I seriously consider buying a tablet for writing

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
The night falls, I go to bed, get into a good position.

My ideas “Hey brain, what a lovely day, isn’t it? Well, you see I think this scenario and setting should be…”

It has been 10 fucking years.

It’s midnight for fuck sake and I don’t want to drag my ass onto that chair again.

My phone is so fucking small and ill-suited to write. I can’t even answer a post in this forum without fuming over the uncomfortable of the iOS design.

Do you have any suggestions on what tablet would be good for a tight budget?

I favor durability and endurance.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Ai-chan uses Samsung Tablet. Don't know if it's sold in your country, but it was the cheapest Samsung Tab S6 Lite. It's basically the poor girl's Tab S6. Ai-chan bought it when it just came out, so it came with the Targus keyboard free of charge. The keyboard is not necessary, though. Ai-chan only bought it because it was the cheapest full-sized tablet with S-Pen.

S-Pens are great. It instantly raises the value of tablets greatly. And best of all, if you somehow lose your S-Pen, you can just use any other S-Pen, even ones from 10 years ago and it will work just fine. All S-Pens work for all Samsung products, as long as the Samsung product is designed to run S-Pen. S-Pens are cross product. It's awesome. Now you can write on freehand.

It is also very durable, but a little heavy. It has dropped on the floor many times for the past 3 years and nothing has broken yet.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

My ideas “Hey brain, what a lovely day, isn’t it? Well, you see I think this scenario and setting should be…”

It’s midnight for fuck sake and I don’t want to drag my ass onto that chair again.

My phone is so fucking small and ill-suited to write. I can’t even answer a post in this forum without fuming over the uncomfortable of the iOS design.

Do you have any suggestions on what tablet would be good for a tight budget?

I favor durability and endurance.
Generally, you shouldn't be writing in bed, and looking at a screen interferes with the sleep cycle. Not to mention even if you write on a tablet, it would be annoying.

Why not just use voice recording and maybe voice to text to record ideas if you really really must.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I recently got a surface go (not the cheapest one to note) and I can with certainty say that all I use it for is watching/reding stuff during dinner time.

It's only fun if you got a good (bluetooth) keyboard to go with it. But then you got to sit in bed which will destroy your intention of going to bed. Idk what iPhone you have, but the newer models and phones in general are all phablet size and are better suited to quickly note down ideas when night arises.

I don't recommend iPad though, it's expensive. The apps for iOS are often very pricey too. Surface has the advantage that you get normal window OS like on pc. (I chose windows because the programs I use are on monthly subscription basis for other tablet systems.)

tounokenja

Gyaru connoisseur
I have a walmart brand ONN Tablet Pro 10" tablet which I got for about $129 and an accompanying Anker BT keyboard for an additional $20 in december of 2020 strictly for the purpose of writing, even though I have a nice gaming laptop. The reason for me is that i'm mostly locked into a writing app and have to actively tab out to do shit like browse the internet or talk on discord. Since i've gotten it, i've powered through about 1.6M+ published words on SH as of last week. I keep one game on it for when I need to take breaks - Puzzle and Dragons. I've got YT premium (though people can use Vanced) along with some wireless ANC buds to help with noise distractions or mood setting music to help out... it's really quite nice and highly recommended, though tabbing in bed is difficult without some kind of chest-table thing to balance the tablet on and a nice stand (kickstands from cases don't really do a good job here, trust me.) for those cases a BT based keyboard/remote is nifty. You can type with your thumbs and it can double as a mouse too with the analogue stick.

Just a few suggestions from someone with that setup.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I find good old-fashioned pencil and paper to be very calming. Blue light from screens can keep you awake. If you get a nice red or amber lamp in your room, that will allow your body to start producing melatonin as you prepare for bed.

I also find that I make better edits when I type the entire thing later. When I was in school, the teachers told us that it would be easier to edit if we typed our first draft, but I was too hung up on making it perfect the first time if I typed it, so I found it harder to edit when it came time to revise things. Different things will work for different people, of course, so do what makes sense to you.

D

Deleted member 57675

I find good old-fashioned pencil and paper to be very calming. Blue light from screens can keep you awake. If you get a nice red or amber lamp in your room, that will allow your body to start producing melatonin as you prepare for bed.
Interesting. The screens make me feel sleepy after awhile.

Ah, I know right? My mind is once again starting to get active right when bedtime hits. And if you don't listen to it, maybe it'll get petty and give you a sleep paralysis! Wait, why is my mind working against me? Hmmph. :blob_catflip:

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
I have a DepED tablet which is temporarily be using by us students here in PH, though I must say that I'll rather use the cellphone because I can access the ⭐ section of the japanese hence I can use its different quotation mark and different emoticon rather than emoji :blob_okay:

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
Wouldn't a laptop be a better option?
No thanks.
I really don't want to deal with cleaning something that bulky.
Anyone of us with a physical keyboard knows how much of pain to clean it.

I also find that I make better edits when I type the entire thing later. When I was in school, the teachers told us that it would be easier to edit if we typed our first draft, but I was too hung up on making it perfect the first time if I typed it, so I found it harder to edit when it came time to revise things. Different things will work for different people, of course, so do what makes sense to you.
No light pls. I hate light.
Ai-chan uses Samsung Tablet. Don't know if it's sold in your country, but it was the cheapest Samsung Tab S6 Lite. It's basically the poor girl's Tab S6. Ai-chan bought it when it just came out, so it came with the Targus keyboard free of charge. The keyboard is not necessary, though. Ai-chan only bought it because it was the cheapest full-sized tablet with S-Pen.

S-Pens are great. It instantly raises the value of tablets greatly. And best of all, if you somehow lose your S-Pen, you can just use any other S-Pen, even ones from 10 years ago and it will work just fine. All S-Pens work for all Samsung products, as long as the Samsung product is designed to run S-Pen. S-Pens are cross product. It's awesome. Now you can write on freehand.

It is also very durable, but a little heavy. It has dropped on the floor many times for the past 3 years and nothing has broken yet.
It sold for something like $400 at the place I live but it's still a good view. I will see to it.

Generally, you shouldn't be writing in bed, and looking at a screen interferes with the sleep cycle. Not to mention even if you write on a tablet, it would be annoying.

Why not just use voice recording and maybe voice to text to record ideas if you really really must.
Ah. Sound. The most hateful enemy of bedtime. The wall here is paper-thin. You could hear the talking across the corridor so no thanks.
And no. I am not writing on bed. Just some longer than usual note.
Beside, it's an opportunity I can't overlook.

InfantryTerminator

Bit late to the party, but I use a tablet to write.

If you use thumbs to type, then pick mini-tables. I'm using a cheap one from Kruger&Matz, but does it job more than well.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I had a similar mindset then I realized I was just making excuses. Just fucking write already!