Post your female character and I'll tell you what I think of her from my male reader's perspective

Napelynn

I have a question. Can I use a character thats sorta.... genderless? Well, the circumstances are that he/she kinda switches around the gender a lot but if your fine with it, I does it counts as a female character? I have a novel of it currently publish and his/her circumstances are kinda explained to be kinda confusing but if its just actual females and not ambiguous ones, I'm fine not putting him/her on. Just saying.
You can use a genderless character, I don’t care. The only thing you can’t use is a male character.
Maybe I misread this thread perhaps because it was referring to female authors making their own female characters? I'm actually a guy...
I don’t care if you’re a guy. The only reason why the thread talks about female authors is because I took most of it from LinXueLian

SailusGebel

This made me chuckle, not gonna lie.

Although out of curiosity's sakes, what appearance do you like? I may have missed some, but I don't think I've seen you like any design in this thread so far. I hope that didn't come off as brash or what, but it seems that you have a rather... is unique the right term(?) taste for girl design.

Or at least a bit averse to the common "attractive anime/webnovel girl" appearances.
I'm not going to say that my taste is unique. It's just that I can see a lot of informal\misfit looking young people on the streets. Rarely you will find a girl of my age without any kind of piercings or a single tattoo. They are much bolder with their hairstyles and hair colors as well. The same goes for guys. Those who are currently studying in school look more adult than I was looking in their years. And yet everyone insists on the usual Japanese-inspired designs. It's non-representative and stale.

I like it when design goes against the usual standards of beauty. I also like when designs focus on a fetish other than boobs. Yeah-yeah, boobs are great, so on, we all know it. Yet you can easily fetishize other parts. Butts, legs\thighs, hips, feet, back, hands\fingers, so on.

To illustrate what I mean, I will name a few examples. Annie Leonhart, and her not-so-usual nose shape. I like her design. Alcina Dimitrescu. She is tall, and her face produces an effect of an uncanny valley. I like her design. She captured my attention when she first appeared for a few seconds in the very first teaser. Noi from Dorohedoro and how muscly she is. I find her design interesting. Bayonetta. She may have an overused face archetype in the first game, but she has her extremely long legs that gain all the attention. It makes her somewhat unique. Midari Ikishima from Kakegurui, this I think is self-explanatory. Those whom I named I find both beautiful, and I find their designs interesting\unique. Maybe not the MOST unique, but they stand out among the others.

Agentt

Thighs
Name: Eliza Tarbell
Visuals: pale like the dead, golden hair, tall - not that any of that matters. The evil gods will make you think her beautiful even if her head gets chopped off and replaced with a shovel.
Description: 5 sentences, here I go!
1) Inhuman - former non-human with a not very human mindset to be exact.
2) Sadistic - murder and torture are fun! (not my opinion).
3) Self-indulgent - her way or the highway (full of undead, ready to bring havoc to the world).
4) Treats humans like animals - as all vampires do, because that's what we are to them.
5) Manipulative - she knows what makes intelligent species tick, and she makes them tick.
Quite a well written one, naisu.
So vampire kinda garentees her win, and she has a unique power system. White hair might be better?

SailusGebel

Name: Eliza Tarbell
Visuals: pale like the dead, golden hair, tall - not that any of that matters. The evil gods will make you think her beautiful even if her head gets chopped off and replaced with a shovel.
Description: 5 sentences, here I go!
1) Inhuman - former non-human with a not very human mindset to be exact.
2) Sadistic - murder and torture are fun! (not my opinion).
3) Self-indulgent - her way or the highway (full of undead, ready to bring havoc to the world).
4) Treats humans like animals - as all vampires do, because that's what we are to them.
5) Manipulative - she knows what makes intelligent species tick, and she makes them tick.
Her description feels like you are picking traits. Like you are choosing traits when designing a character in an RPG game, and you decide to pick these. They even have small descriptions to them so that players won't get confused.
With such a description, I feel like she is a dull evil character. A one-dimensional evil being that is evil because she is evil. It's literally a one-sentence description. Because she is a vampire(being a vampire makes you inhuman), she sees humans as cattle thus she is sadistic, manipulative, and self-indulgent.

