How do girls feel about Harems for guys?

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
Ok, erm I mean it like this (let me flex my paint skills) xD
This is what I mean by polyamory being equivalent to each with their own harem.

Anyway, just write what you want to write.
Ahh... Now I get it HAHAHA. Took a while, thanks for the elaboration!

Sorry if I am confused by the question
Mate, if my family and I are confused by what I am saying, I really won't get mad at you for being confused because even I'm confused HAHAHA

But anyways, I read your whole comment. I do have 2 websites I'm posting on, this and royalroad. But, looking at this thread, I think I know what road to go on to.

ForestDweller

Waifu wars are fun. Pretty much a writer's dream because as you said, it means your work is popular enough.

I don't know whether my harem story has waifu wars, but people do have their own preferences. Though so far, there's only two girls that are the most popular. The big sister and the ojou-sama character. :s_tongue:

morhamza

I'm a guy, I fucking hate harems. It has never read as genuine to me, and that's probably because of my personal experience. My father has an harem, and let me tell you, none of the women involved get along.
In the stories I've read, the women always get along. There is a bit of jealousy, but it always comes off as childish. The characters and their emotions and personality don't feel like actual people.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Hmmmm. I'm a girl, and while I can't speak for other girls, I can give some personal insight from my perspective. In all honesty, harems written for guys just aren't my cup of tea. How do I put it....... it just doesn't appeal to me - no mojo to my jojo. No matter how well-written or realistic it is, I'm never going to read it. The same can be said for guys who'll never read my BL work no matter how much I've proofread it or plotted it through. It's just personal taste; a genre and its demographics, if you will.

For me, personally, there's no draw to reading a harem written for guys. I wouldn't really judge it, but it just feels like a chore to do so.

Harems are, though a dream for many guys, is a bit weird.
I don't know if "weird" is the term you're looking for. I'd probably go for "unrealistic" - but heck, is having an unrealistic story so bad? You're writing a fantasy here. I don't think every story has to be realistic. At the end of the day, you're doing this as a past-time, for free... I'd say you do you.

Now if you're talking about judgement......... look, someone out there's going to judge something or some other. Yes, I have met girls who think guys who write GL, loli or harems to be absolute shit on walls. Ding dongs, scum of the earth, decrepit creepsters who will die alone in his uncle's basement fingering himself, surrounded by loli posters. No matter what you do you're going to be seen as doing something wrong, man.

But for every girl who does judge a guy for doing so, there are those who don't. I don't think every girl will think the same thing, unless you're looking to generalize here. I wouldn't recommend doing the latter.

Sylverius

I'm a guy, I fucking hate harems. It has never read as genuine to me, and that's probably because of my personal experience. My father has an harem, and let me tell you, none of the women involved get along.
In the stories I've read, the women always get along. There is a bit of jealousy, but it always comes off as childish. The characters and their emotions and personality don't feel like actual people.
That's the thing. The people in many, or all, of the harem stories I've seen aren't really "romantic" of the sort. I think the best example of a good harem story is "Quintessential Quintuplets". I mean, Joey (The anime man) likes it, many people rate it good in MAL, sooo maybe I should learn from that? I don't know.
but heck, is having an unrealistic story so bad? You're writing a fantasy here. I don't think every story has to be realistic.
Yes, a story about living beings being by the book and their personalities not making them feel human is bad. At least that's my opinion. I know every story DOESN'T have to be realistic, but I want mine to BE realistic.
no mojo to my jojo
Moto moto or mojo jojo? Or Jojo Joestar?
Yes, I have met girls who think guys who write GL, loli or harems to be absolute shit on walls. Ding dongs, scum of the earth, decrepit creepsters who will die alone in his uncle's basement fingering himself, surrounded by loli posters.
Now that's just mean. I mean sure, Lolis being sexualized, I'll support them in trash talking them (LOLIS DESERVE TO BE HEADPATTED, NOT LEWDED), but Yuri and harems as well? *Sees the unfathomable amount of BL and reverse harem webtoons/manga and vice-versa genders*
They deserve a dropkick if they're similar to twitter justice warriors.
But for every girl who does judge a guy for doing so, there are those who don't. I don't think every girl will think the same thing, unless you're looking to generalize here. I wouldn't recommend doing the latter.
INSIGHTS PEOPLE. I get what you're trying to say, and I appreciate that. Again, the reason why I'm asking this is to see and understand the 2 sides better.

