Have you ever gotten bored of a story you are working on but don't want to stop because the readers keep requesting it?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
To explain, I have a story that I have grown a bit bored of along with the fact that I only created it to better my writing skills with other styles. The story started out interesting to write but I am growing very bored of it. Then there is also the fact that it has over a hundred readers. I don't want to disappoint them but I really don't want to write it anymore. any thoughts?

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
you said you want to better your writing skills? Sounds like a good way to practice writing a conclusion to a story.

Exactly my thoughts. If you keep forcing yourself, you're just going to end up writing filler. Might as well go out with a bang!

Jet

You are quite lucky to receive actual feedback in the first place. God job getting ppl hooked! Striving to finish what you started is the least you could do in return. Is it stark impossible to sway the story in a way so that you'd start enjoying it once again?

Then again, it depends on where you are storywise. If the story has just started, might be worth it to drop the thing entirely. While trying to salvage the most of it, and bring the readers to your new story. Would have to explain why you let them down, and make some promises, probably. But if you are close to the ending or in the late middle of the story at least; well, I'd try to follow up on the commitment that was made, and rush for some semblance of conclusion as a baseline. Unless you are burnt out through and through, I guess. Might make things worse that way after all.

Last edited:

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
To explain, I have a story that I have grown a bit bored of along with the fact that I only created it to better my writing skills with other styles. The story started out interesting to write but I am growing very bored of it. Then there is also the fact that it has over a hundred readers. I don't want to disappoint them but I really don't want to write it anymore. any thoughts?
Fear not kind sir cauz I have the medicine! (Or just an idea to help you out!)

This has happened to me more times than I can count: at first you are invested in the novel but then, after some time you get bored of writing it.
What usually helps me in these situations is writing something else. I have several ideas for other novels that I want to write so I end up picking one of them and BOOM *imagination*!
No, but for real, you don't need to always write the same novel, the same thing, or something like that. You can always find an ending to the story itself but if you feel like the novel has more juice to give and you don't want to end it yet then either take a break from it or, swap the writing of that novel with another one you have in your bucket list!

DubstheDuke

To be completely honest, no.

Throughout the entire writing of my story, there was never once a time where I felt BORED. Because if I did, then I knew that I shouldn't be writing what I was writing, and I would go come up with something else.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Can't say this ever happened to me.

My suggestion would be to rush to an ending. Better than to keep writing something you're bored of.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I wish I have advices, but I have a different problem, I got the skeleton, I just lack the will to place the meat and showcase it in SH.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't get bored with my writing. I just pop out a baby and have to hold my nipple in its mouth all the time, so I no longer have time to write.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i have what i call self-diagnosed schizophrenia, or what others call delusions of grandeur. anyway, I just imagine all these fans I have (which i don't) and feel guilty that I'm not writing enough for them. with an imagination this potent, I eventually give way and write to satiate my imaginary fans' deisres.

fake fans, fake guilt, real passion.

i need to take meds.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
A 100 readers is literally nothing. Try harder

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
Some stories just need to be told. If it gets really tedious, then perhaps it is time to stop. But, otherwise you do want to push through the "boring" parts of a novel. It's what writing is all about. There is no way one will find inspiration or delight in doing the same sort of work everyday, and anyone who says otherwise is either a genius or a liar.

I'm neither, but the idea is that regular writing is what writing as a hobby is all about. Nobody actually requests my story, but that won't stop me from writing them!

morhamza

My first instinct is for you to find ways to make it interesting again. Why is it boring? Can you change it? Can you add new subplots?
If the story itself isn't the problem, then you have to work through it, it might just be a phase. However, if you still feel bored writing this after trying everything, end it. Find a conclusion that covers all the plot points and brings closure for the readers.