Free First Chapter Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

TenPoundsOfSalt

Those are some very valid points, and I feel like I could have done a better job expressing some things in the first chapter. Part of me felt like I needed to be sure I was being clear, but perhaps I was being TOO straightforward with some of the descriptions being obvious. Part of me wants to re-work it, but I'm not sure where I would even begin. I hoped that perhaps there was some tension or interest to be grabbed by the lead-in to the last moment when he gets the message that he's completely isolated in the midst of a facility that just had to relocate due to a hostile attack, but perhaps I overestimated that being enough to create a sense of investment.

The character being annoying is a little bit by design, but it might go too far? Anyway, thanks for giving it a chance and giving me some things to think about

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Those are some very valid points, and I feel like I could have done a better job expressing some things in the first chapter. Part of me felt like I needed to be sure I was being clear, but perhaps I was being TOO straightforward with some of the descriptions being obvious. Part of me wants to re-work it, but I'm not sure where I would even begin. I hoped that perhaps there was some tension or interest to be grabbed by the lead-in to the last moment when he gets the message that he's completely isolated in the midst of a facility that just had to relocate due to a hostile attack, but perhaps I overestimated that being enough to create a sense of investment.

The character being annoying is a little bit by design, but it might go too far? Anyway, thanks for giving it a chance and giving me some things to think about
I think for the most part, action or tenstion can only be as great as our investment in the character or situation. If I already cared and was having fun, then great! I'm looking forward to the promise of a good time. I think the only time a conflict or promise of excitement has independent merit is when it's a surprise, when it promises a new wrinkle and that the story is going some place contrary to what I've been lead to beleive. I can't even think of something like that in this context and normally that's both rare and hard to do.

It's easier just to write characters with depth and nuance that carry the story than any alternative.

And in regards to taking it too far. . . kind of. I don't thinkt he problem is him being too much of an asshole or too much of anything. Sharp characters that go heavy in one direction can be a lot of fun, but the issues arise when the are overly broad. There needs to be a level of depth and connection with the reader. Something that justifies his behavior on an emotional level perhaps. You're out of line but I see where you're coming from.

The first thought that came to mind is the specificity of star craft. The MC is less outwardly angsty and mean and more dismissive and "above it". But when the threat of conflict happens, he says or does something that shows he has great knowledge and is ready to act. I was thinking in the video game sense, "Build and SCV, 13 seconds later send another to the choke at the gate. Queue up a supply depot and then barracks." That's a little silly in a literal sense, but you get the idea.

And then in the second chapter, there's further exploration and deviation on that, where his knowledge is usefull, but the real world isn't quite like the video game so something goes wrong. Now he can't rely on his previous knowledge and he's useless without that. Now you have grounds for a character arc.

The easiest way to create dynamic charactesr is contradictions that can be rooted in logic. He's lazy but highly competent (everthing is too easy so that's why they got bored in the first place). They're an asshole but they actually have a heart of gold (in which case, your chapter ends by them doing something to prove their humanity and show that there's depth).

Not everything needs to be this linear push and pull, but it's the easiest thing to start playing with.

Sabazain

UPDATE: Be sure to check out my other thread and my Youtube channel: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/looking-for-things-to-review.6228/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUJHTBWLa93g8k9SAXCgSzw

So I saw this done elsewhere and thought it would be fun.

If anyone wants to volunteer, I'll read your very first chapter (not prologue or anything else) and based solely on that I'll give a quick opinion on whether or not I'd continue reading the entire work. It's like a mini review for the first chapter and the ability to hook the audience!

I can make no guarantees with how contemporaneous it will be, but I'll try and stay up with this thread the best I can.

And if it seems I missed you on the review, just send me a message. There's a lot of stuff and it's entirely possible I could accidently skip someone.

Since this thread has become pretty prolific, I figured I'd make a best of the best list. My personal favorite three starting chapters are:

1. Caninstinct https://www.scribblehub.com/series/62445/caninstinct/
2. Ange'ls Dirge https://www.scribblehub.com/series/229892/angels-dirge/
3. Queensmen https://www.scribblehub.com/series/163971/queensmen/
4. Hive https://www.scribblehub.com/series/334266/hive/
Please read the chapter of my book.
Here,

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
Rating: Would keep reading

THE GOOD

I really think you do a good job writing this. Not to say it's perfect with a few more bigger pictures errors in paragraphs and flow, but overall it's an enjoyable read. Just by virtue of giving us a strong POV and really putting us in their shoes with descriptive language. At a very basic level, if a chapter proves to me that you can write in an entertaining fashion, you've got my attention.

I also thought there were some interesting in text clues about what's going on. it felt like the language made it seem like our POV was in someone else's body. It got a little heavy handed later as if to really dig it in, but I appreciate that kind of story telilng that doesn't tell us what's going on outright, even if I'm wrong.

EVERYTHING ELSE

Otherwise, it's kind of a failure even though I am so positive on it. It does little to estalbish character, or world, or conflict, or really set up any promises for what the story is about. It works because it's short enough, but I'm going to need these things estalibhsed going forward of course.

OVERALL

I think this works as a nice advertisement for the author more than the story. However, if this is indicitive of larger problems going forward, it may lose me.
Thank you for the feedback and it does (very slowly) gain an overarching plot but I guess in terms of plot right now it's probably a weird slice-of-life? I mostly started writing because a. unfortunately I came up with a very specific scenario that I would probably not find a lot of and b. I want to get better at writing, so the compliment about my writing style means a lot! (thanks) and I've been trying not to be heavy handed with worldbuilding or clues about the main character's Deal because I figure I can always add more later and edit
Hopefully you have a good day!

Nocturnis66

My book only has a few chapters, but i hope its enough for you to let me hear some thoughts.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Please read the chapter of my book.
Here,
Rating: Focus on the fundamentals.

Your writing has a very rough quality to it that makes it hard to read for enjoyment.

The soft sound of hooves of three horses walking on the wet grass could be heard from the close distance.

Of three horses awkward and uneeded. Walking is a strange word choice and also uneeded. And the verb phrase "could be heard" is very weak and highlights the lack of focus in the opening sentence.

These three horses were not in rush. They carried their riders idly. Though, they were the horses of battlefield but they knew the mood of their master.

Three horses is redundant for what you have. In fact, there are no noun phrases before this so "they" would work fine. Also restating that they are idle and not in a rush is redundant with saying they are walking. "Horses of battlefield" is strange, just battlefield horses. And I don't understand the transition that battlefield horses know the mood of their master. Would they not? And why do three horses have a single master? Is one guy riding three horses?

Three horses entered into a serene looking white building which iron gate was opened for everyone.

Now things just get weird. You pulled out the description to their master but ignore that to start with three horses again (and again we know there are three. Stop repeating description). How can a building be serene looking? Which should be with? So with an iron gate? That ws opened for everyone? These aren't even real sentences at this point.

There was red bricks path in front of them. They went ahead, as silent as predator, though it was not a place for hunters.

Was a red brick path. As a predator. Also I can't help but feel that this should be all one paragraph. It's weird to make it about the horses, but it would work better if it was a conjoined idea.

People around them, started to take notice of them and stood and bowed in front of them.

The horses? People are bowing to the horses? Also there shouldn't be comma after them. Repeated words of them and 'and'.
Hi, I would appreciate a review!
Thank you in advance.

Rating: Middle of the road, so would not keep reading.

THE GOOD

You have a really good idea how to entertain with your story. You start with the MC doing something while having a conversation. It makes everything so much more interesting and lets you give information more efficiently. I just kept thinking that most stories I read on here would have been flat with one or the other.

And generally, I like the world building going on on top of this. It seems intentionally and well thought out. And you manage to relay information wtihout being over bearing.

WHAT RUINS IT FOR ME

The dialogue got a bit grating as we went on. Most of the chapter is dialogue and it just stopped working for me.

And the legnth I guess? THis is a weird one, because I started out enjoying it very much. But it just kept going and I lost that enjoyment in the constant dialogue that I thought didn't work, mostly. If it was a tighter piece over all, that would have helped.