To be honest, I really have no idea what to say anymore. I'm not really the type of guy to actively speak in one topic so much like this. Although, I already had my answer, I want to see what else you guys have to say about "Harems" and why you're either good, okay, or bad with it.
1622471344901.png

All I can really say up to this point is thanks to the people who answered for me.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
but Yuri and harems as well? *Sees the unfathomable amount of BL and reverse harem webtoons/manga and vice-versa genders*
They deserve a dropkick if they're similar to twitter justice warriors.
Aha the same people do tend give us flak for our BL by saying we "fetishize gay male couples". Then they go on a tirade on how we BL connoisseurs are scum of the earth who'll die alone surrounded by cats LOL. We're probably snubbed at as much as GL connoisseurs and harem-lovers, no lie.

I don't really pay them any mind, really. Some people just judge for the sake of judging or feeling morally superior. Little do they know we're judging them back for it... :blob_whistle: It's like, judge-ception or something LOL

At least that's my opinion. I know every story DOESN'T have to be realistic, but I want mine to BE realistic.

Hmmm. In this case it'd be pretty challenging. In all honesty, realism in fiction's very tricky, especially when it comes to harem stories. The rest here seem to have contrasted polyamory with harems, and they do have a point. They're not necessarily the same thing, after all - for harems, if you do want a sense of realism in, you can try giving older texts like Yang Gui Fei a look to get a gist of it, or dig through historical articles. It's really because harems tend to place a woman in a situation where the man is "in charge" or the "lord" in a house or relationship. In this case, in a harem, it's a lot more about power and politics when it comes to how the women work around with things.

In the case of realistic harems, it's not about the female characters having personalities that are realistic but more of realistic choices, coping and mindset. I think that's what folk here are calling out regarding harem stories. Realistic harems would likely require intense historical research. It's not easy, and most readers might give up reading halfway because it's pretty convoluted, leading to a LOT of text just trying to explain the situation.

In short, it has a higher chance of the story becoming, well, boring.

INSIGHTS PEOPLE. I get what you're trying to say, and I appreciate that. Again, the reason why I'm asking this is to see and understand the 2 sides better.

Mmm yeah, I don't blame you for being curious overall. Gender differences do mean a difference in viewpoint, experiences, tastes, etc. Since demographical draw tends to be more based on psyche than the mechanics of writing such as grammar and structure, it's not a bad idea to ask around so you'll know.

From my perspective as a girl.... as far as I can tell - and I'm completely generalizing here - a lot of guys who write these things usually have never had relationships before, or even really spoken to a girl or have female friends, so all they know and can relate to are fantasies, mostly generated by others in the same boat. It can't be helped. No matter how hard they try to write a female character, a romance or that sort of thing, it's always going to wind up somewhat unrealistic to an actual girl reading it. To fault the guy writing it for it is just harsh. Not everyone can find love, after all. So why not let them love in their own way?

The only "problem" I can see that some girls might have with harems is that it's likely seen by them as a fantasy feeding into "toxic masculinity" or "toxic patriarchy" whereby it puts a group of women in the position as (sexual) objects, sat around a man and mooning over him, worshiping him. If the female characters get along, they're seen as "flat" and written without personality - if they don't, they're fighting over the guy, which is seen as "weak-willed and only thinking of men". In short, it can be read as "male domination, subjecting a group of women to a man's whims". So basically, it's a no-win from whichever perspective it's written.

But again, you are simply looking at a subset of girls who think that way about harems written for guys. I get being a feminist, truly I do, but I'm more leaning towards being on the middle of things. I can explain it to you what these types of girls are likely thinking, but the other thing I can also say are that a lot of girls aren't like that either. It's just that modern media in general has made this school of thought more available to young girls and women, therefore a good number of them are forming these opinions too.

