Do you actually enjoy your writing?

Mr.Grey-Cat

As in the title, do you actually enjoy what you write? not the process itself but the result. Do you read something that you have written before, and smile? or do you just pull your hair from cringing too hard? Do you get the chance to enjoy reading your previous work? or do you just get into cruel editor mode?

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
As in the title, do you actually enjoy what you write? not the process itself but the result. Do you read something that you have written before, and smile? or do you just pull your hair from cringing too hard? Do you get the chance to enjoy reading your previous work? or do you just get into cruel editor mode?
I won’t lie, I have more chapters that I dislike than like. But the ones that I do like are so unlike anything I’d write. Maybe that’s why I like them? They surprise me no matter how many times I read them.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
I absolutely love what I'm writing, it's the only thing that keeps me going.

I take the time to read and read again every chapter in full critic mode, I'm planning to rewrite some of my first chapters since I've gotten better with the time (I think).

Katsuya

Honestly, yes. When I edit it(go/read through it) I tend to find it somewhat interesting. Not saying my stories are good, but as a chapter i tend to like it. well, thats how it is nowadays.

JohnDoe9838

I like what I write, but I read and reread it over and over again when editing and translating it, so much so that it starts to lose its spark, like repeating a word so many times that it loses its meaning, like some sort of semantic satiation. The novelty, the enjoyment, is lost. But, after distancing myself for a few days and rereading it again, the enjoyment returns… and I start to find the spelling mistakes.

EternalSunset0

I do. The writing's not the best, but reading through them and visualizing the scenes is generally a fun experience.

The same goes with the fanfiction stuff with obvious Gary Stus/Mary Sues I did back in high school. Same as the story I helped write around 10 years ago. I can nitpick and cite a lot of instances of bad writing in them, and I do have the urge to rewrite/edit them anew, but I still always found something enjoyable about revisiting them, so I read them and get filled fond memories of the past instead of cringe or disgust.

Mellohwa

Magic 8-ball they say
I do enjoy what I write, no, actually, I admire it. But I do think that my earliest writing is cringed, and that's what makes it worth it. Cuz, in my opinion, if you like your present writing, then you cringed at your past writings—I assure you that you made a considerable improvement.

And I admire that improvement.