Weird Magic Systems

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
I just had a half an idea of a magic system. Specifically it's Imbuement of mana into materials/items/whatever. Every individual material has a different magical effect once imbued with mana. And that is the only way to use magic. Buuuut, with hundreds or thousands of distinct materials it'd still get pretty complicated. So, for instance, imbue iron for a hardening enchantment that applies to the armor/tool/weapon itself, or imbuing glass with it to make a low level Laser spell, wool gains a slight resistance to elemental effects, and so on. That simple system spark any WILD ideas for anyone?

Last edited:

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
In my new magic system people can only use magic if they have their hands on a door knob, and that door knob must be connected to a door, which must be connected to a structure. Because of this many people choose to build homes without doors, and must always sleep with one eye open. Only the most wealthy and elite are able to have doors for they can hire mercenaries known as door wizards to defend their homes with magic.

foxoftheasterisk

How fine grained are we getting here? Like, is wood all one effect, or does oak wood have a different effect than balsa wood, or does each individual oak tree produce slightly different effects based on where it grows and the chemical trace therefore within?

... now I'm imagining a horrible scenario where the hair of a particular race of humans has a highly desired magic effect and so they're farmed... not sure why my brain went there

Chaos_Sinner777

How fine grained are we getting here? Like, is wood all one effect, or does oak wood have a different effect than balsa wood, or does each individual oak tree produce slightly different effects based on where it grows and the chemical trace therefore within?

... now I'm imagining a horrible scenario where the hair of a particular race of humans has a highly desired magic effect and so they're farmed... not sure why my brain went there
I was thinking along the lines of different kinds of wood having different effects, but not so far as individual trees having different effects in the same species. Maybe something like that could mildly vary the extent of the effects in various ways, but not radically change the inherent power. And yeah, some race's hair having a good effect is weird enough idea that I like it.

TotallyHuman

In my new magic system people can only use magic if they have their hands on a door knob, and that door knob must be connected to a door, which must be connected to a structure. Because of this many people choose to build homes without doors, and must always sleep with one eye open. Only the most wealthy and elite are able to have doors for they can hire mercenaries known as door wizards to defend their homes with magic.
That's actually really cool

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I just had a half an idea of a magic system. Specifically it's Imbuement of mana into materials/items/whatever. Every individual material has a different magical effect once imbued with mana. And that is the only way to use magic. Buuuut, with hundreds or thousands of distinct materials it'd still get pretty complicated. So, for instance, imbue iron for a hardening enchantment that applies to the armor/tool/weapon itself, or imbuing glass with it to make a low level Laser spell, wool gains a slight resistance to elemental effects, and so on. That simple system spark any WILD ideas for anyone?
Your politics translate into your magic powers. And the closer to the truth you are, the stronger you are

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
My main story has 3 different magic systems that function differently. You have magic that anyone can us but few have figured out that uses math and physics to create magic formulas. There's magic that people are born with which takes power from the world around them and uses leylines along with the Fey which are the children of immortals who are children of the time god. Then there's god magic which is granted to a select few either at random or by the choice of a pantheon of six gods who were born of a single God that kind of disappeared for reasons that have yet to be shown.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
This is so clearly not a writing prompt. Writing prompt is not a slower-paced discussion section.

Chaos_Sinner777

This is so clearly not a writing prompt. Writing prompt is not a slower-paced discussion section.
Should I have put it under Discussions then? And, can I change that at this point? For that matter, now I'm wondering if my previous forum posts were in the appropriate threads. . .

Last edited:

Draconite

Exist in the void
There's this one novel where mages gain power from string theory, very cool concept.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Cotton gets imbued with a charm that teleports poo and pee to the community toilet so you never have to change your baby's diaper . . . or your own underwear for that matter.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Attachments

• 447603C1-D6A4-4456-B042-7A604AADD8F7.png
    447603C1-D6A4-4456-B042-7A604AADD8F7.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 26

Amok

grblbrbl
magic system where the only magic comes from beans. bean farmers everywhere, more than 4,000 varieties of beans growing wild/harrvested in all biomes across the world, and as a group wanders over continents their magic changes depending on the available supply. metabolism plays a role, and there are digestion caps-if you eat a lot, you might gain power over a long time but it won't be as potent as that of someone who eats less but more often. While not everyone eats beans, being wary of magic, those that do are easy identified because they are either very fat, or very sleek.

Nihilism

Every time someone lucid dreams they'll be able to reality warp unknowingly or knowingly.

the weirdest magic system that i know is browsing the internet by perpetually manipulating zero and one at breakneck speeds.

this is also quite weird. i personally spent more time killing my own characters than actually beating the enemies.

Last edited:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Magic is formed by memes.
Memes comes with six fundimental particles known as Monads

Up,Down are your standard Monads with it being more of a representation of the amount of energy, not spin direction.
Strange, Angelic, Demonic and Heavy are the other 4 monads.

Two up and a down makes for Yang type energy. Two down and an up makes for Yin energy. They are formed when beings with free will exercise their imaginations.

Strange is for Fae, Angelic and Demonic are obvious, but Heavy handles everyone else.

When you have two up and a X you get the form of energy known as an Experience Point. Two down and a X leads to 'magic' that is tied up in a physical object. These are your spell components and your herbs added to the making of magical items. Since these are often bought, sold, and traded, they are referred to as GP.

And Up and a Down plus X is the fundamental particle of the soul. What makes up the essence of that sort of entity.

You gain XP from murdering that which is not your own soul type.

A Soul has a certain strength that accumulates a certain amount of XP. When it reaches a certain capacity, you 'level up' as your soul transitioned to a greater state of being. Sort of like how a atom with more protons can have more electrons in its shell.

Yeah, I could go on for an hour about this.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I got two magic system ideas which I can share. Some of which I don't plan on giving since I'm not really into sharing my ideas much.

First would be Programming Magic Systems.

Its kinda easy to explain since magic comes from the power of binaries which are the origin of all magic.

To tap into magic, a person must have an aptitude to the multiple type of magic, namely different coding programs.

A person can easily tap into magic however the aptitude to use magic mainly depends on how you can access different kinds of magic tech. From how advance your thinking to how complex your magic coding skills work.

For normal people, they can easily tap into the [Text] magic which sounds simple as augmenting this magic is simply just commanding and empowering oneself through such magic.

Then, as you progress, you soon find out different magic uses such as [Ordering], [Align] and other magic coding skills which can be easily used however the more complex the magic code you make, the more powerful you are.

This could form multiple hierarchies in the system such as Security Code Magicians, Hackers and Virus Users, each having different Coding skill trees and other magic coding uses.

Another Magic System idea would be Mirror Magic Systems.

For a person, they have mana however, they can't tap magic and uses Mirrors to cast magic.

Kinda like jojo(summoning stands) but Mirror Magic users are capable of using magic depending on the quality of the mirror and how they use their mirror buddy.

If they duke it out with their mirror, they become physical magic users, capable of using physical enhancement on themselves or others.

Each magicians of that world aptitude mainly depends on their personality and how they interact with their mirror selves, supplementing them with their own use in their magic.

Money users would buy high quality stuff and uses money as a way of damage, healing or other things.

Gamers would seem op because they could level up but it only works on their mirror selves and not themselves. So even if you can earn money or items, its only your mirror that would get that benefits.

Healers to even powerful magicians, it depends on the mirror and your mirror self which can make you strong or weak.