Purity brigading is on the rise and not just on Twitter. It's seeping into a lot of other things too. I see purity brigade comments and judgement hating on us in BL anime/manga sites as well... then I actually got lectured at by a social justice activist in my CLASS in UNIVERSITY whom I ghosted in five minutes. Yay. Hurrah. Wonderful. Still have to see her face during class.... :blob_awkward:

Sylverius

Aha the same people do tend give us flak for our BL by saying we "fetishize gay male couples". Then they go on a tirade on how we BL connoisseurs are scum of the earth who'll die alone surrounded by cats LOL. We're probably snubbed at as much as GL connoisseurs and harem-lovers, no lie.

I don't really pay them any mind, really. Some people just judge for the sake of judging or feeling morally superior. Little do they know we're judging them back for it... :blob_whistle: It's like, judge-ception or something LOL
True, like why do you need to judge people's mistakes? If so, why can't we judge them to let them have a taste of their own medicine? Sounds childish, I know but I'm just pissed at twitter social justice warriors.
Hmmm. In this case it'd be pretty challenging. In all honesty, realism in fiction's very tricky, especially when it comes to harem stories. The rest here seem to have contrasted polyamory with harems, and they do have a point. They're not necessarily the same thing, after all - for harems, if you do want a sense of realism in, you can try giving older texts like Yang Gui Fei a look to get a gist of it, or dig through historical articles. It's really because harems tend to place a woman in a situation where the man is "in charge" or the "lord" in a house or relationship. In this case, in a harem, it's a lot more about power and politics when it comes to how the women work around with things.

In the case of realistic harems, it's not about the female characters having personalities that are realistic but more of realistic choices, coping and mindset. I think that's what folk here are calling out regarding harem stories. Realistic harems would likely require intense historical research. It's not easy, and most readers might give up reading halfway because it's pretty convoluted, leading to a LOT of text just trying to explain the situation.

In short, it has a higher chance of the story becoming, well, boring.
Don't worry, this choice of mine will make it NOT boring, trust me, I've mapped it all out and fleshed it out in my head. All I need to do now is to know whether it's worth it to make the season 2 or not.
a lot of guys who write these things usually have never had relationships before, or even really spoken to a girl or have female friends, so all they know and can relate to are fantasies, mostly generated by others in the same boat.
I can feel my heart cracking by how right you are... PAIN-PEKO
No matter how hard they try to write a female character, a romance or that sort of thing, it's always going to wind up somewhat unrealistic to an actual girl reading it.
That's why I want to understand the 2 sides, make the readers enjoy by how they are as a person. It's still hard making it work though since their personalities are a bit of a mess. Gran: A chuunibyou, Kenny: A wholesome guy, Levy: cool and serious girl, Bea: Shy. It's hard making their dialogues work because I'm both all and neither of the 4, I have their qualities, but I immediately closed it off or forgot it, it's a consequence of having a really bad memory. Another reason why I'm asking the girls' side is so I can flesh out the girls' side a lot more. Although I do plan on giving the side characters a spotlight, I'm still having a hard time making them shine whilst the MC has it.
The only "problem" I can see that some girls might have with harems is that it's likely seen by them as a fantasy feeding into "toxic masculinity" or "toxic patriarchy" whereby it puts a group of women in the position as (sexual) objects, sat around a man and mooning over him, worshiping him. If the female characters get along, they're seen as "flat" and written without personality - if they don't, they're fighting over the guy, which is seen as "weak-willed and only thinking of men". In short, it can be read as "male domination, subjecting a group of women to a man's whims". So basically, it's a no-win from whichever perspective it's written.
I do not dare of such a thing. I support Kazuma's belief... BECOME AN ADVOCATE OF GENDER EQUALITY.
But again, you are simply looking at a subset of girls who think that way about harems written for guys. I get being a feminist, truly I do, but I'm more leaning towards being on the middle of things. I can explain it to you what these types of girls are likely thinking, but the other thing I can also say are that a lot of girls aren't like that either. It's just that modern media in general has made this school of thought more available to young girls and women, therefore a good number of them are forming these opinions too.
Don't worry, giving me an opinion that's connected to this topic is more than enough, and I appreciate your effort for it:blobthumbsup:
Purity brigading is on the rise and not just on Twitter. It's seeping into a lot of other things too. I see purity brigade comments and judgement hating on us in BL anime/manga sites as well... then I actually got lectured at by a social justice activist in my CLASS in UNIVERSITY whom I ghosted in five minutes. Yay. Hurrah. Wonderful. Still have to see her face during class.... :blob_awkward:
Well that's just disrespectful... Of her, not you. I support those kinds of mangas/shows. You girls have BL? We have GL. It's simply that. Also, it's a story. It's just that, but it's another topic if it's actually offensive LOOKING AT YOU REDO OF HEALER. But anyways, all I'm saying is, I respect your fetishes (except for pedophilia, wtf). "You can like whatever story you want, I can like whatever story I like, so why do you have to butt in?" is what I'm simply saying.