The tie breaking issue was the finale. Like I said before, it seemed like you knew how to entertain and make even a conceptually boring scene fun. But the end where there is actual drama and danger was flat. We just get told why there is a problem. There is no description, no adventure. We don't learn that's something is wrong because our MC is checking the house, not because we're in her head and she's saying, "Trust me bro". It's not a huge issue on it's own, but it's the opposite of what I liked your writing for at the start which shook my trust in it going forward.

(Minor) So the prose isn't the best. It's readable but there are a lot of areas that don't quite work or have some jank to them.
Rating: Gave up before finishing the first chapter.

The opening scene was weird and stilted. It has some grammar problems and overall it all lacked impact and had some cringy dialogue.

And then we swap to someone at a vending machine. The prose improves and seems more "novel-y" but we then spend a weird amount of time deciding if they like sugar or not? It's weird dude. If it was sharp and had some observational humor there, I guess it could work, but I just stopped and asked myself what is going on and why do I care, and I did not.

So I stopped.
My book only has a few chapters, but i hope its enough for you to let me hear some thoughts.
Rating: Would not keep reading

THE GOOD

It's competent. It's perfectly readable and even easy to read. For what it is, it's the appropriate length. As you'll see below I don't think you nail it, but you are communicating meaningful information to us.

THE NOT SO GOOD

It's very much a web novel in style and execution:
Wake up with a dream sequence
Flat style and character voice
Broad descriptive statements that just aren't followed up on or really described.
"As the eldest, I have always shouldered the responsibility of caring for my siblings." Maybe show us how instead of just saying it.

You also jump around a lot. There isn't a real logical flow to where we go.

Also, the end confused me. I had no idea what was going on with the last couple of paragraphs.

Last edited:

Scaver

If you may then,

It's a portal fantasy(isekai).

Seseal

The opening scene was weird and stilted. It has some grammar problems and overall it all lacked impact and had some cringy dialogue.

And then we swap to someone at a vending machine. The prose improves and seems more "novel-y" but we then spend a weird amount of time deciding if they like sugar or not? It's weird dude. If it was sharp and had some observational humor there, I guess it could work, but I just stopped and asked myself what is going on and why do I care, and I did not.
Ahaha, thank you for the honest opinion!
Now, I agree that it lacks impact and that the dialogue was somewhat stiff. And I think I'll remove the first scene since it's non-impactful now that you mentioned it.
And yes, the second part was supposed to be weird and not supposed to be funny. Why? Well... because of the main character and the way they think.
I sent you just the link, so you probably went in completely blind without knowing what it was or what genre.
But anyways, I will edit it some more and remove the first part.

Last edited:

PrismaArchives

Rating: Focus on the fundamentals.

Your writing has a very rough quality to it that makes it hard to read for enjoyment.

The soft sound of hooves of three horses walking on the wet grass could be heard from the close distance.

Of three horses awkward and uneeded. Walking is a strange word choice and also uneeded. And the verb phrase "could be heard" is very weak and highlights the lack of focus in the opening sentence.

These three horses were not in rush. They carried their riders idly. Though, they were the horses of battlefield but they knew the mood of their master.

Three horses is redundant for what you have. In fact, there are no noun phrases before this so "they" would work fine. Also restating that they are idle and not in a rush is redundant with saying they are walking. "Horses of battlefield" is strange, just battlefield horses. And I don't understand the transition that battlefield horses know the mood of their master. Would they not? And why do three horses have a single master? Is one guy riding three horses?

Three horses entered into a serene looking white building which iron gate was opened for everyone.

Now things just get weird. You pulled out the description to their master but ignore that to start with three horses again (and again we know there are three. Stop repeating description). How can a building be serene looking? Which should be with? So with an iron gate? That ws opened for everyone? These aren't even real sentences at this point.

There was red bricks path in front of them. They went ahead, as silent as predator, though it was not a place for hunters.

Was a red brick path. As a predator. Also I can't help but feel that this should be all one paragraph. It's weird to make it about the horses, but it would work better if it was a conjoined idea.

People around them, started to take notice of them and stood and bowed in front of them.

The horses? People are bowing to the horses? Also there shouldn't be comma after them. Repeated words of them and 'and'.

Rating: Middle of the road, so would not keep reading.

THE GOOD

You have a really good idea how to entertain with your story. You start with the MC doing something while having a conversation. It makes everything so much more interesting and lets you give information more efficiently. I just kept thinking that most stories I read on here would have been flat with one or the other.

And generally, I like the world building going on on top of this. It seems intentionally and well thought out. And you manage to relay information wtihout being over bearing.

WHAT RUINS IT FOR ME

The dialogue got a bit grating as we went on. Most of the chapter is dialogue and it just stopped working for me.

And the legnth I guess? THis is a weird one, because I started out enjoying it very much. But it just kept going and I lost that enjoyment in the constant dialogue that I thought didn't work, mostly. If it was a tighter piece over all, that would have helped.

The tie breaking issue was the finale. Like I said before, it seemed like you knew how to entertain and make even a conceptually boring scene fun. But the end where there is actual drama and danger was flat. We just get told why there is a problem. There is no description, no adventure. We don't learn that's something is wrong because our MC is checking the house, not because we're in her head and she's saying, "Trust me bro". It's not a huge issue on it's own, but it's the opposite of what I liked your writing for at the start which shook my trust in it going forward.

(Minor) So the prose isn't the best. It's readable but there are a lot of areas that don't quite work or have some jank to them.

So I stopped.

THE GOOD

It's competent. It's perfectly readable and even easy to read. For what it is, it's the appropriate length. As you'll see below I don't think you nail it, but you are communicating meaningful information to us.

THE NOT SO GOOD

It's very much a web novel in style and execution:
Wake up with a dream sequence
Flat style and character voice
Broad descriptive statements that just aren't followed up on or really described.
"As the eldest, I have always shouldered the responsibility of caring for my siblings." Maybe show us how instead of just saying it.

You also jump around a lot. There isn't a real logical flow to where we go.

Also, the end confused me. I had no idea what was going on with the last couple of paragraphs.
Thanks for the review! and yeah I've actually been told before that I tend to suck at actual danger compared to more... monotonous scenes its something I hope to work on. I really appreciate it!

I actually originally worked on this piece as part of a writathon and the earlier chapters went through some heavy editing with the start of chapter 1's start seeing the most. The original piece was mostly the second half which I've been a bit stuck on what to do with or whether or not to retool it but I think this gives me a clear answer lol. Time to pull out the fine tooth comb.

Last edited:

Para23

UPDATE: Be sure to check out my other thread and my Youtube channel: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/looking-for-things-to-review.6228/

If anyone wants to volunteer, I'll read your very first chapter (not prologue or anything else) and based solely on that I'll give a quick opinion on whether or not I'd continue reading the entire work. It's like a mini review for the first chapter and the ability to hook the audience!

I can make no guarantees with how contemporaneous it will be, but I'll try and stay up with this thread the best I can.

And if it seems I missed you on the review, just send me a message. There's a lot of stuff and it's entirely possible I could accidently skip someone.

Since this thread has become pretty prolific, I figured I'd make a best of the best list. My personal favorite three starting chapters are:

Im pretty new to this website so I'll appreciate any kind of feedback! https://www.scribblehub.com/series/674987/scripted-fate/

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
If you may then,

It's a portal fantasy(isekai).
Would not keep reading.

THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD

Everything here is in the acceptable catagory, but not the overtly entertaining.

We get thrown into the mess with the character not established and you don't do much to flesh out his personality int he first chapter. The first person perspective boltsters this and gives him a slight voice, so you meet the minimum. But mostly he's a collection of vague and confused thoughts which I don't find fun.

The literal plot is ungrounded. He wakes up. Goes to a house. Meets a guy where there is some understanding. He doesn't need anything. He doesn't want anything. Our MC just walks around in a stupor experiencing things. It makes for a weak backbone even when things pick up with the stranger.

The prose. Readable and potentially nice. I think it's biggest issue is what it's in service of. Good description isn't very meaningful when it's in aid of this floaty text about being lost in another world. In fact, I think it interferes at some point because I want you to ground us before telling me about the scene. I'm not here for pastoral poetry.

OVERALL

It's fine.
Could you have a look at mine? I warn you I haven't written since I failed GCSE English so it might be pretty bad.https://www.scribblehub.com/series/666236/grass-blades/
Link doesn't work. Altough you might have taken it down on purpose.
Im pretty new to this website so I'll appreciate any kind of feedback! https://www.scribblehub.com/series/674987/scripted-fate/
Would keep reading.

THE GOOD

You have a talent at laying out the world at some points. The talk about how the cliffside slums got destroyed by the tsunami for example. You inject this world view from your character into it, and it's very engaging as it mixes with the prose.

The MC is interesting enough. I have a general impression of who he is and the influences your putting into him, but having one scene- let alone more than that- in the first chapter that conveys a world view and sets up some interesting dynamics within them is interesting.

COULD USE IMPROVEMENT

The big thing I'm seeing is how a lot of this is a bit self indulgent. You will wax with the prose. You will over sell the idea in the MC's head. It's not sharp all the time. You could cut down maybe a quarter of this chapter and not lose anything substantive, and I think this is important. Take the MC for example, we're in their head and they are thinking about a situation. Got it. But then it comes up again after we already know that information. So now it seems like the author is letting us know they are fixated? I think the intent was brooding, but some of the prose cut against your intent.

Last edited:

JoeOfTex

Please be gentle, just kidding, ruin my day !

The World Begins A New

ThanksALot

Nice thanks for the feedback.

Late reply but I did try to make it short and reduce descriptions on dialogue.
Also did short paragraphs.
It was to make it easier to read on a phone as I also used my phone to type it.

It did fail though and I can see it being confusing. Thanks!

I don't read prologues unless asked, so I started Ch1. Part 2. R, but that was super confusing so I went back to the Prologue.

Rating: Would not keep reading.

THE GOOD:

I think you have a good sense for prose. It's well paced and has some good description.

THE BAD:

It's all very confusing. Not just the "first chapter" but the prologue too. You have a very, very difficult time establishing information in a functional matter and the logic is all over the place.

Example: The prologue opens with Aldrick. We're inside his head. We're in the middle of the action and it's a little confusing, but it's fine enough. BUT THEN you POV swap. It turns out this was all narrated from someone else's head. It literally switches TO first person. It's so confusing that you swap, and even in 1st person, it's super confusing that the POV would know what's going on in someone else's head.

OVERALL:

You throw information at the reader haphazardly without any thought to how we're going to take it, and that doesn't even account for the straight up errors that wouldn't make sense even if the information was understood by your reader.

Rating: Would not keep reading.

THE GOOD:

Fun setting.
Good prose for mass market. A little simple/ YA-y but its super accesible and enjoyable.

THE BAD:

The specificity of writing: You waste a lot of your readers time by being vague. Having read a lot of proffesional books this last month, this reall stuck out to me.

Nekhet's life had been turned upside down after her stupid mistakes, and she did everything she could to make things right with her father. All she saw in his eyes was disappointment and regret — when he even bothered to make eye contact with her — and that was despite her best efforts to try and help with the debt however she could. It just so happened that the only way she knew how to, was crime. But he didn't know that, and she never wanted him to find out.
Paragraph one, what do you tell the reader? Actually just sentence one: MC is facing new circumstances, MC made mistakes, MC is trying to make it right. That's the outline version, but that's also what you literally wrote. We need specificity and actual facts and circumstances to relate or appreciate what's going on. Over the course over 75 words, all we learn is that she has turned to crime. . . for some reason.

And the reason this bothers me is that you're so close. You understand that a change of circumstance, drastic actions, turmulet relationships are good. That's great fodder for any story. But you absolutely can't estalbish that by saying they exist. You have to show the audience what that means. Even in a paragraph of exposition, show us the specific facts.

OVERALL:

It's fine. Some of the dialogue bothered me, but it was mostly the writing. This could be very easily a would keep reading, which is doubly frustrating.

THE GOOD

It's a bit off the wall, but it's a fairly interesting premise. Or maybe not premise. . . It's got a weird detail that made me sit up straight and say, "what"? I don't know. What I'm saying is that it's surprising to a certain degree and it grabs your attention.

