhere

I'm interested, though that sounds like a first concept. What would be the point of the story? Is it baby Hitler coming back 100 years later, to see the world as it is and correct his legacy? Is it Hitler's adventures in space?
it's about him trying to save people when the aliens invade. The alien government raised him.
Depends on how you frame it and the end goal of the aliens, and whether the current world is what they wanted as an end result. If you just go surface level "Hitle le evil" and he lost due to faulty programming, probably not. If you go deeper you'll be in alt right territory and likely cancelled, or jailed if you are Austrian or German or English.

Edit: I'm serious about legal repercussions for UK, German, or Austrian citizens. Austrians and Germans have been jailed and then sent to prison for years for portraying Hitler and Nazi's as anything but evil. In the UK you will get fined when the authorities ring up your local rabbi and ask them if the synopsis alone offended them, even if the story is negative about them. Not sure about the rest of the EU, but the European Court of Human Rights will not defend free speech for this period of history.
I live in USA, and I 100% disagree with hitler

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Probably the worst that's going to happen is you'll have your work flagged for sensitive content the way my pinned tweet got flagged. People can still click on it if they are curious:

Varstark

If it's not something they can flag as misogyny, racism or transphobia, they likely won't care.

If you want to avoid the twitter mob, take writing tips from modern Hollywood movies. I'm afraid portrayals of Hitler falls under it.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
it's about him trying to save people when the aliens invade. The alien government raised him.

I live in USA, and I 100% disagree with hitler
You can't disagree with him 100%. He did some good stuff too, like he rebuilt the German economy. Plus he was like the only white world leader to shake Jesse Owen's hand at the 1936 Olympics, when even FDR refused to do it.

Acezhere

You can't disagree with him 100%. He did some good stuff too, like he rebuilt the German economy. Plus he was like the only white world leader to shake Jesse Owen's hand at the 1936 Olympics, when even FDR refused to do it.
racist sexist misogynistic transphobic homophbic fatphobic bigoted nazi

tw: sarcasm

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Honestly don't worry about it. If you get banned so what?

Be a free bird and stretch your story across the entire internet, don't let an overly sensitive 40 year old window licker bother you.

Tell your story just to tell it, don't intentionally try to provoke people because can make you just as pathetic as those you are unintentionally antagonising.

Let the river of hate carry you to success instead of trying to fight against the oncoming tide, denial equals a guilty verdict in a shallow person's mind. Let the labels that get thrown at you come, the real people out there will see you for what you are.

And also who knows, maybe a shitty copy paste SJW rage bait YouTuber will make a thirty minute video essay (rant) about the 'controversy' that happens.

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
You could just defend yourself from Twitter altogether. If, for whatever reason, your book does get a bit of fame just put all of your haters in the story by either their Twitter handle or the looks of their profile picture.

How can someone possibly hate a book knowing that they are in it? I mean, I'd be flattered and/or confused.

"Why is this person adapting me into their work dammit? I was trying to make a fool of them!" @memeking405 will write.

When in reality, you're creating a super cult of hatists who you'll use to hate on your book, creating controversy, which in return creates more fame, then controversy, then even more fame!

Or... You could just block them. 😭

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
What's the problem? Ai-chan understands that the state of Germany tries to pretend like Hitler wasn't a former leader of their country but everyone knows they're fucking liars.

If your story gets cancelled on twitter, isn't that great? Free promotion right there. It's not like they can actually do anything to you apart from hurling abuses online. Chances are though, nobody would care about your fiction.

Unless you also turn it into an anime. In that case, expect a lot of snowflakes calling you the worst kind of human being. Yeah, the vocal few just seems to hate Japanese anime for some reason.

ChrisLensman

"No such thing as bad publicity"

If the angry twitter mob even notices you then it will just lead to people reading your story out of spite or curiosity. Just delete the angry comments and you've kickstarted your own fame.