Goodness me I just turned this into a rant hahaha

D

Deleted member 45782

Reminds me of another great grandparent and his two wives. My dad says they get along well and they coordinate, like switch sharing (when one pregnant, the other etc.). But then again, there's probably that they don't get along, however they're old now (the great grandma and great grandpa passed away so there's only one great grandma left from this relationship) and may not tell it to their kids and grandkids bc they view it as elder personal business probably. My biological great grandma wasn't well liked by her mother in law either since she wasn't the one she picked. I think there were definite times they don't get along with each other. Their kids and grandkids aren't really focused on that, just trying get along as one big family...some aunts and uncles don't get along though idk if its bc just they don't persobality wise (most likely this) or more deep down whos the mom (maybe just added touch to the difference in personalities). I do know my grandpa doesnt like his mother in law a bit (the great grandma we still have) bc how the other great grandma was treated (actual biological mom of my granma). And one grandma moved to another country since at that time they didnt accept them having two wives (is this just for immigrants? Cuz theres families that have multiple wives in america too..maybe i heard just a simplified version from my dad). We visit our great granma still even if not directly come from her cause its not about who is who anymore, we still think of em as all great granparent and grandprt to us; plus the other lived in a different place and passed away anyways. Great granma i always visit is friendly so yeah. Probably they dont get along in past, but could be mellowed out as they got older or they just dont wanna bring stuff in. So even if dad mention they coordinate sharing really well, i think i get some hints that its its not exactly all rosy and stuff, althu perhaps they mellowed out years later (or not much of choice so just cope getting along maybe) idk.

Personally i think everyone getting along in harems is rare, and there are many cases where they have grudges but its hidden or turn blind eye too, but can lead to bitter family feud or just really not get along. Then again, i don't know the whole story (cause its simplified down to the great grandkids) and ik there's probably some of those relationships that do get along.

This is talking about harems irl. Ofc harem in writing is ultimately depending on what writer wants to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
This is a question I've been curious about. You see, I like making my characters more "human". This was because I was inspired by "Attack on Titan". Really good show, but don't watch it because the ending's utter Dogshit. Back on the topic, I want the characters to be "Human". I do read some stupid stories, these stories are basically about how "the MC is super OP oh wow he gets those puss-puss for free oh EZ, this girl likes me? Well I didn't know still wanna suck my D?" type of shit. It hurts, but it's very rare to come across really good stories. So, I decided, "Fuck it, why not make my own good story (self-proclaimed)?". As I took in many inspirations, stories like "Berserk", "Attack on Titan", "Tensura", "Beginning after the End", "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood", "BNHA", "Mushoku Tensei", "Konosuba" and... SO MUCH MORE, that I saw one similarity between the majority of them... They included Harems. And they're in medieval times. With magic. Now, this is a huge problem in the story I'm trying to write. Harems, though they were in medieval times and a dream of many guys, isn't so fair with my story. I, for one, like being fair with guys and girls. I want it to be an equal footing, however, though I have this kind of vision, I want to see your opinions.

Harems are, though a dream for many guys, is a bit weird. If you, the lover or the main girl of the guy, suddenly brings home about 10 other girls, would you be okay with it? Or, for the guys out there, if your girl were to suddenly bring out 10 guys to your home, would you be okay with it?