TotallyHuman

Her description feels like you are picking traits. Like you are choosing traits when designing a character in an RPG game, and you decide to pick these. They even have small descriptions to them so that players won't get confused.
With such a description, I feel like she is a dull evil character. A one-dimensional evil being that is evil because she is evil. It's literally a one-sentence description. Because she is a vampire(being a vampire makes you inhuman), she sees humans as cattle thus she is sadistic, manipulative, and self-indulgent.
I guess I have to defend myself(my character?)?
Because I wrote it in 5 lines, a lot of settings were lost, I never stated that she was evil, she does view humans as cattle but that's not the reason she's sadistic and manipulative and she has her own view on morality and- oh, whatever.
Honestly, I'm not in the mood for defending her. Yeah, I intended for her to be evil from the start, it's at her root. I then added more settings to give more dimensions to her, but at the core she's just a malicious entity that indulges in suffering of others. I like it.

EternalSunset0

I'm not going to say that my taste is unique. It's just that I can see a lot of informal\misfit looking young people on the streets. Rarely you will find a girl of my age without any kind of piercings or a single tattoo. They are much bolder with their hairstyles and hair colors as well. The same goes for guys. Those who are currently studying in school look more adult than I was looking in their years. And yet everyone insists on the usual Japanese-inspired designs. It's non-representative and stale.

I like it when design goes against the usual standards of beauty. I also like when designs focus on a fetish other than boobs. Yeah-yeah, boobs are great, so on, we all know it. Yet you can easily fetishize other parts. Butts, legs\thighs, hips, feet, back, hands\fingers, so on.

To illustrate what I mean, I will name a few examples. Annie Leonhart, and her not-so-usual nose shape. I like her design. Alcina Dimitrescu. She is tall, and her face produces an effect of an uncanny valley. I like her design. She captured my attention when she first appeared for a few seconds in the very first teaser. Noi from Dorohedoro and how muscly she is. I find her design interesting. Bayonetta. She may have an overused face archetype in the first game, but she has her extremely long legs that gain all the attention. It makes her somewhat unique. Midari Ikishima from Kakegurui, this I think is self-explanatory. Those whom I named I find both beautiful, and I find their designs interesting\unique. Maybe not the MOST unique, but they stand out among the others.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense considering your opinions.

I (obviously) prefer the standard designs in contrast, but I hard agree with you on the different fetishes. Thighs are great. Especially if you put some good old ZR there with dem very fit thigh-highs :blob_aww:

SailusGebel

I guess I have to defend myself(my character?)?
Because I wrote it in 5 lines, a lot of settings were lost, I never stated that she was evil, she does view humans as cattle but that's not the reason she's sadistic and manipulative and she has her own view on morality and- oh, whatever.
Honestly, I'm not in the mood for defending her. Yeah, I intended for her to be evil from the start, it's at her root. I then added more settings to give more dimensions to her, but at the core she's just a malicious entity that indulges in suffering of others. I like it.
You don't need to defend her. Because it wasn't my intention to 'attack.' I may sound brash, but I simply stated my opinion. I said how I see her, not how she really is. Also, I said that your description doesn't do justice for your character. There is way too little info about her to formulate a proper judgement\opinion about her.

TotallyHuman

You don't need to defend her. Because it wasn't my intention to 'attack.' I may sound brash, but I simply stated my opinion. I said how I see her, not how she really is. Also, I said that your description doesn't do justice for your character. There is way too little info about her to formulate a proper judgement\opinion about her.
Oh

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
Ayyy yo :blob_okay:

So I've been seeing some females around here wondering what a guy might think of their female characters, whether they're likable or not

So post five sentences describing your female character, main, side, villain, etc, from one of your stories, either in the works or still unpublished, etc

Pictures to illustrate visuals are also fine too, but please resize them
I did this with Lin Xue so I will take my chances here as well! :blob_sir:

Keep in mind my story is based on a Kingdom where social status is everything and this character is my MC, she has lived 9 lives but always died by flames on the night of her 18th birthday (she is currently on her 10th life).

