Favorite weapon?

AryaX

As far as swords go, I like the look of the Japanese Katana, but nothing quite compares to the good old SW Lightsabers...

Last edited:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Over the years I like a lot of weapons, because the MCs themselves show how cool those weapons they can be. From straight chinese swords (jian)/ rapiers being the weapon for the gentlemen/ kings because how graceful/ blazing fast and having a high kill rate with thrusting, to spears being the king of the battlefield with the longest handheld reach and widest sweeps, nasty twirls and one of my most favourite scene, "the spear tip ocean", which basically means to create a blanket of sharp pointy bits and kill the opponents.

I once enjoyed looking at axes, but overtime find the authors often linking back to Pangu for more power to be a bit lame and Zac is making me disliking the weapon.

Maces, staff and bats are fun, heavy weight moving at high speed and with the blunt force still can be felt by armored foes are impressive, but just like axes, they lack a certain feel to make them move from a weapon for show (to me) to a weapon that can tell its own story.

My current favourite is the sabre, or the chinese dao, as its hack-and-slash method of assault embodies the meaning of all-or-nothing as you charge forward hacking your way through the waves of enemies in order to survive and its simplistic way of attack is often scoffed at as slashs are often less fatal than thrusts, yet nonetheless it is effective in dishing out damages in wide area, invoking a storm of blades telling people to GTFO or die. It is the one that resonates in me for now as I myself lacks the complex mind to wield a spear (apparently it is hard) and too rugged to wield a rapier, so a long sword, sabre or something that requires heaviness, simplicity and doge bonking-cum-slashing is my fav for now.

Last edited:

_oinkchan

Not necessarily the weapon you would like to wield, but the most aesthetically pleasing, coolest movesets, etc. I know that a lot of you would write joke answers and try to flex your sense of humor. If you do, please add a serious answer. Lastly, fantasy weapons, guns, and other stuff like that count.
Basic normal katana without a rain guard.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Not necessarily the weapon you would like to wield, but the most aesthetically pleasing, coolest movesets, etc. I know that a lot of you would write joke answers and try to flex your sense of humor. If you do, please add a serious answer. Lastly, fantasy weapons, guns, and other stuff like that count.
The billhook spear.
It's versatile, has long reach, and can be used for stabbing, slashing and disarming.
It also looks quite nice.
>w<

To go a more fantasy style of weapon, probably some form of jewellery that allows you to perform magic, or something - though that wouldn't necessarily be classed as a weapon but rather a conduit.
Hmm...
*thinks*

Probably some futuristic gun that has an auto-aim based on your mind while not needing to replenish ammo - like a laser kind of projectile, or something.
I don't know. The MC of Irregular in Highschool for Mages had a cool gun weapon but that requires tons of brain power and calculations to be done.
'-'

X

HelenBold

The coolest weapon I can think of is a dagger. It can be easily drawn to dodge a sword. You can hide it well and use it in a blink of an eye. And if you can't close the distance, you can always throw it at your opponent. Very few other weapons have so many uses.

As for a more humorous answer. Then that would be a spoon. Why death from a thousand cuts? Why not death from a thousand spoon hits? That was how I got the idea for my new novel, The Space Spoon :ROFLMAO:

Silver_Sky

Everybody else saying swords, spears or scythe and I'm here with my favorite being gauntlets (heavy armor gloves included) or maybe a mace I love the brute force and simple weilding style I'm not very coordinated so it speaks to me. I also like rapiers most pleasing to the eye.

SailusGebel

The coolest weapon I can think of is a dagger. It can be easily drawn to dodge a sword. You can hide it well and use it in a blink of an eye. And if you can't close the distance, you can always throw it at your opponent. Very few other weapons have so many uses.

As for a more humorous answer. Then that would be a spoon. Why death from a thousand cuts? Why not death from a thousand spoon hits? That was how I got the idea for my new novel, The Space Spoon :ROFLMAO:
I was mostly asking about personal preferences. For example, you might like jezails, despite them being not as effective. But they have distinct look, and you like it. Something like that.

As for the humorous answers, it's the opposite. I know that there are more than a few people here who like to give unserious answers. And ones who like to derive the original topic. That's why I asked to add a somewhat serious answer. Though, it didn't help. :blob_neutral:

Internet-Degenerate

Psst. If you haven't already, check this out. Don't go telling anyone you got this from me, though.

HelenBold

I was mostly asking about personal preferences. For example, you might like jezails, despite them being not as effective. But they have distinct look, and you like it. Something like that.

As for the humorous answers, it's the opposite. I know that there are more than a few people here who like to give unserious answers. And ones who like to derive the original topic. That's why I asked to add a somewhat serious answer. Though, it didn't help. :blob_neutral:
The dagger is my personal preference and those are the reasons. Maybe using the second person made it sound more like a piece of advice but that is a professional habit of mine. Sorry :)

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
I feel like I have a thing for polearms in general. I don't know what exactly it is in them that makes me like them more than other weapons, but I just find them neat. Though I've been gaining a newfound taste for jian swords since it's the type of sword I see the most in Genshin (since my luck for pulling other weapons is abysmal).