I wanna see your opinions on this, and depending on your opinions, I might change up the future part of the story. Why? Well, because I'm on a 50/50 stand with this.
Well, I'm sorry for the upcoming bible my dear friend but as a woman, I feel like my insights might help you.
So firstly, before jumping into how I feel about it, you need to define certain details of extreme importance that will relate to the culture/time period you are in. For example, if your story is based on the European countries of today then it would be very unlikely that a woman would accept her husband bring home another lady or vice versa but, on the other hand, if your story is based on the past, especially when there were Kings and Emperors, then it is not unusual to have concubines of mistress, especially if you had a high status/ a title.
Of course, in these periods, it's not like the women would be happy to see another rival, since that's what they saw each other as, but that doesn't mean that all of them were like that. Sometimes, there could actually be love among people, even if the relationship is between more than two people.
Now, personally, I can tell you I am not very interested, as a woman, to see my partner with someone else, in fact, if another woman was brought back home I would be furious, to say the least. But that is because I am not into those types of relationships.
I have met a couple who had relationships (mostly 18+ things) outside and inside of their own relationship as long as there was approval on both parts. I think that as long as there is consent between the couple then it is quite alright to create a more Harem setting. Of course, if you want to create that setting but the MC is not really into it in the beginning you have to create a good character development (otherwise it will look like: I hate it but the next chapter I randomly love it?).
I can also say that, whether it is Harem or Reverse Harem in stories, I personally love them but I don't like it when the Male Lead / Female Lead ends up with more than one character (but that is due to my firm belief of two hearts being connected is enough).
This all just to say that, after you decide both the time/culture you are placing your story in, you can easily create a Harem setting, even in the days of today with the proper character development! Good luck in your writing and I hope I helped in any way! :blobtaco:

Sylverius

Well, I'm sorry for the upcoming bible my dear friend but as a woman, I feel like my insights might help you.
Don't worry, my novel isn't some sort of bible or some shit you're referring to, the harem's just something like a romance point... At least that's what I'm referring it to if I were to choose to add it.

So, I've read @Not_A_Symphony's whole comment, a thing I can say about their comment is a "Thank you for your insights". Sadly, that's all I can say, and if you're worried that my novel would turn utter dogshit because of the harem and all, I won't let it happen. After scouring through 2-4 pages worth of comments, I've found the best outcome and edited it to the point that it can't be called an utter dogshit. So don't worry Symphony, you providing your own insight is already helpful, and since you provided some more about the past medieval stuff, you helped out a lot more than you could think of, and I sincerely thank you for that.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
True, like why do you need to judge people's mistakes? If so, why can't we judge them to let them have a taste of their own medicine? Sounds childish, I know but I'm just pissed at twitter social justice warriors.
That's the thing about social justice - it's one-sided. There's having an opinion, and then there's being an extremist. Social justice activists tend to be extremists, which means they can do upon others, but cannot have others do upon them. It's probably why I just ignore them. It's too much trouble to even be blocking them. They'll know they're being disliked and feed on the negativity, finding new ways to target others.

I can feel my heart cracking by how right you are... PAIN-PEKO
Lol you'll live! It's not like you won't ever have female friends or have the opportunity to talk to girls in the future or things won't change. I mean, there are girls around SH as well, you can try making discussions which they'll reply in. The other way is to read the stories women are writing to get an idea as to what goes through their heads, or scrawl through consumer profiles available online. Alternatively, you can try looking at comments written by girls who enjoy a genre targeted at girls. We have discussions there among ourselves, so it's a good way to gauge how we're like in a natural environment too.

That's why I want to understand the 2 sides, make the readers enjoy by how they are as a person. It's still hard making it work though since their personalities are a bit of a mess. Another reason why I'm asking the girls' side is so I can flesh out the girls' side a lot more. Although I do plan on giving the side characters a spotlight, I'm still having a hard time making them shine whilst the MC has it.
I see. In my personal opinion I wouldn't worry too much about it - though I wouldn't really recommend building a character's personality solely based on their gender either, if you're looking for realism in your works. It'll end up stereotypical and pretty hard to enjoy for some of the peripheral readers - the same reason why a lot of girls can't relate to female characters in anime and manga.

Then again, if your core audience are young males who are interested in fantasy feminity based on anime/manga, it's definitely a good formula. I don't think a lot of weeb guys would actually like irl girls; we might actually be considered pretty alien to them in a way. Difficult for them to grasp, difficult for them to like, difficult for them to approach. In this case, whether it's a harem or not, a character like that probably won't do so well.

it's another topic if it's actually offensive LOOKING AT YOU REDO OF HEALER.
Eh... I can't be the only one out there who doesn't find that anime offensive. I can't take it seriously enough to be offended...

