Gaining more readers/audiences

nahyesq

Hello, new user here!
So, I've read Plus1's tips on getting your fic on the trending tab of the hub. One of the tips is to post regularly.

Of course I've stockpilled my work to 60+ chapters and so on so that i can post daily to the site, but was it really just depends on the latest updates to get more views or readers when you're off the "Latest Series" tab? Pray that someone or somehow that your fic got shown to another user on the site whether its via tags or anything else. Was it really just that or there's another way? Thanks in advance

SailusGebel

Write a novel with genres and tags that are popular on this site. You can also post on other sites.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Posting consistently is one way, the other is by establishing a reader base which typically involves time and effort.

That, or start a gender bender story.
Better yet, Isekai!

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
Add smut on your tags, then use big titties anime pic as a cover. That, or a gender bender. :blob_sir:

nahyesq

Posting consistently is one way, the other is by establishing a reader base which typically involves time and effort.

I have no problem with posting consistently, I can post one chapters a day sooo yeah.
Write a novel with genres and tags that are popular on this site. You can also post on other sites.
I'm not sure what could be considered as popular genres and tags for my own fic. Though I've focused myself on writing just one fic so that i can be productive and yeah I've also posted it on other sites. I just found out about SH so I will be posting like 2-3 chapters a day to catch up with other sites' pace.

Harem smut isekai. With some genderbending and cultivation.

If your feel really shameless than toss in BL or GL.

Add smut on your tags, then use big titties anime pic as a cover. That, or a gender bender. :blob_sir:
I have never actually written that kind of story tbh, so i'm afraid that i'll let my readers disappointed with something that I'm not used to write with. It is indeed one of the most visited/read fic on the SH though.

Thank you guys!!

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
What I did was a posted a chapter every day. For you it'll be easier to do it cause you have a backlog, as for me I wrote every day and posted the chapter after editing. I recommend slowing down publishing chapters once you get caught up. A bit of a tip, if you get to around 15 chapters in your backlog, then slow down and release depending on your writing speed. I write a chapter a day and release every two days for example. That way I'll always have double the amount written than releasing.

SailusGebel

I'm not sure what could be considered as popular genres and tags for my own fic. Though I've focused myself on writing just one fic so that i can be productive and yeah I've also posted it on other sites. I just found out about SH so I will be posting like 2-3 chapters a day to catch up with other sites' pace.
SH likes; smut, harem, isekai, litrpg, naruto and MHA fanfics, girls love and gender bender. Also, BL isn't that popular. You might get a small boost at the beginning as the community of BL lovers is very supportive, yet you will hit the ceiling fast.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Cover really helps, but yeah you get a huge spike being in the latest series. Often people search for a specific tag and order it by latest series as well.

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
Try to publish at different times each day to gain more potential readers.
Good cover, a flashy title like using literal premise as your title also kinda works.
Use certain tags like people listed above. (smut, gender bender, girls love. etc).

TheHelpfulFawn

A small animal that helps you with your groceries
Hello, new user here!
So, I've read Plus1's tips on getting your fic on the trending tab of the hub. One of the tips is to post regularly.

Of course I've stockpilled my work to 60+ chapters and so on so that i can post daily to the site, but was it really just depends on the latest updates to get more views or readers when you're off the "Latest Series" tab? Pray that someone or somehow that your fic got shown to another user on the site whether its via tags or anything else. Was it really just that or there's another way? Thanks in advance
Do research on what your target audience wants and give it to them. Post daily/weekly/in a timely manner so that your audience's attention doesn't wane. Communication here and there to update your audience on what is happening with the series.

Agentt

Thighs
Hello, new user here!

*pats*
Well, we have loads of factors, cover being one. Tags being another. Title is important, even title of the chapters, and also number them. Put the link of your chapter in your signature, use the story feedback often,and post ideally twice a week.

Take a look at the geographic information of your viewers and schedule the chapters according to them.

Be active on comment section, and announce your hiatus.

The synopsis is important as well,

And, well, just have fun

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Having fun is the critical bit.

I say, being a but hypocritical in that I'm sad about low reader numbers in my own work :'( (I'm also strictly writing for me, and I am advertising as little as possible. It feels... icky.)

Make sure your work has forward trajectory, and know how to combat writers block if it creeps up on ya.

If you have a loyal readerbase (one who will keep reading with ya, even if they don't comment, but even better if they do!!), I feel that takes the edge off the sting of "why is nothing working?!"

You may, if you want, try a little trick of running a "popular"/"bait" title, and then advertise your other titles. Untested, so cannot speak for any effectiveness.

Review trades are another way of getting activity. Either include your work, or find someone who's also doing it. Just be prepared for criticism but usually people will be polite if you are with them :3

NobleTalon

Hello, new user here!

Unless your novel is on the front page, you won't get many views from the site itself.

Like people said above : your best bet is to put some key tags, those the most readers look for, and to post regularly.

I started my novel 6 days ago, when it was on the front page I had a lot of traffic for the first chapters and now almost nobody comes from the site anymore. Most of them come from the link I spread on different places after posting a chapter.

If you want a few numbers to see what I mean, yesterday I got 266 views from the links I posted and only 51 from the site. So, around 84% of my readers come from my activity anywhere else (discord servers, forum, bookmarks, etc.), and only 16% come from the site (tags, browsing, search bar etc.)

And if I count my own views when posting and editing chapters, it's closer to 90% / 10%

When your novel doesn't have a lot of visibility, you should try to focus on that 90% instead of relying on the site traffic and its 10%.

(unless you write a clickbait and super mainstream novel, which works as well but it all depends on if you write for your pleasure or just to get visibility)

Last edited:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

Traps are fantastic. But having a gendbend that makes the boy act like a girl is boring. Like, if he's going to act like a girl, then just make a girl!

That being said, traps are delicious!

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
Traps are fantastic. But having a gendbend that makes the boy act like a girl is boring. Like, if he's going to act like a girl, then just make a girl!

That being said, traps are delicious!
I don't think it's the same. Some genderbenders I've read have done a great job trying to portray the duality of genders and the process of coming to terms with a new identity, which is exclusive to the genre. Plus, the difference between the transition is tangible despite having no deeper meaning to it. Some characters become more confident, sometimes the contrary might happen, or perhaps feel a little more fulfilled than their previous gender.

But I don't know about traps being delicious, I haven't had the opportunity to try them out :blob_joy: