How to write accent?

Schultz_von

I don't know if there is a thread for this, so I just made one.
So... when people talk, they talk with an accent - obviously - even if they came from the same region, the way they talk will always be slightly different. Heck, even my brother sounds different when he spoke, like seriously why does he speaks like that!? So my question is, how do you translate that into words? How did you guys make it that these two different characters are different when they speak? because sometimes when I write dialog, it feels like they are just the same person, just back and forward.
So ... help!

Reactions: CL

CL

So... when people talk, they talk with an accent - obviously - even if they came from the same region, the way they talk will always be slightly different. Heck, even my brother sounds different when he spoke, like seriously why does he speaks like that!? So my question is, how do you translate that into words? How did you guys make it that these two different characters are different when they speak? because sometimes when I write dialog, it feels like they are just the same person, just back and forward.
So ... help!
I just pronounce the accent and spell it out as how it sounds. Like let's take your name for an example. Schultz, for me, sounds like "Shults". But now someone else could come from another region of wherever and pronounce it differently as "Shools" and going a step further by leaving the "t" completely silent. "Shults" and "Shools". Or how about that title "Another World Magician" could sound as is, but having that "Shools" character pronouncing it it could sound like "Anoo'er Wald Maigishen".

What I have described, would that make sense for your accents? :blob_hmm_two:

SailusGebel

You mean like Brad Pitt's "Pikey" accent?
I mean that English isn't Japanese. You can't just use cockney(example) in dialogues. Because people from all around the world and people with different levels of English read web novels. By adding accents, slang terms, jargon, and even memes, you might confuse a lot of readers. They won't understand things, or they will think it's a typo\mistake. Simple is better.

CL

I mean that English isn't Japanese. You can't just use cockney(example) in dialogues. Because people from all around the world and people with different levels of English read web novels. By adding accents, slang terms, jargon, and even memes, you might confuse a lot of readers. They won't understand things, or they will think it's a typo\mistake. Simple is better.
I like that reasoning very much. Good point. :blob_salute:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
If you do spell words to match an accent make sure to state that the character is speaking with whatever specific accent you want. This makes it easier for a reader to know that it isn't a typo or you having a stroke mid sentence. However, this doesn't work well with some accents for many reasons.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
You have five million different fonts available world wide. Pick something neutral for normal Non-speaking writing, then everyone who has an accent gets a different font. Times new roman is the superior font, so use that as your base, then maybe Ariel Narrow if you have a freak. Only freaks use Ariel Narrow.

ME <------ FONT SNOB!!!

Agentt

Thighs
Don't do this unless you want to confuse people.
Agreed

But, if ya wanna, well, there is one way, and that is to do it the way i did that there, writing wanna and all.

Secon' way is, to add these co'as at ra'dom places, prefe'ly substitu'ing the letter n.
Or, you can add words or phrases well known for that community, like blimey, dickens, etc

SailusGebel

well known for that community, like blimey, dickens, etc
And force readers to google those words because they aren't part of that community. Readers don't even check tags or read a novel's description, and you force them to google the words that might not appear on a first google page. What can go wrong here? :blob_hmm: Hmm...

_oinkchan

So ... help!
Eg- If an American says Water ill write- Wader. If a britisher then- W'o'er. If a russian- Wohtair. If an indian- whater. If a neutral accent- Water.

hauntedwritings

To make accents obvious, yeh ken make kensitent type-hoes, yeh? Or accentin' to emphasize that the character it too lazy to finish the word they are intendin' to speak. You can also use frekkin filler-words to show that the character is frekkin obsessed with its frekkin way of speaking.

The key is giving the character a set of 'rules' when they speak, and editing dialogue to fit those rules whenever said character speaks.