What abbreviation do you frequently use?

OP1000

Hello!!!!
So is there an abbreviation that you like to use frequently when you are writing?

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
The only one that comes to mind is ASAP. Everything else feels weird in a book. (For me at least) oh yeah, and only weird If its not part of a dialogue to show how the cool kidz talk and try to have a conversation.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
No, they're old.
Oh, yeah, that'd do it.
Anyway, people use abbreviations alot more in recent times. The whole text message thing blowing up made them so prevalent people even use them in dialogue too.

You know those girls who speak in text?
"Oh snap GTG, TTYL~!"

Shit gets annoying

my favorite tho is this.

BIYDGYBAITHRN...!

Any other childhood trauma victims in the forums able to guess at that old nutshell?

D

Deleted member 54065

Oh, yeah, that'd do it.
Anyway, people use abbreviations alot more in recent times. The whole text message thing blowing up made them so prevalent people even use them in dialogue too.

You know those girls who speak in text?
"Oh snap GTG, TTYL~!"
Yeah, my stenography professor (an old lady that she was) would kill me for this.

Her dialogue would always be, "You're already spending money on text messaging, so why not type it whole and with right spelling?"

Then, she'd rant on how the current generation (us when we're college) have a penchant to write and type wrong because of SMS.

Depending on the context, I'd use them when it's commonplace.

It can work if I wrote them chatting via mobile app, the internet forums or even the world chat during survival games. Pretty much the regular ones ppl use. Maybe like lmao, lol, rofl, ftw, smh, and maybe learn some ascii emoticons like =3= as well.

Though for dialogues in real life and their internal monologue, I don't really remember using them.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Yeah, my stenography professor (an old lady that she was) would kill me for this.

Her dialogue would always be, "You're already spending money on text messaging, so why not type it whole and with right spelling?"

Then, she'd rant on how the current generation (us when we're college) have a penchant to write and type wrong because of SMS.
she's probably not wrong about that though, to be honest. Me and you are old enough to where cell phones weren't as common back when we were little, texting wasnt a big thing. But these days, there's kids who're growing up texting and using all these abbreviations.

I aint saying they dont know how to write properly, but that Prof is definitely right that they arent bothering to type out every letter or even every word.

Just a long string of "ETIG🦿GYT🌈TYY🍆🍪" Like what the fuck is that supposed to mean? Its literally random bullshit i made up but you get the point.

D

Deleted member 54065

she's probably not wrong about that though, to be honest. Me and you are old enough to where cell phones weren't as common back when we were little, texting wasnt a big thing. But these days, there's kids who're growing up texting and using all these abbreviations.
Ah, I think cell phones are common (at least here) back in my college years (2005-2009) since I can still remember a survey back then putting the Philippines in the top spot for its proliferation (I just can't remember if it's just in Asia, Southeast Asia or global).
I aint saying they dont know how to write properly, but that Prof is definitely right that they arent bothering to type out every letter or even every word.
Totally agree with you.

Just a long string of "ETIG🦿GYT🌈TYY🍆🍪" Like what the fuck is that supposed to mean? Its literally random bullshit i made up but you get the point.
Truly does. You'd be surprised some of those might actually have a meaning. 😂

Eh, I correct my students every time they use abbreviations in their essays, telling them the exact thing my profs taught me.

It may piss them off for now, but they'll thank me later. And even if they don't, at least they learned what's right.

Last edited by a moderator: