What does it take to keep a reader engaged to your story?

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
I've been reading a lot of great novels here and some novels really have readers that can complete a whole novel in one sitting while some have readers that are stuck in 1/latest chapter here in the statistics.

SailusGebel

It's quite simple. You need to dish out one chapter a day of a novel that is a system+reincarnation into an "insert popular fandom". Also, be sure to ask for lots of favourites\comments to have a higher chance to get into trending. That way, people will be engaged to your story. By the way, this is a joke, no offense meant.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Wow, I didn't notice there was a status on what chapter readers are in. That's interesting insight.

As for your query, considering that I'm writing a dumb story currently that is full of shoddy syntax, very loose grammar, and maybe a few typos, yet has 8k views, 300+ readers, and the first to latest chapter ration of the 15 recent readers is 5 to 10, I'd say the story just has to be good. Very vague, I know, but that's really it. That first chapter has to be good enough to convince them to check out the next. Pretty much, my story is nothing but debauchery, but I feel the unique premise and the very straightforward writing style that only has information I feel is important to the narrative, even with the issues I mentioned earlier, has led to many to actually check out the darn thing. A good story and a premise that intrigues them will make readers want more.

That's really it. The only job you need to do is to write a good story and let them know what the story is about. Or you could do what Sailus just mentioned.

It's quite simple. You need to dish out one chapter a day of a novel that is a system+reincarnation into an "insert popular fandom". Also, be sure to ask for lots of favourites\comments to have a higher chance to get into trending. That way, people will be engaged to your story. By the way, this is a joke, no offense meant.

Joke or not, this isn't too far off. There's a reason why YouTube videos start and end with "Please subscribe if you haven't". It seems to work but only on the people who are already engaged. When you tell your readers to follow and stuff like that, you are actually reminding those who are engaged to do so. If you don't like the story, even if you tell them to follow along, they won't. They're not engaged. At least that's from what I can get out of it.

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
Most of those that have 1/latest chapters aren't actually readers
Any time someone puts the story on a reading list, which could be a "read later" or "dropped" list, it will mark it at 1/latest chapter
I see. So, that's what it is.

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
I think a lot of people also don't always mark the chapters they've read. Lol. I have a few that are binge readers and will not read until a full volume is complete. I also forget to bookmark on this site as well when I read something.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I've been reading a lot of great novels here and some novels really have readers that can complete a whole novel in one sitting while some have readers that are stuck in 1/latest chapter here in the statistics.
Readers like to be abused so every chapter you gotta include an author note where you treat them like a whore. Just go, *slap dat pussy* yeah you like that, dont you? Filthy sluts. Alright imma go fuck off for a week, be here when I get back or no pimp stick for you"

SailusGebel

I guess I will give a somewhat serious opinion as well. I agree that the story must be good. To keep your readers engaged (in the meaning of reading every single chapter) the story must be good. It must be interesting, well written, and blah-blah. You can define the meaning of a good story by yourself.

But there are another few things you should master. First of all, cliffhangers. You are writing a web novel. The ending of each chapter must entice the readers, make them want to read your next chapter. If there are too many cliffhangers, it will suck. If they are written badly it will suck. Writing a good cliffhanger is a skill of its own.

Secondly, you should make a strict schedule. It doesn't matter what happens to you IRL most readers won't wait for you. You should adhere to a strict schedule. That way, readers will get used to reading your novel.

And lastly is the length of each chapter. You should find a perfect balance. What I mean here, the chapters PROBABLY should be longer than 1.5 thousand words, but PROBABLY, less than 4 thousand words. It is somewhat connected to the schedule because you should arguably release more than one chapter, two-three chapters are the ideal amount. Too much, and you will tire the readers, too little, and they will get impatient\bored.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I honestly don't think there is much of a secret aside from making a good story.

Getting your readers to give your story a try needs a lot of things. A good cover/synopsis/title/tags/genre all contribute to getting readers. Advertising to some extent can also help and whatnot.

But uhn... Keeping them? Why don't we think about the opposite end of the spectrum? What makes a reader drop a novel? I'm sure we can think of many things, I'll list some things that I have seen and some things that I have felt myself:
  • Story updates too slowly and the reader got tired of waiting;
  • Story updates too quickly and the reader got overwhelmed;
  • Chapters are too long and are hard to read in one sitting;
  • Chapters are too short and it feels like nothing happens on them;
  • Story is too fast paced and there is no time for the characters to develop;
  • Story is too slow paced and the plot never goes anywhere;
  • There is too much action and too many highs all the time, never letting the reader have any breather;
  • Story feels to plain because nothing particularly exciting ever happens;
  • Too much exposition made it tedious;
  • Too little exposition made it feel confusing;
  • Too many cliffhangers made it feel like no chapter ever finished anything;
  • The reader wasn't very excited for the next chapters because they found a good stopping point, so they figured they'd take a break and stock up chapters... And then never got back to the story once that happened;
  • "I got bored of it."
All those and many others can get a reader to drop your novel... And even if you are somehow able to avoid all the checkmarks that can make someone drop your story, you can never guarantee that you will avoid the "I got bored of it." checkmark, because that one is completely out of your control.

