Anyone chosen "an career with future" and now regret this?

InfantryTerminator

Just wondering if there are other people who got screwed over by those shitty degrees and schools.

I'm a renewable energy sources technician, two month internship on largest water power plant in Poland, and can do any sanitary/heat pump installation with up to 1 cm of error. Even before I graduated (third year) I realized that I won't get any decent stationary jobs without higher education, no available internships, and everything either requires relocation or investment into driving license and a car.

Now I'm making pizzas and earning more than workers on water power plant, lmao. Should've went for culinary school from the start.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Just wondering if there are other people who got screwed over by those shitty degrees and schools.

I'm a renewable energy sources technician, two month internship on largest water power plant in Poland, and can do any sanitary/heat pump installation with up to 1 cm of error. Even before I graduated (third year) I realized that I won't get any decent stationary jobs without higher education, no available internships, and everything either requires relocation or investment into driving license and a car.

Now I'm making pizzas and earning more than workers on water power plant, lmao. Should've went for culinary school from the start.
Basically a lot of degrees are a scam, because they are just let the Indians get to it, or it’s just shit. Anti racism degree thing, sexual history degree. Joe Biden ice cream degree

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
NO CAREER, only job. And. I HATED high school so I dinna'ah go for no higha' edumacations. I could not imagine myself liking collage or whatever. Plus I didn't like the idea of being massively in debt for something I'd hate.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Indeed. Ai-chan went for a Software Engineering and Games Design course. Ai-chan didn't realize that it sucked. It taught us mostly theories, forced us to complete 3 engineering calculus subjects, THREE! And only taught us programming in C, C++ and Flash. Even so, it only gave us pretty much introductory to C++ and we didn't really learn how to program with Flash, as in we didn't know how to code with Flash, the lecturer only gave us instructions and told us to make a game from those instructions.

The university's ideals for the course was for us to be a jack of all trades, to be the manager of such game development. Ai-chan was stupid back then and didn't realize the stupidity of such ideals. To be the project manager, you need to have experience making such games. How would anyone hire you to get experience when you can't even program the thing you're supposed to lead? Why would we even need 3 engineering calculus subjects? We don't use that at all in making games.

Out of about 80 people, only 22 people graduated, at least as far as Ai-chan can remember. Ai-chan didn't graduate, but still saddled with debts. Ai-chan couldn't pass the 3rd engineering calculus subject no matter what. Out of these 22 people, only 2-3 people worked in games development and their companies went bankrupt in just a few years.

It was such an expensive degree, but in the end everyone worked in customer service, insurance, farming and culinary. Completely unrelated to what we studied. It's not surprising since we didn't really learn anything useful. What would we use 3 engineering calculus for? We can't go into engineering because we didn't learn engineering. We couldn't work in the scientific field because we didn't learn anything scientific. The most significant things we learned in that course were how to persuade or motivate people, how to work in a team and how to do business. We didn't even learn programming properly.

To summarize, the Software Engineering and Games Design course was basically an overpriced engineering calculus social study group for future businessmen.

Last edited:

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
LMAO I went with a heating, air conditioning and refrigeration degree. I have friends that are lawyers that are still struggling. I live in a desert so it was pretty obvious people would pay up the ass for cooling and heating repairs throughout the year. I'm thinking of going to some auto mechanic degree because cars just seem like large lincon logs.

LordJoyde

I went to a Physics university, but instead of physics, theorizing, stargazing and basically anything that they advertised that I was very much interested and still am interested in, I got math, math 2, math 3, computer math 1, computer math in a group and a single subject called "Physics" that was actually about physics and not some retarded mathematical problem. This happened because most of the actual physics professors outright quit the university a year prior to me going there due to some collective strike, so their positions got filled up by math professors from a nearby college.

112 students were at the start of year one, 42 at mid-term and only 3 people passed the year. Technically, you could say that I passed the year too (along with 10-12 others) but instead of handing in the last 3 math exams, I just went home and informed them that I quit the college for a job instead.

The 3 people who officially passed the year went to other colleges. It was newspapers worthy and the whole city knew what happened.

Scaver

I am now feeling pity for you old Foxes. But I must thank you guys for your valuable sacrifice, letting the young ones know bout this stuff.

Now I'm making pizzas and earning more than workers on water power plant, lmao. Should've went for culinary school from the start
For some reason you sound like a pushover?
I mean are you blaming what exactly? Family? Environment? Something like that?
Anyways congrats learning a lesson on life!
And of course remember you will, even if you don't want to, will influence your future children 😶
PS: why does it sound like I'm some kind of old dude😂

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I am now feeling pity for you old Foxes. But I must thank you guys for your valuable sacrifice, letting the young ones know bout this stuff.

And of course remember you will, even if you don't want to, will influence your future children 😶

You're promised stuff that you realize will never happen once you're few years in, making it effectively a scam. Most info you get on degrees come from the sellers. Moreover the track record of an establishment doesn't mean anything as global circumstances keep evolving. Teachers used to repeat this mantra in my class "a few years of pain for 30 years of peace, stability, and happiness. Hang on, on your efforts will be rewarded." While it could be true decades ago, the present world no longer spin like that.

School rankings are shit. Academic research are gated by enormous paywalls. The flood of youngling are funneled in few roles for the sake of rich overlords providing a way bigger supply of worker than open position. The most brillant students are exploited while the rest just wallow as job seekers to prop salaries down or find other activities.

What are your plans for the future, young one? NFT meme expert analyst could be a pretty hot job in the future

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
You're promised stuff that you realize will never happen once you're few years in, making it effectively a scam. Most info you get on degrees come from the sellers. Moreover the track record of an establishment doesn't mean anything as global circumstances keep evolving. Teachers used to repeat this mantra in my class "a few years of pain for 30 years of peace, stability, and happiness. Hang on, on your efforts will be rewarded." While it could be true decades ago, the present world no longer spin like that.

School rankings are shit. Academic research are gated by enormous paywalls. The flood of youngling are funneled in few roles for the sake of rich overlords providing a way bigger supply of worker than open position. The most brillant students are exploited while the rest just wallow as job seekers to prop salaries down or find other activities.

What are your plans for the future, young one? NFT meme expert analyst could be a pretty hot job in the future
If you shop around there are some schools that will help with job placement after graduation (and even before it sometimes) but it’s often reserved for the smallest majors at midsized to small schools. Basically the more money you pay the more you screw yourself.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
I dropped Computer Engineering which was my passion once I realized I had no future in it unless I was willing to abandon everything once I graduated. In my country, there are just no jobs for it, and I would be stuck as either the IT guy or a software engineer for the rest of my life making, with a lot of luck, 10K a year

The only reason I am still on a high-pay/high-tuition grad is bc I got full scholarship both for that one and my current one. I would never spend a single cent for my own and deeply regret paying the tuition for my then wife's nursing degree a few years back.

Get yourself a profession, not a degree, unless you into pyramid schemes.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I didn't really chose mechanical engineering (mainstream) as my bachelor degree, I just sort of wasted 30K and horrifyingly four years in school and the first job I got and still has is at a fabrication and design company as a draftman. Pay isn't that good when I compare with my peers but so is my graduation grades compared to theirs... so I have no complaints.

The complaints come when the bills start to stack.

If there is any two cents I learnt in school, it is about who you know, not what you know. But you must be cautious about who you call your mentor, because there is a horror story that a senior of mine dropped out to follow hia teacher to join an entrepreneurship and got kicked out penniless after the business took off. For some context, the senior was seen as a hardworking and charismatic fellow while the teacher was a horrible bastard, charismatic but a horrible, horrible psychopath.

how did any of that sound like he was blaming someone? and how does it correlate with being a pushover?

Asami_Shirogane

Indeed. Ai-chan went for a Software Engineering and Games Design course. Ai-chan didn't realize that it sucked. It taught us mostly theories, forced us to complete 3 engineering calculus subjects, THREE! And only taught us programming in C, C++ and Flash. Even so, it only gave us pretty much introductory to C++ and we didn't really learn how to program with Flash, as in we didn't know how to code with Flash, the lecturer only gave us instructions and told us to make a game from those instructions.

The university's ideals for the course was for us to be a jack of all trades, to be the manager of such game development. Ai-chan was stupid back then and didn't realize the stupidity of such ideals. To be the project manager, you need to have experience making such games. How would anyone hire you to get experience when you can't even program the thing you're supposed to lead? Why would we even need 3 engineering calculus subjects? We don't use that at all in making games.

Out of about 80 people, only 22 people graduated, at least as far as Ai-chan can remember. Ai-chan didn't graduate, but still saddled with debts. Ai-chan couldn't pass the 3rd engineering calculus subject no matter what. Out of these 22 people, only 2-3 people worked in games development and their companies went bankrupt in just a few years.

It was such an expensive degree, but in the end everyone worked in customer service, insurance, farming and culinary. Completely unrelated to what we studied. It's not surprising since we didn't really learn anything useful. What would we use 3 engineering calculus for? We can't go into engineering because we didn't learn engineering. We couldn't work in the scientific field because we didn't learn anything scientific. The most significant things we learned in that course were how to persuade or motivate people, how to work in a team and how to do business. We didn't even learn programming properly.

To summarize, the Software Engineering and Games Design course was basically an overpriced engineering calculus social study group for future businessmen.
I feel this on a personal level but at least I graduated with a Computer Science degree instead. Job hunt was excruciating and I was stuck working a customer service job for a while.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Reading all this scares me for my later education

I just hope I pick the right one
If you need advice and don't know yet what you are passionate about, don't go to a university yet. University is hard, considering that they tell you to do things that you don't particularly want to do because of 'diversification'. They teach you stuff you don't need or want because they think that's what you will need, but you won't. Another reason is that they just want to bloat the course so that you have to pay them more and so they profit even if you don't benefit from it. If you are passionate about what you're learning, you can still soldier through the things you don't want to learn, but when you don't have the passion in the first place, you will just suffer years of hell that robs you of your happiness. Plus, you now have a sizable debt for something that is equal to a trophy on the wall.

If your parents are pushing you to go to university anyway while you don't know what your passion is, Ai-chan suggests going to a trade school. That is not a merchant school, but a school that teach you essential trade skills such as electrical, plumbing, hospitality or accounting. It is not glamourous and may even be yucky, but it's one of those dirty jobs that everyone is thankful for. Most people do not want to make plumbing their career, but most people will call a plumber to solve their problems. Even if you don't end up being a plumber or electrician, the knowledge and certification helps you in the long run. Plus, you learn only the things you need to learn to get the job done, not anything unrelated and you don't need to take a loan in most cases. You can even do part time jobs with your certification in the future while you take a degree in something you are truly passionate about.

Learning about accounting is actually quite fun. Ai-chan never thought it could be fun at all. Ai-chan studied beginner accounting in high school, but Ai-chan hated maths, so never chose that option. Turns out when Ai-chan went to university, Ai-chan had to study even harder math, three of them!

Scaver

Exactly why you should have done some kind of research of sorts like asking your seniors perhaps?

Sheesh nft?