Jemini

Over the years I like a lot of weapons, because the MCs themselves show how cool those weapons they can be. From straight chinese swords (jian)/ rapiers being the weapon for the gentlemen/ kings because how graceful/ blazing fast and having a high kill rate with thrusting, to spears being the king of the battlefield with the longest handheld reach and widest sweeps, nasty twirls and one of my most favourite scene, "the spear tip ocean", which basically means to create a blanket of sharp pointy bits and kill the opponents.

Oh jeeze, more misconceptions to clear.

Rapiers are a dualist's weapon, optimized for unarmored single combat. The primary advantage of a rapier is actually the basket hilt. In addition to protecting the hand, it also brings the center of gravity closer to the hilt and thus makes the blade more nimble.

Rapiers are NOT strictly thrusting weapons. They are a proper leaf-design double-edged sword and can slash perfectly well. It is true they are designed to optimize the thrust. A rapier is very strong in the thrust. However, if you are only using it for thrusting then you have been given a horrible misconception by fencing with foil rapiers. A foil is nothing like the real thing. (in addition to the fact you can slash with a real rapier, a real rapier is also a lot more rigid and doesn't bend about like a foil does.)

The other primary advantage of the rapier is that, because the basket hilt allows it to have so much weight near the hilt, you are also able to make the blade a LOT longer without it throwing off the balance. It is another one of those really abnormally long 1 handed swords. And yet, it remains nimble.

Anyway, the "high kill rate" you alluded to is only under unarmored dueling conditions. The game changes completely if you throw armor into the mix. Once your opponent is armored, there is absolutely nothing that has a higher kill rate than the dagger via coup-de-grace finishers. The rapier can kind of hold it's own against certain opponents dressed in full plate, but under those conditions you generally want a sturdier long sword that you can get a good pommel strike with or come in with a half-swording grip (that is, you use your gauntleted hand to grip your own sword by the blade in order to get more tip control) or maybe an estoc which actually IS a weapon designed for thrusting and nothing else.

An estoc is basically a huge thick needle attached to a hilt, giving it an appearance that makes it just barely qualify as a sword even though it has absolutely no edge and just a pointy tip. It is the final answer to armored opponents and can sneak in the gaps of even the best armor in existence.

peelsdeeni

The Unoriginal Disappointment
I have no need for weapons, for I am weak and I will run away as soon as I hear an enemy
Cowardice(and or running away) is my path and survival is my goal
Don't tell anyone but I think that hypothetically, if I were to use weapons, bows would be my main and daggers and/or those wolverine claw looking things could be my sub. Maybe those assassination needles you sometimes see in anime.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I myself lacks the complex mind to wield a spear (apparently it is hard)
Literally the opposite. A spear is a weapon that's so easy to use, they literally handed them out to peasants who'd never used a weapon once in their life. A slashing weapon like a saber, on the other hand, requires you to constantly be aware of edge alignment, distance to target, armor, your own defense, what's behind and around you, etc. With the spear, it's just what's behind you, and keep the pointy bit between you and the enemy.
my favorite being gauntlets (heavy armor gloves included) or maybe a mace I love the brute force and simple weilding style I'm not very coordinated so it speaks to m
Gauntlets are good armor, but as weapons they're not simple at all. Even a dagger has better reach, so you'll lose against any other weapon unless you have an absurd amount of skill. Not a weapon for a brute or fool. A mace or club is a significantly better choice. Fortunate that you can use both at once. And a shield.

There's a surprising lack of shields here. They aren't particularly good weapons, but any weapon that works with a shield is automatically cooler.

Jemini

There's a surprising lack of shields here. They aren't particularly good weapons, but any weapon that works with a shield is automatically cooler.

Well, I guess it's cooler if you define cool as brutally efficient and effective.

Basic rules, if you are wielding anything shy of a pole arm and do not have either a shield or full plate, you are just asking to be destroyed. Also, the right kind of shield can easily overcome a pole-arm in single combat. (The main problem with pole arms though is that they are typically battlefield weapons and you will have an entire line of them pointed at you all at once in those conditions.)

Shields are one of the most effective things you can have in melee combat, but I wouldn't exactly call shield combat ascetically pleasing. A lot of it involves just bashing your way right through the other guy's defenses. A lot of collisions, and someone in the know can pick up on the subtle dance around the other guy's balance lines, but I don't think it would look very pretty to an untrained eye.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Oh jeeze, more misconceptions to clear.

Rapiers are a dualist's weapon, optimized for unarmored single combat. The primary advantage of a rapier is actually the basket hilt. In addition to protecting the hand, it also brings the center of gravity closer to the hilt and thus makes the blade more nimble.