Name: Ophelia Criswell
Nickname (in the novel): The Black Rose
Visuals: Long straight black hair with a fringe, Light blue eyes, Pale pink lips, Pale skin (basically looks like a porcelain doll)
Personality: Cunning, Intelligent, Logical, Just, Cold
Description: She is the 2nd daughter of a Duke (which is the highest-ranking below royalty) and has a poor relationship with her family since they blame her for murdering her mother at birth (she is supposedly "cursed"). And so, after dying over and over she wishes to live lustfully right after getting rid of her fiancées (she married in previous lives) until she dies. She doesn't believe in destiny or fate, but she forces herself to believe in God as a justification for these events (dying over and over again). She doesn't seek revenge but, if people who hurt her approach her with ill intentions, she loves to punish them accordingly. She also doesn't "believe"/"trust" in Love due to being betrayed by the person she loved in one of her lives.
1622983856977.png

This is a character sheet I've been working on for her. She is somewhat like this (even though this one doesn't have colors but you get the idea I think!)
I can't say more otherwise I will be talking endlessly :blobtaco:

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
Dear Lord, for what reason you had forsaken this one? Why do you do this to me? Is this my trial? Why do you keep sending slender, beautiful females with long dark hair to me?

Jokes aside, visuals... Just look into all the other female characters here.

At least her personality isn't the usual cheerful\king\shy girl. Though, she still feels one-dimensional from the current description(for me personally). There isn't much info about her actual character. What I understood is that she is simpleminded\muscle brained and has a sister complex. One sentence, that's it. It's too little info to give a proper judgment\form opinion. If you want, you can elaborate, add a background, and I will give you a more detailed opinion.
hahahahahahaha noice okay lemme give a brief background:

she and the MC aren't blood-related but more like sworn sisters; they started out in this life as simple beggars on the street who found each other and survived that way before a cultivation sect picked them up. for wu yelin it was as natural as breathing to protect the small and weak: "if we don't have parents or older siblings, then i'll be the parent and the older sibling!" her reasoning is that as long as they stick together and she's super strong, nothing can hurt them with her protection. uwu also being the strongest means she can train her sister like hell until she gets tough too R.I.P.

but her sense of justice is also very firm; she reasons that the only way the world can stay at peace is if people uphold values of right and wrong. in the original novel her sister went down the villainess route and they had a battle face-off that ended up with the sister's defeat/death. although wu yelin didn't deal the killing blow (the sister fell off a cliff into Bad Stuff underneath and instantly poofed), she still considers herself the executioner and the sister's death a (regrettable) necessity. others might laugh at her ideals and claim the world isn't so black and white, but she's the type to insist that you need black and white before you can play with shades of gray.

uhhh what else well if my story was a murder mystery she'd be the character who seems suspicious because they're upright beyond reproach until you realize ah, it's a heart full/head empty kind of simpleton whose simple words hold inherent truths~

SailusGebel

I did this with Lin Xue so I will take my chances here as well! :blob_sir:

Keep in mind my story is based on a Kingdom where social status is everything and this character is my MC, she has lived 9 lives but always died by flames on the night of her 18th birthday (she is currently on her 10th life).

Name: Ophelia Criswell
Nickname (in the novel): The Black Rose
Visuals: Long straight black hair with a fringe, Light blue eyes, Pale pink lips, Pale skin (basically looks like a porcelain doll)
Personality: Cunning, Intelligent, Logical, Just, Cold
Description: She is the 2nd daughter of a Duke (which is the highest-ranking below royalty) and has a poor relationship with her family since they blame her for murdering her mother at birth (she is supposedly "cursed"). And so, after dying over and over she wishes to live lustfully right after getting rid of her fiancées (she married in previous lives) until she dies. She doesn't believe in destiny or fate, but she forces herself to believe in God as a justification for these events (dying over and over again). She doesn't seek revenge but, if people who hurt her approach her with ill intentions, she loves to punish them accordingly. She also doesn't "believe"/"trust" in Love due to being betrayed by the person she loved in one of her lives.
View attachment 7988
This is a character sheet I've been working on for her. She is somewhat like this (even though this one doesn't have colors but you get the idea I think!)
I can't say more otherwise I will be talking endlessly :blobtaco:
Personality is alright. Somewhat classical character. Not as unique, but I can see how her traits developed from the way she lived\her background.

