Imposter Syndrome

SternenklarenRitter

Anyone else ever feel it? The sense that you are not quite skilled/smart enough for your profession (or classes if you are a student) and you are actually deceiving everyone about your qualifications, just an imposter. Usually it helps to spend some time with friends and family outside your specialty. In my case I often feel like I'm not really a part of my family when I'm at home, like I'm not human, but an imposter changeling that has replaced my family's beloved member. Going to classes at college tends to clear up that feeling tough.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I do get overestimated on occasion, but that's never about myself to me.

But your case seems to heavy to keep it to yourself (as in professionals or close ones, not just internet strangers)

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I have always known I'm terrible. Though I don't care one bit. I do what I love and enjoy the small bit of satisfaction that comes with someone commenting or just reading my work.

SternenklarenRitter

It's actually more common than not in people attending college with at least upper 200s (2000s if you go to a larger university) level classes, although I suppose that might not include the curriculum of many 2 year degrees. Not one student in my organic chemistry class (that I spoke to at least, so 25% confirmed and 75% unknown) has not felt it. It can be rather common in professionals too, for example in doctors, lawyers, rocket scientists, and social workers, (especially at prestegious institutions like NASA). It's not necessarily anything bad, just something that indicates maybe you need some more time with friends who aren't also in "PHYSICS 260: Introduction to fluid dynamics" It can manifest as a symptom of or become a risk factor for depression, but it is not inherently more or less dangerous/harmful than other 'out of place' feelings like 'de zhavu' (I've never actually tried spelling that before, I am neither an English or French major).

CainStillWalks

Anyone else ever feel it? The sense that you are not quite skilled/smart enough for your profession (or classes if you are a student) and you are actually deceiving everyone about your qualifications, just an imposter. Usually it helps to spend some time with friends and family outside your specialty. In my case I often feel like I'm not really a part of my family when I'm at home, like I'm not human, but an imposter changeling that has replaced my family's beloved member. Going to classes at college tends to clear up that feeling tough.
yup. I felt that way forever, my parents eventually kicked me out and now im homeless so that feeling is even greater

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Absolutely, I try to do my hardest, but always feel like I am coming short of the people I love expectations for me.

I am not sure how you all feel, but sometimes life feels like a waking dream, like you are simply going through the motions with out any actual drive behind it.

Amok

grblbrbl
i peel away my skin each morning and open my control box to make sure i'm still human

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I often feel totally detached to life. So yeah, I know that feeling.

Aefener

I had an exemplary impostor syndrom when I started my first year as a PhD student. I thought everyone around me was much smarter and I got in only by pure luck. Hehe, how wrong I was! I even dare to think everyone in my class was thinking the same at that time! Then I got to know my classmates and it went away. There will always be someone smarter/more talented/prettier than you so there's no use to compare yourself to others. I try to live by that, sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing. But gradually getting better at just being me! :s_wink:

I often feel totally detached to life. So yeah, I know that feeling.
I used to frequently feel like this. it's probably a condition but I never bothered to get diagnosed. I don't trust doctors and their concoctions. I did actively fight against it though. and you should too. I think it'd be pretty beni-fish-ial

tiaf

I used to frequently feel like this. it's probably a condition but I never bothered to get diagnosed. I don't trust doctors and their concoctions. I did actively fight against it though. and you should too. I think it'd be pretty beni-fish-ial
I can't tell if that was just a joke or actually serious :blob_hmm_two:

Rather than just questioning my skills, I question my whole identity. Am I even fishy? Or am I just a stand-in for the real fish?!

This feeling is so weird.

I can't tell if that was just a joke or actually serious :blob_hmm_two:

Rather than just questioning my skills, I question my whole identity. Am I even fishy? Or am I just a stand-in for the real fish?!

This feeling is so weird.
it's called depersonalization I think. never looked too deeply into it. and I didn't know fish could have existential crises.

tiaf

it's called depersonalization I think. never looked too deeply into it. and I didn't know fish could have existential crises.

Fish has everyday

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Am I even fishy? Or am I just a stand-in for the real fish?!
But aren't you fishy either way?

It's actually more common than not in people attending college with at least upper 200s (2000s if you go to a larger university) level classes, although I suppose that might not include the curriculum of many 2 year degrees. Not one student in my organic chemistry class (that I spoke to at least, so 25% confirmed and 75% unknown) has not felt it. It can be rather common in professionals too, for example in doctors, lawyers, rocket scientists, and social workers, (especially at prestegious institutions like NASA). It's not necessarily anything bad, just something that indicates maybe you need some more time with friends who aren't also in "PHYSICS 260: Introduction to fluid dynamics" It can manifest as a symptom of or become a risk factor for depression, but it is not inherently more or less dangerous/harmful than other 'out of place' feelings like 'de zhavu' (I've never actually tried spelling that before, I am neither an English or French major).
I realize that my answer, despite being only about one of your worries, that being the estrangement from close ones, but didn't state that.

As far as the professional aspect goes, I'd say it's somewhat inevitable.
You spend your day learning about what geniuses before you have achieved, sometimes even in the phase of their life you are in now, while also being regularly reminded of your own limits, since each new problem can shatter the confidence you built from overcoming the last.

And somewhat intuitively knowing that to those unaware you could spout the biggest nonsense and they'd believe you, you begin to blame yourself for the "undeserved" praise.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Imposter syndrome sucks. Like, you just feel that nothing you do is good, it's all awful, you won't amount to a fucking thing ever...

I dislike it with a burning passion. I especially hate when I lose my motivation to do things because of it >.<

Doesn't help my host is actually smart, so I don't get to feel smart around them either :( (I do get to feel decisive and important though, so ha!)