Rapiers are NOT strictly thrusting weapons. They are a proper leaf-design double-edged sword and can slash perfectly well. It is true they are designed to optimize the thrust. A rapier is very strong in the thrust. However, if you are only using it for thrusting then you have been given a horrible misconception by fencing with foil rapiers. A foil is nothing like the real thing. (in addition to the fact you can slash with a real rapier, a real rapier is also a lot more rigid and doesn't bend about like a foil does.)

The other primary advantage of the rapier is that, because the basket hilt allows it to have so much weight near the hilt, you are also able to make the blade a LOT longer without it throwing off the balance. It is another one of those really abnormally long 1 handed swords. And yet, it remains nimble.

Anyway, the "high kill rate" you alluded to is only under unarmored dueling conditions. The game changes completely if you throw armor into the mix. Once your opponent is armored, there is absolutely nothing that has a higher kill rate than the dagger via coup-de-grace finishers. The rapier can kind of hold it's own against certain opponents dressed in full plate, but under those conditions you generally want a sturdier long sword that you can get a good pommel strike with or come in with a half-swording grip (that is, you use your gauntleted hand to grip your own sword by the blade in order to get more tip control) or maybe an estoc which actually IS a weapon designed for thrusting and nothing else.

An estoc is basically a huge thick needle attached to a hilt, giving it an appearance that makes it just barely qualify as a sword even though it has absolutely no edge and just a pointy tip. It is the final answer to armored opponents and can sneak in the gaps of even the best armor in existence.
Literally the opposite. A spear is a weapon that's so easy to use, they literally handed them out to peasants who'd never used a weapon once in their life. A slashing weapon like a saber, on the other hand, requires you to constantly be aware of edge alignment, distance to target, armor, your own defense, what's behind and around you, etc. With the spear, it's just what's behind you, and keep the pointy bit between you and the enemy.
I have mixed european weapons in with the chinese romanticism of their classic 18 weapons because I am finding comparison between the two cultures.

Yes, Jian (chinese sword) can be used for cutting, as evident by a RL event and that thin things can cut. But I am looking for the main attribute differentiating it and single edge weapon who prioritise cutting than thrusting and if I compare between jian and dao, the former can thrust better while the dao can slash better; that is not saying that they can only do that one single thing like estoc and parang.

In hindsight I did ignored armor as a factor because it is expensive af and thanks to xianxia novels, with no one sporting a full plate armor with chainmail undershirt, I have forgotten their presence. And even if they exist, cue metal cutting moments.

As for spears, yes they are a good beginner's weapon. Its long reach means safety. But once again, I am falling into one-on-one fallacy and the phrase "年拳月棒久练枪", as in the sick stunts it pull is cool af. I did played with a spear in my young wushu days and I love easily putting distance to the annoying guy by thrusting the spear to his throat, so I myself can verify the importance in reach.

It was the ridiculous twirls, flips and splits that made me drop spear as my choice of weapon to practise and opting twin sabers and cudgel instead.

D

Deleted member 45782

Textbooks. Got to put that to some use after a class is over, right? Heavy enough to pack something into it. Every time you swing it, raise 1+ bonus pt for alleviated stress.

Aesthetically pleasing? Hmm...heard of Butterfly swords. Short. Light weight? Fit in one scabbard.

Jemini

It was the ridiculous twirls, flips and splits that made me drop spear as my choice of weapon to practise and opting twin sabers and cudgel instead.

Dude... if they're having you do ridiculous stuff like THAT with a spear, it's not a new weapon you need. You need to find yourself a new style.

More realistic spear combat, about all you really need is knowing how to step and move in order to re-position the tip should the other guy try something sneaky in order to get in under your spear. You need some quick ways to shorten your weapon in order to re-position and re-align in those cases, but theoretically the only way to effectively get past a spear even in single combat would be to use a shield or be wearing full plate with a good helmet. Otherwise, most methods will leave you wide open and simply not allow you to approach fast enough.

(I suppose rolling in under is an option, but you ought to be able to build distance and re-position about as fast as they are closing it with their roll so long as you are paying attention.)

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Dude... if they're having you do ridiculous stuff like THAT with a spear, it's not a new weapon you need. You need to find yourself a new style.

More realistic spear combat, about all you really need is knowing how to step and move in order to re-position the tip should the other guy try something sneaky in order to get in under your spear. You need some quick ways to shorten your weapon in order to re-position and re-align in those cases, but theoretically the only way to effectively get past a spear even in single combat would be to use a shield or be wearing full plate with a good helmet. Otherwise, most methods will leave you wide open and simply not allow you to approach fast enough.

(I suppose rolling in under is an option, but you ought to be able to build distance and re-position about as fast as they are closing it with their roll so long as you are paying attention.)
Never roll.
Do not backflip.
Do not Spin.