As for the visuals... It's a joke... It's all a joke, mother forgive me. :blob_teary:
hahahahahahaha noice okay lemme give a brief background:

she and the MC aren't blood-related but more like sworn sisters; they started out in this life as simple beggars on the street who found each other and survived that way before a cultivation sect picked them up. for wu yelin it was as natural as breathing to protect the small and weak: "if we don't have parents or older siblings, then i'll be the parent and the older sibling!" her reasoning is that as long as they stick together and she's super strong, nothing can hurt them with her protection. uwu also being the strongest means she can train her sister like hell until she gets tough too R.I.P.

but her sense of justice is also very firm; she reasons that the only way the world can stay at peace is if people uphold values of right and wrong. in the original novel her sister went down the villainess route and they had a battle face-off that ended up with the sister's defeat/death. although wu yelin didn't deal the killing blow (the sister fell off a cliff into Bad Stuff underneath and instantly poofed), she still considers herself the executioner and the sister's death a (regrettable) necessity. others might laugh at her ideals and claim the world isn't so black and white, but she's the type to insist that you need black and white before you can play with shades of gray.

uhhh what else well if my story was a murder mystery she'd be the character who seems suspicious because they're upright beyond reproach until you realize ah, it's a heart full/head empty kind of simpleton whose simple words hold inherent truths~
Okay, that's much better. Can't say I'm a fan though. For me personally, she still doesn't feel 'alive.' It's more of my feeling rather than an actual critique, so it's hard to formulate.

Last edited:

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
Personality is alright. Somewhat classical character. Not as unique, but I can see how her traits developed from the way she lived\her background.
Well, it is supposed to be a villainess, so she has to have the most classical traits that portrait her anger and disgust but, even though she might be a bit "normie" in that way, she is kind of like Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter (has a tremendous amount of bloodlust and is very psycho). I think that this specific trait and her "continuous" faith in God are pretty much the two elements that make her different from the majority of villainess novels (oh, and the fact that she is really bad, and not someone who is "pretending" to be bad or something")

As for the visuals... It's a joke... It's all a joke, mother forgive me. :blob_teary:
Ophelia grabs the dagger and points it to Gebel's neck, forcing him to look into her cold, bloodthirsty eyes.
"Mother? You'd do well to know your place, mister Gebel... It's mistress for you" :blobspearpeek:

*wink wink*

I'm glad you like them tho! It took me hours to make them how I somewhat pictured her ( me at the end of the 7th hour > :blob_catflip:)

SailusGebel

Well, it is supposed to be a villainess, so she has to have the most classical traits that portrait her anger and disgust but, even though she might be a bit "normie" in that way, she is kind of like Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter (has a tremendous amount of bloodlust and is very psycho). I think that this specific trait and her "continuous" faith in God are pretty much the two elements that make her different from the majority of villainess novels (oh, and the fact that she is really bad, and not someone who is "pretending" to be bad or something")

Ophelia grabs the dagger and points it to Gebel's neck, forcing him to look into her cold, bloodthirsty eyes.
"Mother? You'd do well to know your place, mister Gebel... It's mistress for you" :blobspearpeek:

*wink wink*

I'm glad you like them tho! It took me hours to make them how I somewhat pictured her ( me at the end of the 7th hour > :blob_catflip:)
I'm sorry for ruining your mood. But I DON'T like her visuals. The 'joke thing' is what Comedian from Watchmen said before he was thrown out of the window of his apartment building(skyscraper). Just look through this thread, no need to do an in-depth study. Simply look through all the character's visuals. Their looks. Yours is the EIGTH that has dark, long hair. Yours is the EIGTH that is a slender woman. Well, at least you specified that she looks like a porcelain doll.
Sigh... I'm starving for an unusual character design.