Then I like to scroll down to the Disqus comments and see what the "manly men of culture" are saying LOL. Some people get offended and disgusted by those "toxic" comments, but I'm like, hey, treasure trove of lols. It's pretty interesting to see what guys who like smutty anime actually think. No to toot my own horn, but I write guys pretty well because of all that lurking and reading their comments HEHHEHEHEEEE :blob_evil:

I think the biggest revelation I got from this thread is that @LinXueLian is female.
What the

Is this true????????? I thought everyone knew I was a girl, I write BL....

EternalSunset0

What the

Is this true????????? I thought everyone knew I was a girl, I write BL....
I mean, I had a feeling, but nothing's ever confirmed. Besides, I also know a couple of male people irl who like BL. A co-worker is one of them.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I really wonder where all the harem MCs have the time to date several people :blob_hmm_two:
I mean, I had a feeling, but nothing's ever confirmed. Besides, I also know a couple of male people irl who like BL. A co-worker is one of them.
Handsome is the new beautiful for girls. Don’t call them cute, call them dashing beauties. :blob_uwu:

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
I'm super girly though :blob_aww: :blob_happy: Hehehehe

Ohhhhhh really???? OMG. Where do these majestic BL-loving magical male unicorns live :blob_aww::blob_aww::blob_aww::blob_aww::blob_aww::blob_aww:

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
Don't worry, my novel isn't some sort of bible or some shit you're referring to, the harem's just something like a romance point... At least that's what I'm referring it to if I were to choose to add it.

So, I've read @Not_A_Symphony's whole comment, a thing I can say about their comment is a "Thank you for your insights". Sadly, that's all I can say, and if you're worried that my novel would turn utter dogshit because of the harem and all, I won't let it happen. After scouring through 2-4 pages worth of comments, I've found the best outcome and edited it to the point that it can't be called an utter dogshit. So don't worry Symphony, you providing your own insight is already helpful, and since you provided some more about the past medieval stuff, you helped out a lot more than you could think of, and I sincerely thank you for that.
When I said "sorry for the bible" was because I wrote a really big text on the comment (it was a comparison), I wasn't referring to your work itself or even the whole Harem thematic. In other words, it would be the same thing if I said: "Sorry for the big text" or "Sorry for the will", in other words, it was me apologizing beforehand since I knew my input would be rather long.
Listen, I never once said your novel would become/is "dogshit". Everyone's ideas are different as well as their ways of writing, so it is not my role to judge if a novel is "good" or "dogshit" just because it matches or doesn't match my taste. So I didn't say your novel was bad, sucked, or would become "dogshit".
In your thread, you asked what was the input of the female audience and the only thing I did was tell you my opinion on Harem's as well as some insight that might help you (like the culture, time, and character development).
I really needed to comment again since I feel like you might have misinterpreted what I wrote with the best intentions as a personal offense (since you think I am basically saying that your novel is "dogshit" when I never once referred to your novel itself).
I only approached the Harem thematic generally and gave some information that you might or might not want to use in your novel, alongside some situations I see in Harem based stories that are either cliché or not that well written, making the reader lose his/her interest, however, none of these were related to your novel in specific (I never read it, so how could I talk about it in the first place?)!
I am glad to know you've found the path you want to take in your story and that is going to your liking. Good luck and wish you all the best :blobtaco:

Sylverius

Eh... I can't be the only one out there who doesn't find that anime offensive. I can't take it seriously enough to be offended...

