Webnovel Contracts

LilTV1155

@greyblob
Have some :coffee:or🍵with a 🍩.
WebNovel is still great for extra publicity, and I didn't sign the contract, so I don't care. And if suddenly, I need to take my novel out of WebNovel, I can delete all the chapters and spam something like free Hong Kong or Taiwan rules.
Have a feeling that they can probably edit that part out of content.

🍵 here, you go sir. Thank you sir.

*Raise 🍩 to toast,
"Life's so fine.
My forest are on fire.
People are dying.
Doctors are fucking tired.
Life don't care about ordinary except for fortune stars.

For your enemies, send them a green hat prayer."
... I don't like where this is going. seems like something you'd hear before getting shot in the head and sacrificed to some evil god

BlackKnightX

What do you guys think of this & the whole Webnovel Contract thing?
Well, duh, it’s a business. Just like everything else, actually. Even if you approach it the traditional way—by that, I mean sending your novel to the publishing house—it would still be all about popularpity and making money, anyway.

It’s not like the authors don’t care about the art and their craft. No, I believe most of them do, but then again, it all comes down to making money because why not? Who doesn’t love money anyway?

From what you said, though: some hidden gems just rot to nothing. Well, I quite agree, actually. There are a lot of hidden gems out there, a high quality gems—ones with good plots, godly characters development, super awesome world building, and good pacing.

But then again, those gems don’t rot for nothing for nothing (sounds kinda weird, I know). The reason why I think those gems aren’t popular is quite simple, really—they lack the appeal. Yes, it’s as simple as that.

If you look at the popular novels—which you assume care more about quantity more than quality, which is kinda true—they are all very appealing and eye-catching, don’t you think? The cover, the title, the synopsis, the premise.

And almost all of them are fun as hell. It’s addictive. I mean, isn’t the main purpose of reading web novels to have fun and enjoy? Or maybe to escape from the real world?

Those popular stories deliver all that. It’s like drug. Highly addictive—the more you have it, the more bliss you’d feel.

Ever seen comments like these? — “Give me more!” “Moar!” “Can’t wait for the next chapter!” “Can’t wait for more!” “Oh please don’t drop. Keep feeding me!” “Daddy, that feels good~”

Ahem… forget the last one…

Anyway, see what I mean? It’s a drug, in a healthier way if you don’t ignore your usual routine.

Readers just don’t really want the story to end. They want to keep reading. They want to keep feeling the dopamine rush—other than in the story itself, you’ll also get some once you finish a chapter.

So, in a business point of view, what seems to be the most logical thing to do? Focus on quantity, obviously. More chapter = more doses for the addicts = more money for the author = a shit ton of money for the company.

Oh, right. You’re talking about Webnovel, right? Well, fuck that shit! If you’re not sure your story will be popular enough, don’t do it. Or if you want to, study the contract carefully.

Well, that’s it, my opinion.

Last edited:

PancakesWitch

I have contracted over six novels with Webnovel, all of them earn monthly money decently, just dont take a contract if you're not publishing chapters daily, you won't earn if you don't post daily, the entire business is about daily updates. It is definitely not a scam, and if you write what the audience desires, you'll make a lot of money quite quickly, but there is a big thing that is a bummer to most people, the exclusive contract, if you're not prepared to become an exclusive author, just dont take the contract and that's it, it is a business after all, not a charity that will give you money just for posting your novel there.
The thing I can say is that readers are constantyl changing and most of the moeny you make is out of new readers, which are constantyl declning or increasing based on features of your book in the page. However, most novels are bound to decline in popularity, readers, and money earned over months and years, so you cannot really eternally stay with the same income, but that could be said of anything, really, even amazon writer authors suffer declines in their sales over time and have to make new novels eventually. Don't be so childish, I know many young people here don't have money to afford even a piece of bread, but being a paid-per-chpater system doesnt make it inherently bad, it is just poeple wanting to earn money for what they work their asses for, I don't find it wrong nor I find them "greedy" (especially because i am one). We are just trying to live. Some cannot just make thousands in patreon so we choose webnovel and we live happily like this.

Agentt

Thighs
... I don't like where this is going. seems like something you'd hear before getting shot in the head and sacrificed to some evil god
Assuming you don't know the reference, that's actually pretty accurate

PancakesWitch

Can we make a dedicated forum section for questions about webnovel contracts? And one for finding the trending equation
The trending ranks are about the novels that make the most money, there is no equation, if you want to be popular, read the novels in the first ranks and see what they do and try to attempt it on your own style, it might or might not work. I often focus in many stories to evolve rapidly and develop my writing

VoxPopulist

I have a pending contract from Webnovel, and according to the support guy I talked to basically all they care about is popularity and 'potential popularity'. Basically, if your book is yet to be super popular, yet a staff member thinks it'll become popular, you'll get a contract offer. Don't sign it though, since they take your copyrights and publishing rights, but just an interesting second way to get a contract. It's a business, so at the end of the day all that matters is how many people your book will potentially reach and therefore how many people would pay for it.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
I was just talking with them in the chat & the reply was this. My novel is ranked #41 in scribble but thought why not try that shit & that happened.
Only #41 wow, sad, I’m #18+, damn grass beating me into the mud

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
I'm a little disappointed that no one saw the humor in the OP being named "thedefector" and coming from WN.