Demanding/Enthusiastic Readers Pestering/Inquiring for New Chapters

LMStephens

One Complexed and Unusual Being
So, you can see in the title that there are some slashes there. The point of this is that writers see these types of readers in two different ways. What I mean is that you have readers out there that will ask for writers to continue the story or ask when they will continue their story.

Now, I write fanfiction and original fiction. In the fanfiction circuit readers who do this are considered demanding and pestering. It is the view that writers are human and have other things going on in their lives and that they aren't doing this to get paid. So, the writers typically try to discourage this type of behavior or express that they don't like it.

Now, I have experienced this when posting my fanfiction but it didn't bother me, I guess because the people who made these sorts of comments on my work didn't sound demanding and pestering. They just expressed that they liked my work and looked forward to more of my writing. Now, on SH, I have not experienced this yet as I just have one chapter up and I'm seriously working on revising it.

The question, to you guys, is this an issue on Scribble Hub? How do you all feel about it? Do you feel that the readers are demanding or just enthusiastic? Do you feel they are pestering or inquiring?

People have different perspectives on things like this. So, I'm curious about people's thoughts here on Scribble Hub.

D

Deleted member 54065

Encountered a few of them here and in WebNovel. While it's pretty encouraging to have them, in the long run, they could turn toxic and demanding that they would dare to dictate to the author what they want to read.

Or those readers who seemed to 'know better' than the author and would apply their common sense to the writer's culture and values (assuming the author is not a westerner).

Pretty toxic if you ask me.

Also, relative to this, I got some readers asking for sex chapters and then dropping my work (or bombarding it with 1*) when I say that there's none in the works.

I mean, I'm not averted to writing sexual content. However, I want to write an adventure story without the sex.

In as much as I want to slap them or do something to piss them off, I'd rather waste my energies on writing and improving my story...at my own pace. They are just a noisy minority, and as I got my story planned way ahead before I even wrote the first chapter, I'll keep on writing for as long as I want.

Ah yes, if you plan to go the diplomatic route, just say: We'll see about that in the next chapter/volume.

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Well, I mean... Theres both. What did you expect?

There's people who pester, and those who are enthusiastic. Sometimes even authors misunderstand and lash out at the enthusiastic commenters who were just hoping for more.

I personally feel Scribble Hub is more of a mixed bag when it comes to its 'culture' and stuff like that, compared to other sites(though the demand for smut is undeniable), but I think most commenters here are either the 'TFTC and on their way' kind or the enthusiastic, with pesterers the minority. Sometimes when I try to inquire about more chapters, I just can't seem to write it in a way that would make it not seem to be on the more negative spectrum, due to how the author has reacted to things in the past and stuff like that.

Idk, just my own thoughts on the matter.
Also, relative to this, I got some readers asking for sex chapters and then dropping my work (or bombarding it with 1*) when I say that there's none in the works.

I mean, I'm not averted to writing sexual content. However, I want to write an adventure story without the sex.

In as much as I want to slap them or do something to piss them off, I'd rather waste my energies on writing and improving my story...at my own pace. They are just a noisy minority, and as I got my story planned way ahead before I even wrote the first chapter, I'll keep on writing for as long as I want.
Tf? That's just stupid. If there's no sex in a story, then just enjoy the story as it is or stop reading it, but people really need to stop rating stories and ranting about them just cause they don't have something they want, or have something they don't like. Just stop reading it.

Man, I don't understand people.

LMStephens

Well, I mean... Theres both. What did you expect?

There's people who pester, and those who are enthusiastic. Sometimes even authors misunderstand and lash out at the enthusiastic commenters who were just hoping for more.

I personally feel Scribble Hub is more of a mixed bag when it comes to its 'culture' and stuff like that, compared to other sites(though the demand for smut is undeniable), but I think most commenters here are either the 'TFTC and on their way' kind or the enthusiastic, with pesterers the minority. Sometimes when I try to inquire about more chapters, I just can't seem to write it in a way that would make it not seem to be on the more negative spectrum, due to how the author has reacted to things in the past and stuff like that.

Idk, just my own thoughts on the matter.

Tf? That's just stupid. If there's no sex in a story, then just enjoy the story as it is or stop reading it, but people really need to stop rating stories and ranting about them just cause they don't have something they want, or have something they don't like. Just stop reading it.

I don't know what your point of the whole "What do you expect?" Comment. I don't know if you are aware, but it sounds a bit rude. I don't expect anything and if you read my post again, you'll see that I am asking a question. I don't expect anything. Furthermore, I haven't gotten this type of reader on Scribble Hub. Therefore, I'm asking about other writers' experiences with this and how they feel about it.

D

Deleted member 54065

Man, I'm telling 'ya, I've went through some worst readers asking and demanding for sex in my story.

Although in a hindsight, it helped me toughen up my resolve in finishing my writing. 😉

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
I don't know what your point of the whole "What do you expect?" Comment. I don't know if you are aware, but it sounds a bit rude. I don't expect anything and if you read my post again, you'll see that I am asking a question. I don't expect anything. Furthermore, I haven't gotten this type of reader on Scribble Hub. Therefore, I'm asking about other writers' experiences with this and how they feel about it.
My apologies, idk what my point was either. Didn't mean to be rude. Whoops.