Then I like to scroll down to the Disqus comments and see what the "manly men of culture" are saying LOL. Some people get offended and disgusted by those "toxic" comments, but I'm like, hey, treasure trove of lols. It's pretty interesting to see what guys who like smutty anime actually think. No to toot my own horn, but I write guys pretty well because of all that lurking and reading their comments HEHHEHEHEEEE :blob_evil:
Well, I call it offensive because of Keyaruga's morals doh. I'm not gonna say anything else, except for the fact that that shit is hentai.
That's the thing about social justice - it's one-sided. There's having an opinion, and then there's being an extremist. Social justice activists tend to be extremists, which means they can do upon others, but cannot have others do upon them. It's probably why I just ignore them. It's too much trouble to even be blocking them. They'll know they're being disliked and feed on the negativity, finding new ways to target others.
*Loads shotgun with malicious intent* I suppose that they'll get a taste of their own medicine in due time...
Lol you'll live! It's not like you won't ever have female friends or have the opportunity to talk to girls in the future or things won't change. I mean, there are girls around SH as well, you can try making discussions which they'll reply in. The other way is to read the stories women are writing to get an idea as to what goes through their heads, or scrawl through consumer profiles available online. Alternatively, you can try looking at comments written by girls who enjoy a genre targeted at girls. We have discussions there among ourselves, so it's a good way to gauge how we're like in a natural environment too.
That's a hard thing, like most of the content for women that I see consist of being surrounded by handsome men and all that. And, in the internet, I basically assume everyone's a guy unless they provide proof that proves that they are girls. Like you for example, I saw you claim yourself to be a girl, your insights are of the female's side, you make BLs (Which I don't mind, to each their own with respect), etc. etc. A manhua I've seen targeted for girls that I enjoy because of their interactions, is "My husband hides his beauty" (decent, but a good time killer for sure). Sure, it's kind of cheesy and all, but it's guilty pleasure for me. Anyways back on track, I usually see comments of them saying "Just don't hide anymore!" and fangirl stuff like that. So, it's hard to find some good shit comments given by actual girls.
I see. In my personal opinion I wouldn't worry too much about it - though I wouldn't really recommend building a character's personality solely based on their gender either, if you're looking for realism in your works. It'll end up stereotypical and pretty hard to enjoy for some of the peripheral readers - the same reason why a lot of girls can't relate to female characters in anime and manga.

Then again, if your core audience are young males who are interested in fantasy feminity based on anime/manga, it's definitely a good formula. I don't think a lot of weeb guys would actually like irl girls; we might actually be considered pretty alien to them in a way. Difficult for them to grasp, difficult for them to like, difficult for them to approach. In this case, whether it's a harem or not, a character like that probably won't do so well.
I don't write solely on their genders, I like to mix-mash some personalities, and even ask some of my IRL friends about their OCs in which case, I happily put in (less stress for character building hehehe) and develop in the story itself. I give them personalities, such as Bea's shyness, which I will actually progress, making her braver and all. That's not really a spoiler since it's obvious that she will be. The reason why I wanted them to be realistic is because of Attack on Titan. Me and my brother fell in love with how the characters there were humans. Some actually being broken by the fact that they have to face the titans, Eren being so mad at the titans to the point where his goal is to drive them extinct and proves it with his actions. Those are the types of characters I want. My core audience is... Well yeah, young males who want isekai. But I want to change isekai. For me, isekai had been an escapism from reality, but now that I've grown up, I knew that there was no escaping reality. That's when I thought, "What if we show them what isekai would feel if it really did happen?" With the story my brother gave me as the foundation, I basically destroyed it all excluding its original goal, and changed almost everything. I want girls to like the male characters, I want the males to like the females, heck maybe even same gender liking their gender, I want to make a novel like that.
I really needed to comment again since I feel like you might have misinterpreted what I wrote with the best intentions as a personal offense (since you think I am basically saying that your novel is "dogshit" when I never once referred to your novel itself).
Oh, did it look like that? Oops... So uhh, I never thought that, so uhh sorry about that... I thought that you were worried that other people might think of my story as dogshit. I know you wrote it with the best intentions, and uhh if I said some stuff that suggests that I was mad, I'd like to clear up that I wasn't XD. Don't worry, I barely take everything seriously except for things I need help on such as the insights of different genders, don't worry mate, I'm not mad, nor was I ever, I was just reassuring you hahaha
When I said "sorry for the bible" was because I wrote a really big text on the comment (it was a comparison), I wasn't referring to your work itself.
Oh... Right, my bad.

So uhh Sorry about that @Not_A_Symphony, again, if you want me to say it, I'm not mad, I was just reassuring you. Even now, I'm just reassuring you that I'm not mad. The reason why I communicate like this is because I only talk with my family in long topics similar to this topic. I'm sorry if I came out as rude, I never meant to be rude, nor have I ever planned to BE rude, it's just the way I talk. I am trying to change my speech pattern so that I won't come off as rude anymore. Again, I'm sorry if I came out as rude or mad, I never meant to do so.

