Need some help with a town name.

Western42

....I may be Insane....
I need yer help. Which sounds better? Dogwood Town, or Day Lily Town? This is a small, remote fantasy town known for their flowerbed river.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
I need yer help. Which sounds better? Dogwood Town, or Day Lily Town? This is a small, remote fantasy town known for their flowerbed river.
I think that it depends on the architecture, the main season happening right now, and on the type of fantasy.
More supernatural leanings, with ghosts or demons; more rustic, or on the opposite end, rich Southern leanings for the architecture. Things like cabins and such; and more wintry weather would be better for Dogwood Town. A more pessimistic tone for the story would also make me lean towards Dogwood.
More classical Hobbit fantasy, or magicks that are much nicer and less morally vague are in use; whimsical or abstract housing structures; and more summer and spring seasons would be better for Day Lily Town. And optimism as well.

Theirl

...---...
Dog Lily Town.
Dog lily is a good name i can even put a small backstory about when the village was founded half of the settlers wanted dogwood and the other half day lily after some discussion to compromisse both sides it became dog lily town, now in the present there are 2 major political party in the town the dog party and the lilly party

TheMonotonePuppet

Dog lily is a good name i can even put a small backstory about when the village was founded half of the settlers wanted dogwood and the other half day lily after some discussion to compromisse both sides it became dog lily town, now in the present there are 2 major political party in the town the dog party and the lilly party
Is... that the extent you could stretch the potential of a conflict that created a unique name? The worldbuilding is so... lackluster.:blob_happy: It's painfully childish. Unless it is a story created by a child within the actual story, or a purposeful caricature of the state of things in a poster or something by a political comic writer, it won't actually contribute anything to the actual story if it is an actual part of the lore.

jrell

Or, hear me out, make a bloody civil war backstory because of the name, and then add two founder families who, to this day, conflict with each other because of it.
1702255175637.png

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Or you could go the route that a Welsh town did and make it super long to describe exactly how the village is:
Townbesideaflowerbedriverthathasliliesgrowdailywhilebesideadogwoodthatisfullofwarmthfromtheloveofourdeity.

Or something else.
If you're just wanting simple, though, then possibly:
Lilyton, Dogwoodsville, Liliville, Dowoli, etc...

Or if you're wanting it between what you gave, then I'd pick Dogwood Town since it sounds easier to say.

X

TheMonotonePuppet

Or you could go the route that a Welsh town did and make it super long to describe exactly how the village is:
Townbesideaflowerbedriverthathasliliesgrowdailywhilebesideadogwoodthatisfullofwarmthfromtheloveofourdeity.

Or something else.
If you're just wanting simple, though, then possibly:
Lilyton, Dogwoodsville, Liliville, Dowoli, etc...

Or if you're wanting it between what you gave, then I'd pick Dogwood Town since it sounds easier to say.

X
I like the super long one. Tickles my funny bone.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It depends on your target audience. Day Lily Town sounds better if you're catering to women and/or have unicorns in your story. Dogwood Town sounds better if you're catering to men and/or have an adventurers' guild.

TheMonotonePuppet

It depends on your target audience. Day Lily Town sounds better if you're catering to women and/or have unicorns in your story. Dogwood Town sounds better if you're catering to men and/or have an adventurers' guild.
I mean, if you think about it, Dogwood Town would be better for a furry romance with a canine-human love interest. Hidden pun for the reader anyone?
And Day Lily Town could be built around a district full of very kind lilies. In a fantasy word, that could be a euphemism for prostitutes.

Western42

....I may be Insane....
Alright. This is a bit of spoiler for the story, but the town itself is very pretty. It is known for its flowers, river, and how pleasant it is. However, the story is actually dark and morbid, and I'll leave it off there. But it's not suppose to appear disturbing or grim, dark, and etc at first.

Theirl

...---...
Is... that the extent you could stretch the potential of a conflict that created a unique name? The worldbuilding is so... lackluster.:blob_happy: It's painfully childish. Unless it is a story created by a child within the actual story, or a purposeful caricature of the state of things in a poster or something by a political comic writer, it won't actually contribute anything to the actual story if it is an actual part of the lore.
i know i was bored and wrote the first thing came to my mind xD

bulmabriefs144

Alright. This is a bit of spoiler for the story, but the town itself is very pretty. It is known for its flowers, river, and how pleasant it is. However, the story is actually dark and morbid, and I'll leave it off there. But it's not suppose to appear disturbing or grim, dark, and etc at first.
Dog Lily (drop Town from the name, as most towns don't have it). Lilies are often poisonous to dogs. Go with that theme when fleshing out your town.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
All the towns near are just named after towns in England. A lot only changed by adding the word New to the front. If you can't think of a name just do what us Americans do and steal one and put New infornt

bulmabriefs144

But it has to be two words, like the namer of the town just thought morning wood was the first tree the sunlight hits or something.