THE BAD

It's very hard to read. The prose is all very, very short and stilted. Conversations go in in snippets without anyone being identified for large swathes of time. At first, I thought this was experimental or artistic. I thought you were doing some stylized prose at first. But no.

OVERALL:

Unfrotunatly, that problem with the prose makes it very very unenjoyable to read. Vary sentence length and work on the flow.

Rating: Would Keep Reading

THE INTRUIGING

It's hard to say what parts are good or bad. You have a very clear style in your head and you execute something that is very unique. I think in large part it works and gives the narrative a dream like quality. Which is to say, I don't think it works 100% of the time. When the style stumbles, i snap from going "Oh it's artistic" to "Is this AI generated?" The more avant garde you are, the more you have to nail it.

Reminded me of the Naked Lunch. So weird.

OVERALL:

It's interesting. Especially for something is supposed to be pornographic? It'd be neat if some areas were cleared up and a little more senseical, but for a short chapter that is essentially a blurb to sell the rest of your story, I'm interested with the caveat that it could go too far at some point. Wistful dream-like descriptions and converations can only get you so far most times.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Please be gentle, just kidding, ruin my day !

The World Begins A New
Would not keep reading.

THE GOOD

You establish the overall conflict and stakes- the whole world is ransomed.
You have a good driving force out of the gate- survive, they're coming to kill you.

WHY IT DOESN'T WORK

The core issues are pacing and characteriziation. It's something I talked about on my guide on youtube, in that there's a structure to stories. You establish the normal and what things are like, what a character is like, and then you move them over to the weird and abnormal. You are so focused on excitement that you don't have a solid foundation to place that on. I have no clue what this character is like, no real reason to care about the stakes.

Like, in your mind you think: the reader knows what the world is, he can understand wanting to save everyone in it. But I don't. Even if its "Earth", people don't just disappear because of the moon. It's fantasy to some degree. So what is it like? Show us throught he MC's life, and how they feel about the world. The problems that they're trying to overcome. The point of portal fantasy is to short track your stakes and worldbuilding by saying "here's something you know", but it's a shortcut, not a way to simply ignore it totally. One solid chapter is standard, and then things get weird.

As well, it's pretty "been there done that". This is the type of thing I see ALL the time. Which can be find, but you have to execute it well, especially because you're competing with one hundred other people who are doing the exact same thing.

OVERALL

Not bad, not good. You have a good sense of excitement and how to entertain, it's just a shame that you skipped over all the important stuff just to get there. I will say, for the structure that you have here, it's probably the best version of that I've seen. Normally when a writer tripps up the way you have, everything else is really bad, but that's not the case here. You have same innate talent that can be built upon.

Yorth

Swordman
Hello, please do take a look at my first chapter if you're still offering.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Hello, please do take a look at my first chapter if you're still offering.
Would keep reading

THE GOOD

A good conflict that had some added dynism to it. I'm on the kids side at first because he's the protagonist and he seems to be a nice guy. Very reasonable. Even had a nice line to the knight about having to live with death. But then we get to the trial and after hearing the charges, I think: well, maybe not.

And the core set up was interesting albeit unintentional I think. You start by saying, only two have to die. I thought this meant initially that it wasn't decided. So the idea of a trial could have gone a couple of different ways. Like, would he throw his friends under the bus? Maybe he could get out of it. In the end, it's clear that wasn't the intent, but it made for an engaging start.

OVERALL

I don't have any specific cirtiques worth adding in their own section. I think the second half was a bit less interesting than the first when things got crazy an dungrounded, but maybe that's just me. Overall, it's very well done and I enjoyed this.

*Oh, 50 lashes is silly btw. That's enough to kill you if the whipper is remotely serious. Maybe reduce that down to twenty.

Yorth

Swordman
*Oh, 50 lashes is silly btw. That's enough to kill you if the whipper is remotely serious. Maybe reduce that down to twenty.
Yo, that's true, lol. I just pulled a number out of my ass for that one. Will reduce to 20

But thank you so much for reading it so quickly and giving me feedback, that is really awesome of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.