LMStephens

My apologies, idk what my point was either. Didn't mean to be rude. Whoops.

It's cool! Thanks!
Encountered a few of them here and in WebNovel. While it's pretty encouraging to have them, in the long run, they could turn toxic and demanding that they would dare to dictate to the author what they want to read.

Or those readers who seemed to 'know better' than the author and would apply their common sense to the writer's culture and values (assuming the author is not a westerner).

Ah yes, if you plan to go the diplomatic route, just say: We'll see about that in the next chapter/volume.

Wow, dude, that's fucked up. Now see, my fanfiction is littered with sex, but my original stuff depends on the character and story. Sorry, you have to be bothered with that.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I would be flattered, but I am relieved I don't have those types of people pestering me. My toddler pesters me enough for a hundred of those people.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I won't stop anyone from torturing themselves of course, but if I was put under stress from something like this I'd reconsider my choice to do public creative work.

ThockyKeyboard

I dunno about scribble hub, but some AO3 readers do borderline on being annoying and constantly pestering the writer in the past (?). But these days I never see any of the authors commenting how a reader is forcing them to give out more new chapters. Maybe cause they put on a big note not to push them to upload faster, or they give a clear warning that there are no scheduled updates.

If you do get in a situation where the readers starts to ask you questions when you'll update, just tell them "thank you for reading"or ignore em'.

Topgun1908

So, you can see in the title that there are some slashes there. The point of this is that writers see these types of readers in two different ways. What I mean is that you have readers out there that will ask for writers to continue the story or ask when they will continue their story.

Now, I write fanfiction and original fiction. In the fanfiction circuit readers who do this are considered demanding and pestering. It is the view that writers are human and have other things going on in their lives and that they aren't doing this to get paid. So, the writers typically try to discourage this type of behavior or express that they don't like it.

Now, I have experienced this when posting my fanfiction but it didn't bother me, I guess because the people who made these sorts of comments on my work didn't sound demanding and pestering. They just expressed that they liked my work and looked forward to more of my writing. Now, on SH, I have not experienced this yet as I just have one chapter up and I'm seriously working on revising it.

The question, to you guys, is this an issue on Scribble Hub? How do you all feel about it? Do you feel that the readers are demanding or just enthusiastic? Do you feel they are pestering or inquiring?

People have different perspectives on things like this. So, I'm curious about people's thoughts here on Scribble Hub.
I haven't encountered anyone like that yet but I think I'd find it nice that people actually give enough of a shit about my books to harrass me over making more chapters. Besides I have no reason to meet their demands because they ain't giving me money to read my books so they can just put up with it.

RayneStorm

I've never had that problem (I'd need readers for that to happen) but I could see how I'd like having people be excited for new chapters and also how some people could get too annoying with it or demanding with what's actually in the story. I can't wait until I get readers asking for more chapters but there's a reason I write full arcs before posting chapters. I don't want their opinions to change the story I have planned. I wrote a whole novel once because people kept asking for another pirate story after my last one ended and while I like how it turned out in the end, I hated the process.

I haven't encountered anyone like that yet but I think I'd find it nice that people actually give enough of a shit about my books to harrass me over making more chapters. Besides I have no reason to meet their demands because they ain't giving me money to read my books so they can just put up with it.

Yeah, at the end of the day, the stories are free so the writer can do as they please

On another site I did have some people send me private messages asking for sex scenes in my stories. I don't write sex scenes. I don't even like to read them. At one point I started just posting in the story description that the book was PG13 and left it at that. It seemed to work and some people did say that they read the book because it was rated PG13

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I have those types of readers every now and then but it's rare. Usually they just pester me until the next chapter comes out and then they are satisfied for a week or two,

LMStephens

I dunno about scribble hub, but some AO3 readers do borderline on being annoying and constantly pestering the writer in the past (?). But these days I never see any of the authors commenting how a reader is forcing them to give out more new chapters. Maybe cause they put on a big note not to push them to upload faster, or they give a clear warning that there are no scheduled updates.

If you do get in a situation where the readers starts to ask you questions when you'll update, just tell them "thank you for reading"or ignore em'.

Yea, it's on AO3 that a lot of writers complain about this.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
You guys get readers?

I guess a lot of SH readers are really conscientious about this sort of thing. Even if they have a question like this, they don't ask for fear of upsetting the author. If you're worried about it, you can post a schedule or say when/if you'll be posting the next chapter. That way you can just link the post if you get a question.

LMStephens

You guys get readers?

I guess a lot of SH readers are really conscientious about this sort of thing. Even if they have a question like this, they don't ask for fear of upsetting the author. If you're worried about it, you can post a schedule or say when/if you'll be posting the next chapter. That way you can just link the post if you get a question.

I'm not worried, just curious. Besides, not all people write or post on a schedule.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

Ai-chan doesn't mind this at all. The more people send a message to Ai-chan asking for the next chapter, the more motivated Ai-chan becomes. Just understand that just because you ask doesn't mean you will get it. It just means that you raise the motivation for Ai-chan to write that next chapter.

So people who read Ai-chan's story, be more demanding! If you don't tell Ai-chan, Ai-chan wouldn't know if people are liking those stories. Tell Ai-chan you want moar.

Moa moa 欲しがってよ!