How would you categorize people in fandoms for an anime/manga?

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
I dunno... sounds like a lot of effort for something the show has made difficult to enjoy.
You could try watching One Pace, its the One Piece anime heavily edited to be more manga accurate and the time got cut down a lot.

When I say a lot, I mean A LOT. Toei went ham on lengthening the arcs.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Hello!!!!
How would you guys categorize the types of people in fandoms for the genre of anime/manga that you are most familiar with based on the way said fans act?

I would personally categorize them (people in fandoms of shonen anime/manga) as shippers, powerscalers, theorists, and casuals.
idiots, normies, basement dwellers, coomers

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Honestly? NPCs. I always skip what the NPCs say in games, so in fandoms, I also skip the opinions of fans unless I need something.

I am not vocal with my opinion in fandoms; likewise, I don't need fans' opinions. 😆
Damn… you know, my coworkers liked to joke that I was an NPC. I would go through idling code, doing chores and the like with a blank, almost dismal expression on my face. Whenever someone entered my trigger radius, I would march up to the cash register all welcoming-like and choose randomly from a long variety of prerecorded messages I put time and effort into making…:blob_teary: I had a bright, sunny smile and I was ready to help. Make their day! Give them all the service they could want!
Are you saying you would skip me? Your barista NPC?… just like that?…:blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary:

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Damn… you know, my coworkers liked to joke that I was an NPC. I would go through idling code, doing chores and the like with a blank, almost dismal expression on my face. Whenever someone entered my trigger radius, I would march up to the cash register all welcoming-like and choose randomly from a long variety of prerecorded messages I put time and effort into making…:blob_teary: I had a bright, sunny smile and I was ready to help. Make their day! Give them all the service they could want!
Are you saying you would skip me? Your barista NPC?… just like that?…:blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary:
If you aren't buggy or made by Bethesda, I will at least try all of your dialogue options.

MatchaChocolate69

Your Favorite Villain
@MatchaChocolate69 same. Haven't read it. Barely managed to watch through the first 25 episodes. It's a slog.
These are personal opinions, so take them as such. They are worth as much as anyone else's because I'm not a manga critic, and if I were, you should laugh at me.
I abandoned One Piece almost twenty years ago. And looking at it now in the images and reading news about it that unfortunately appear in front of me without me searching for them, but evidently Google is convinced that I appreciate One Piece (maybe beacuse i like manga, who knows), it has never progressed and has always remained at the starting point. For many, it's reassuring to have a story that never ends and characters that never change.
I don't judge those who appreciate One Piece; after all, I appreciate the worst kind of trash. But for me, it's truly a waste of time. A bit like those 1000+ chapters Chinese novels.

P.S. There are eight billion people on this rock, and to be optimistic, only 1% of them matter, and I'm pretty confident that neither you nor I are in that 1%. This is to say that among NPCs, we're in good company. :s_wink:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 54065

We are all NPCs to people who don't put value on us, hence it is pointless for me to listen to opinions from random people on the internet (unless I'm looking/searching for something).

But, I know you and you are my barista. You ain't an NPC to me, your co-workers be damned.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
We are all NPCs to people who don't put value on us, hence it is pointless for me to listen to opinions from random people on the internet (unless I'm looking/searching for something).

But, I know you and you are my barista. You ain't an NPC to me, your co-workers be damned.
:love::love::love:

StarrGaze

That's pretty much what I was going to answer. I just collapse the last two and use different names:
Outsider, Casual, Fan, Overinvested
You would be surprised by the difference between Overinvested fans and the delusional ones.

prognastat

You would be surprised by the difference between Overinvested fans and the delusional ones.
I tend to avoid both. I might have a higher limit for what I consider the baseline for overinvested than you do. In my opinion you can be quite invested without being overinvested. Honestly I wouldn't count someone as overinvested until their being a fan of something is either harming their own life or that of others around them.