smut can be better

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i've always seen smut not as a niche genre of gratification but as missed opportunities. sex, with its obvious appeals taken out, in its barest form, is essentially two partners naked and exposed to one another; it's the ultimate sign of "i trust them with my whole body". unless it's taken in the context of a no-strings-attached one-night stand, it's a prime stage for character exploration.

in other normal settings, characters that suddenly open up would seem more unnecessarily naive than they are deep. rarely are they set up well enough to justify them divulging this much emotional vulnerability to, more often than not, the MC who is just a stranger they met for a month or two. i know you know what I'm talking about; side characters that talk about their parent's death or a deep scar from the past by chapter 5 so the author can get a move on with character arcs. but when your ice is broken by literally having entered/been entered by the subject (provided that there's justified build-up in between), it's natural that someone would want to get closer with the person they shared an intimate moment with, and vice versa.

out of ALL the character dramas I've consumed in my life, I've never seen smut, or sex in general, being recognized as a great story tool for character exploration. the icebreaker between characters are, more often than not, rivalries-turned-forced-partnership shounen duos or "The MC is the only one to notice something wrong about them" romcom cliches.

of course, conflict is the most efficient dynamic to achieve intimacy between characters, but like brothers in arms during war, a common goal can unite two individuals and have them open up. with smut/sex, the goal is, without beating around the bush, hitting an orgasm. it's not to the degree of two Privates trying to keep each other alive as a platoon on a battlefield, but having your privates exposed to one another does achieve the same effect to another lateral level. neither effects are can be graded on an objective scale; they're apples and oranges. I'm just making an analogy that's easier to understand.

this is why you always see me jumping into subtle defence for the harem smut genre in a few threads. smut has worthy substance beyond its surface appeal of "fugging". i always see them as having great potential for character interaction beyond "ooh big tits must fondle". hell, I'm writing one myself, and despite hitting the usual roadblocks of writing in a genre for the first time, I'm having fun exploring narrative threads that wouldn't be possible in an otherwise contemporary drama. i can't say it's a shame that not many authors are seeing the same thing I'm seeing, because who goes into a smut series expecting Woody Allen? most smut are shoddily written, puddle-deep fantasies, and that's the way it'll ultimately be. the collective hand of the consumers ultimately dictates the market. personally, i write for my own enjoyment, but therein lies the keyword: personally. everyone's bound to have some good ideas in their head that they dropped or heavily modified in order to fit mainstream conventions. the truth is that we all want our stuff to be read, and if no one's reading our stuff, you can't deny it's a huge blow towards your incentive to write.

I've been reading this Korean manhwa called Circles. it's harem smut, yes, but it shows an example of what I've established. yes, it's raunchy and not what you'd nominate for a prestigious award, but it uses its sex as a jump pad for characters to open up about insecurities, mistakes, and of course, their affection for the MC. it also helps that the scenes in between have great dialogue and interactions in general. there's no overarching plot point or mcguffin to attain; it's just horny college students growing close with one another, going through altercations and having fun. it's not ambitious or praise-worthy, but it is intimate and sensitive. in a climate where every series is either trying to cast the widest net or be the next One Piece, it's comfortable to sit down and enjoy some smooth character writing (and big tits).

i realize what I'm asking for is an inverse against the main appeal for smut; immediate gratification. why would i ask for depth from a genre where most readers beat off in 10 minutes max and fuck off to do something else? i can't answer that, because the question already answers itself. i still hold a sentiment that smut has major potential beyond the mainstream's sentiment towards it. we all laugh at gay fanfics on AO3, but from furtive glances at some chapters (it was just a reading for goofs between friends i swear), some of the well-written ones make me invest in their characters more so than the ones from popular webnovels and, in some instances, their counterparts from the source materials. i wouldn't say that the sex was crucial in making these moments possible, but i would say that it wouldn't have the same impact had the characters been built up from a different context.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Why yes. I totally read everything and agree one hundred percent.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
What you expect going in influences how you evaluate what you actually get. And I'd say smut doesn't evoke particularly high estimates about character depth in most.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
What you expect going in influences how you evaluate what you actually get. And I'd say smut doesn't evoke particularly high estimates about character depth in most.
I wrote from a perspective of a creator more so than an audience. Smut will always be perceived as the black hole of quality, but the framework the genre provides does have good potential, I feel.

LilRora

Mostly formless
I'd say that the problem you're talking about can be seen in the fact that there are hardly any good stories that don't shy away from sex and all things connected (especially romcoms, which seem to avoid like fire), and there are hardly any smut stories that have any deep and meaningful character development. Most stories (especially romcoms, again, but not only) seem to put the physical intimacy as the thing that happens after the couple is happily together and the story is finished, which annoys me to no end particularly in suggestive stories.

But that can also be seen in the mainstream movies and anime, because tell me how many series haver you seen that had sex scenes in them? Just about the only two that come to my mind are Game of Thrones and the infamous Redo of Healer. Even if you add those where the scenes are skipped via black screen or another convenient tool, I could still count them on my fingers.

And if you ask me for the reason for that, I say it's the conventions, social norms, and all things connected. Good luck changing them, I guess?

I wrote from a perspective of a creator more so than an audience. Smut will always be perceived as the black hole of quality, but the framework the genre provides does have good potential, I feel.
It definitely does, if only because it's not overused like isekai, reincarnation, or other popular tropes.

You can check these Unusual Cases if you don't mind girl's love or transgender mc, because this whole story basically revolves around sex and while it's not heights of literature, I feel this matches what you wrote really well.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
You referenced things you read to illustrate your point, that's what I'm referring to.
This isn't smut specific but I've noticed that I liked works better that exceeded lower expectations than those that met average ones.
Might sound obvious, but this held even when the actual quality (as objectively as I can determine that) of the latter was higher.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Yes, smut/sex could be a tool for character development and a drive for relationship establishment. Kinda ironic since good and enjoyable sex needs trust and communication between the two/multiple parties. Yet it goes down the smut solely for the F*ck route in most works.

avaseofpeonies

your cool weird auntie
Dude, this is some serendipity. I was just going to post a question very relevant to what you've said here.

What you've described is one of my major goals with Salvage. After getting rejected by yet another of the gatekeeping sites for explicit content, I've been wondering if I should offer a censored version, but I can't figure out how I would censor it without the reader missing some important stuff. It doesn't have many explicit scenes, but the few there are have too much characterization and even a bit of plot development to just cut them outright.

But my entire goal for this story is to give a deeper exploration of the navigation of intimate relationships, particularly in people who've had traumatic experiences, and I hate the thought of censoring it at all. It's a frustrating decision.

I'd love to see more out there along these lines, if anyone has any recommendations. I'm usually more into fantasy settings, but I'll have to check out Circles.

lambenttyto

It depends. I also don't call it "smut" unless it's just a sex scene. I write stories, good stories, with erotic, sometimes graphic, scenes.

avaseofpeonies

your cool weird auntie
Just as an aside, 'smut' used as a literary term is not supposed to refer to just any explicit sexual content. Copied directly from Scribblehub's definition - "Erotic work of fiction that’s mainly targeted toward females. Smut stories often gives heavy focus on love and relationships between the main characters."

Again, this is the word used as a literary term, not its dictionary definition. It comes from the grand old tradition of referring to women's romance novels, such as those published by Harlequin, et al. as 'smutty romances'. (See also: trashy romances.)

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
A ton of stuff on the TG side of SH falls into this category. It's just an even more niche market than deep harem/smut so it gets overlooked.

Don't take that as a guarantee though... It's still smut.

kophzi

I write smut.
I've been getting messages because people don't care about character development, they just want more brainless smut.
Literally messaging me to remind me to get back to the real plot, not plot.
Iono.

It's not like I watch JohnnySins to see his character develop.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Try reading more stories written by females, especially those with female protagonists, especially those with one-star ratings 😇

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
well as I discovered, writing pure smut for the sake of it without any character development or chemistry, gets old real quick. We don't just want dicks and fannies, we want people.
I can't remember the author now, but there were some complaints that a script was used with each book she churned out and it became predictable and boring. If the author has put the work in to develop chemistry between characters, a graphic sex scene isn't even needed but just the icing on the cake.