Also, thanks for the motivation guys!

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
Well, I call it offensive because of Keyaruga's morals doh. I'm not gonna say anything else, except for the fact that that shit is hentai.

*Loads shotgun with malicious intent* I suppose that they'll get a taste of their own medicine in due time...

That's a hard thing, like most of the content for women that I see consist of being surrounded by handsome men and all that. And, in the internet, I basically assume everyone's a guy unless they provide proof that proves that they are girls. Like you for example, I saw you claim yourself to be a girl, your insights are of the female's side, you make BLs (Which I don't mind, to each their own with respect), etc. etc. A manhua I've seen targeted for girls that I enjoy because of their interactions, is "My husband hides his beauty" (decent, but a good time killer for sure). Sure, it's kind of cheesy and all, but it's guilty pleasure for me. Anyways back on track, I usually see comments of them saying "Just don't hide anymore!" and fangirl stuff like that. So, it's hard to find some good shit comments given by actual girls.

I don't write solely on their genders, I like to mix-mash some personalities, and even ask some of my IRL friends about their OCs in which case, I happily put in (less stress for character building hehehe) and develop in the story itself. I give them personalities, such as Bea's shyness, which I will actually progress, making her braver and all. That's not really a spoiler since it's obvious that she will be. The reason why I wanted them to be realistic is because of Attack on Titan. Me and my brother fell in love with how the characters there were humans. Some actually being broken by the fact that they have to face the titans, Eren being so mad at the titans to the point where his goal is to drive them extinct and proves it with his actions. Those are the types of characters I want. My core audience is... Well yeah, young males who want isekai. But I want to change isekai. For me, isekai had been an escapism from reality, but now that I've grown up, I knew that there was no escaping reality. That's when I thought, "What if we show them what isekai would feel if it really did happen?" With the story my brother gave me as the foundation, I basically destroyed it all excluding its original goal, and changed almost everything. I want girls to like the male characters, I want the males to like the females, heck maybe even same gender liking their gender, I want to make a novel like that.

Oh, did it look like that? Oops... So uhh, I never thought that, so uhh sorry about that... I thought that you were worried that other people might think of my story as dogshit. I know you wrote it with the best intentions, and uhh if I said some stuff that suggests that I was mad, I'd like to clear up that I wasn't XD. Don't worry, I barely take everything seriously except for things I need help on such as the insights of different genders, don't worry mate, I'm not mad, nor was I ever, I was just reassuring you hahaha

Oh... Right, my bad.

So uhh Sorry about that @Not_A_Symphony, again, if you want me to say it, I'm not mad, I was just reassuring you. Even now, I'm just reassuring you that I'm not mad. The reason why I communicate like this is because I only talk with my family in long topics similar to this topic. I'm sorry if I came out as rude, I never meant to be rude, nor have I ever planned to BE rude, it's just the way I talk. I am trying to change my speech pattern so that I won't come off as rude anymore. Again, I'm sorry if I came out as rude or mad, I never meant to do so.

Also, thanks for the motivation guys!
I really thought you were mad so I was like :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: * I only wanted to help * :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: But I'm glad to know you are not, I feel a lot more relaxed now! Sorry for the confusion :blobtaco:

Sylverius

I really thought you were mad so I was like :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: * I only wanted to help * :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: But I'm glad to know you are not, I feel a lot more relaxed now! Sorry for the confusion :blobtaco:
Hahaha, sorry for that. I'm just not really used to talking to other people, heck this part of my life is the first time I engaged myself into talking to other people without expecting for in-game rewards hahaha

Still, it's okay and it's good that you addressed it quickly so that we can clear up the misunderstanding, the one thing I hate the most is the fact that there are people who are getting dragged down because of me. We all good on da hood XD
I don't write solely on their genders, I like to mix-mash some personalities, and even ask some of my IRL friends about their OCs in which case, I happily put in (less stress for character building hehehe) and develop in the story itself.
It'd also be nice if some were to submit their OCs so I can have less hassle in making side characters nyehehehe

Last edited: