Solo leveling hot takes

SailusGebel

Nah, I'm good. 👍

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
Solo Leveling is basically Edgy Dark Minion User Magician Who Also Is A Stealthy Assassin #137896. One more to the pile of dysfunctional korean social hierarchy stories that grow like weeds wherever you look. It's a "JUNIOR! DO YOU DARE COURT DEATH?!" but with different honorary suffixes and names.

It's like those Facebook stories with MC getting out of jail after X years but they're actually a quintillionaire God of War Supreme High General and has unlimited monetary funds and authority, who also got medical skills from a mysterious olg man during their sentence in prison. There's hundreds of those but with different names for characters and city.

Lone sigma wolf mc's who are insufferable and can't make human connections unless the other party is a minion to them. Only people who rot in the comfort of their mental illness unironically enjoy these stories... Also the ant arc was boring as shit

MatchaChocolate69

Your Favorite Villain
Solo Leveling is basically Edgy Dark Minion User Magician Who Also Is A Stealthy Assassin #137896. One more to the pile of dysfunctional korean social hierarchy stories that grow like weeds wherever you look. It's a "JUNIOR! DO YOU DARE COURT DEATH?!" but with different honorary suffixes and names.

It's like those Facebook stories with MC getting out of jail after X years but they're actually a quintillionaire God of War Supreme High General and has unlimited monetary funds and authority, who also got medical skills from a mysterious olg man during their sentence in prison. There's hundreds of those but with different names for characters and city.

Lone sigma wolf mc's who are insufferable and can't make human connections unless the other party is a minion to them. Only people who rot in the comfort of their mental illness unironically enjoy these stories... Also the ant arc was boring as shit
You have a point.

melchi

What is a custom title?
I watched the first ep of the anime and I thought the art quality was quite good.

As for the book? I read some of it but didn't really like it. There are a lot more korean litrpgs that have a much better story IMO. That being said, solo leveling has an early advantage. I think it came out in 2016 back then litrpgs were kinda a new and exciting thing. I think that is what made it so popular.

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
All.

But I generally dislike Korean stories. Their influence on the genre and their mania with litrpg, grinding and turning bland tropes into even worse ones, made me automatically avoid everything that is coming from them.

I think the only Korean story I ever enjoyed was Gluttony. (second coming of gluttony? I don't remember the full title) but I was still frustrated with many aspects of it.

Solo leveling was something I dropped very quickly as I simply had enough of their stories to know I wouldn't like it.

Also:

I dislike litrpgs. Here is what I think of them to make this an even hotter take:

• Systems are useless
  • People overcomplicate their system and then find themselves falling from one hole into another.
  • Half of the chapters are stats. The system is nothing more than a glorified word count extension for that sweet mulah.
  • A game system makes sense in a game because it is there for balance reasons, for you to interact with, etc. In a story, it is as useless as Air Jordans for a quadruple amputee.
  • Systems are being used by people to wave away everything and/or introduce something without the need to think about it and explain it in-lore.
  • They are a chore to keep up with. I am here to read a story and not to look up excel spreadsheets every time I open up a new chapter. And as I said, they usually fucking useless because the author needs to keep track of a bajillion skills and stats, how they interact with each other, how will it make sense, what are the stats of the other characters, enemies, etc. Do they do that? No. So it is fucking useless because everything can be explained without the system anyway. It just there because its the trend now.
That's it in short.
Here's a few that may change your mind:
Heavenly Demon can't live a Normal Life
Estio
To You Who Kept the Star
Daytime Star
A Returner's Magic should be Special
Revenge Lawfirm
Nano Machine

I hope you read these and maybe find some you like.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
It was bad. But it looked shiny, so most people would like it. MC is an A-hole, the story is "grinding go brrr" as far as I got, and the setting is THE Korean setting... Seriously, do they even have any other fantasy settings outside of the standard Isekai reincarnation and tower/dungeon (MMO) system apocalypse? And those martial art ones don't count as "fantasy" IMO, since that's it's own genre by now.

Sure there are a few that aren't bad despite the setting like Novel Extra, Ending Maker (which is MMO reincarnation, so it still kinda fits the lack of variety), Overgeared (where the MC starts as giant A-hole but actually mellows out and turns into something resembling a human being)

Korea with their MMO-esque grind stories is stuck in the same hype loop Japan had and still has with Isekai Harem Powertrips or China with their murder hobo edgelord drug-addicted cultivation MCs. /rant

Anyway, Solo Leveling should stay solo

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Solo Leveling feels a lot like a chinese plot production. The only reason I even read the manhwa is because art is nice and women thicc. If it was pure text novel, I would just give it a quick glance and not bother.

Dropped it after mr Sung went back to the same dungeon that fucked him up and fucked up the Statue of God.

FYI kudos to the anime team for making Statue of God proper.

SailusGebel

:blob_hmm: I don't think I saw a hot take, here. People mostly mention the same things, so I will make one. Although the art of webtoon is really good, the actual designs of characters fucking sucks. Extremely bland, very generic.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
:blob_hmm: I don't think I saw a hot take, here. People mostly mention the same things, so I will make one. Although the art of webtoon is really good, the actual designs of characters fucking sucks. Extremely bland, very generic.
like most manhwa to be honest

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Which character design would you said it's the top? We can say any bad thing about bleach, but in my opinion, Tite Kubo has one of the best character design if not the best.

SailusGebel

Which character design would you said it's the top? We can say any bad thing about bleach, but in my opinion, Tite Kubo has one of the best character design if not the best.
This is an easy answer. But you know what? Maybe people will disagree with me, but it's mostly because of the art, rather than actual designs. I would say Baki has good designs. Not the best, but really good. And it's comparable to Solo Leveling, in a sense that Baki does not have over the top designs, nor will you find million of unnecessary details. Character designs in Baki are very simple, and they are a lot better than in Solo Leveling. They are stylish, some characters can tell who they are with their looks alone, and so on.