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
I'm sorry for ruining your mood. But I DON'T like her visuals. The 'joke thing' is what Comedian from Watchmen said before he was thrown out of the window of his apartment building(skyscraper). Just look through this thread, no need to do an in-depth study. Simply look through all the character's visuals. Their looks. Yours is the EIGTH that has dark, long hair. Yours is the EIGTH that is a slender woman. Well, at least you specified that she looks like a porcelain doll.
o snap if you want those i'll throw one your way
but yeah all of mine are dark haired peeps because they're in a chinese cultivation setting >:3

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
Well RIP, it is fine though I will just :blob_catflip: :blob_catflip: :blob_catflip: I'm kidding, of course, everyone has their own tastes.
But the thing is if you want an unusual character design isekais, RPG's and science fiction story usually have them, now stories that are more "realistic" end up having the same colors or even human traces :blobtaco:

EternalSunset0

Now I kinda feel bad for you because I feel it's gonna be a loooong thread for you at the rate we're going.

On hindsight, I think I should have picked any of the other heroines. My story's a pseudo-harem anyway. Just that I liked the visuals of main girl the most.

SailusGebel

Well RIP, it is fine though I will just :blob_catflip: :blob_catflip: :blob_catflip: I'm kidding, of course, everyone has their own tastes.
But the thing is if you want an unusual character design isekais, RPG's and science fiction story usually have them, now stories that are more "realistic" end up having the same colors or even human traces :blobtaco:
I disagree with this point. When I shop for groceries, go for a walk, etc. I rarely see long dark hair. First of all, it isn't convenient going here and there with your hair down if they are long. It's partially a personal experience, as I have long, dark(plot twist) brown hair. If you go and the wind is blowing from behind you, you are in for a ride.
Dark, really dark, black hair isn't as common. Light brown, dark brown, brunette, different types of blonde are common as well. Depending on the country, the number of people with black hair color might be less. There are as well different mutations, troubles with pigmentation that can make the hair white or grey.
And lastly, you have such a thing as hair dye and different hairstyles\haircuts\hairdo, don't know which word is the most appropriate. In our day and age, people try their hardest to look unique. Yet every one of the designs here is 'long dark hair." Not a wavy, curly. Not gathered in a ponytail or braid. Not held by some sort of an accessory, hair clip, bandana. Not dyed with anything.
Long. Dark. Straight.

EternalSunset0

I disagree with this point. When I shop for groceries, go for a walk, etc. I rarely see long dark hair. First of all, it isn't convenient going here and there with your hair down if they are long. It's partially a personal experience, as I have long, dark(plot twist) brown hair. If you go and the wind is blowing from behind you, you are in for a ride.
Dark, really dark, black hair isn't as common. Light brown, dark brown, brunette, different types of blonde are common as well. Depending on the country, the number of people with black hair color might be less. There are as well different mutations, troubles with pigmentation that can make the hair white or grey.
And lastly, you have such a thing as hair dye and different hairstyles\haircuts\hairdo, don't know which word is the most appropriate. In our day and age, people try their hardest to look unique. Yet every one of the designs here is 'long dark hair." Not a wavy, curly. Not gathered in a ponytail or braid. Not held by some sort of an accessory, hair clip, bandana. Not dyed with anything.
Long. Dark. Straight.
Must be a culture thing then. Sorry if I intruded, but it's kinda common (in a way) in my area. Then again, that's purely anecdotal and doesn't prove anything. Well, not long to the point of waist length, but decently long. Say somewhere a bit below the chest.

I think people jus default to short, probably brown or purplish hair for the "girl next door" types and long dark hair for the more mysterious, cool types.

Some good old Betty and Veronica imagery, if I may.

SailusGebel

Must be a culture thing then. Sorry if I intruded, but it's kinda common (in a way) in my area. Then again, that's purely anecdotal and doesn't prove anything. Well, not long to the point of waist length, but decently long. Say somewhere a bit below the chest.

I think people jus default to short, probably brown or purplish hair for the "girl next door" types and long dark hair for the more mysterious, cool types.

Some good old Betty and Veronica imagery, if I may.
Actually, I have no problems with the designs. It's not like my personal preference is the only right one. I'm just fighting windmills here, nothing special.

EternalSunset0

Actually, I have no problems with the designs. It's not like my personal preference is the only right one. I'm just fighting windmills here, nothing special.
All cool. We all have personal biases and all, after all. It's actually been fun to see a comment chain like this on the forum where we can all share our experiences and compare how they differ.