So uhn... Honestly? Best advice I can give is... "Git gud noob", as silly as it sounds. Just keep writing, and keep making the story the best you can. You'll never be able to please everyone, but you'll have your readers that actively care for your story. Keep writing and you'll keep the ones that liked it... The ones that disliked it will either plow through because they feel like it, or they'll drop it at some point~

I really don't think you should worry too much about what to do in order to keep your readers reading. Just assume that some readers will read and some will drop. If your story has quality, chances are that you'll have a good amount of readers that will stick until the end.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It's about whether the author is writing a story that excites the author or if the author is just writing for the sake of writing, wandering aimlessly trying to "get gud" but not really enjoying the process.

SootShade

Pacing.

I think that's really what it comes down to, especially with web novels. Whether it's getting people to read every release as they come, or to read a whole novel in one go, instead of getting distracted by all the others on offer, I think that's the most important quality. I think it largely covers the points on AliceShiki's comprehensive list, and can indeed be considered the art of avoiding such pitfalls.

As a reader, I personally will engage in a story when I'm able to relate to the main character and the situations they experience.

I like it if the characters feel more like an actual person, than a plot device and the characters write their own story. I like it when it feels like reading someone else's life rather than something to force down 'entertainment'.

The other thing is the premise. It doesn't need to be unique, even giving the cliche summoned to another world with a twist is fine.

I feel it's not about writing a good story, but not screwing up like anyone else.

I don't want the MC to act stupid or be forced into stupid situations just to make the plot interesting, like actually sparing hidden dangers that came to bite them in the ass later or making the MC commit such a cliche and retarded mistake. They don't have to be a genius, I just want them to act like a normal human being, for goodness sake!

So yeah, I guess it's not about trying to write the best you could, but to know your limits. If you're not comfortable with it, you don't have to write it.

Kitsura

Nah fam you right. Can confirm

MarekSusicky

Nah, I'm not. Because I forgot to add that isekai gender bender GL harem novels keep readers engaged as well. :blob_hmm: This is also a joke by the way.
You inspired me now. Old man Tim was hit by a truck and got reincarnated into a world, where magic was running supreme. But there was a catch - he was in a body of a young girl, although he had a system help and a cheat in form of the more girls loved her, the more powerful she was.
---
Too bad I can't write fast enough.

SailusGebel

You inspired me now. Old man Tim was hit by a truck and got reincarnated into a world, where magic was running supreme. But there was a catch - he was in a body of a young girl, although he had a system help and a cheat in form of the more girls loved her, the more powerful she was.
---
Too bad I can't write fast enough.
I can tweak your idea a bit as a sign of goodwill.

Old man Tim was living his life but suddenly got hit by a truck. An evil goddess decides to reincarnate him in the world of Naruto as a girl WITHOUT any system or cheat. Yet he dies there as well, and a GOOD goddess reincarnates now-girl-Tim into the world of MHA(Bleach, other anime fandoms, DC, Marvel) and grants him the system. The more girls he seduces and has sex with, the more powerful he(a she-Tim) will get. With a desire to get revenge on an evil goddess(to have sex with her), he(she) decides to develop the system so that Tim will be able to jump across different universes(fandoms).

Take it while it's still hot. And don't forget a comedic\parody undertone.

MarekSusicky

Woah, this story is so good! Poor 'ol Tim turned sex-beast. Maybe I would add everytime he cracks a joke his power increases even more and if s/he can make evil goddess laugh, s/he will steal her powers. I think this will a new hit like fifty shades of pink.

Derin_Edala

People overlook the importance a strong voice a lot. Pacing, plot and character are important for a quality story, but people will forgive a lot of garbage in something that's just plain entertaining to read. Douglas Adams isn't remembered because of his playfully chaotic plots, he's remembered because he used lines like "The ships hung in the sky much in the same way that bricks don't". Similarly, the first half or so of discworld would read like generic fantasy fluff if Pratchett hadn't been such a master of wordplay. And many a Deep Important Story with Awesome Characters and a Genius Plot has died in obscurity because the actual sentence-to-sentence writing was just boring.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
People overlook the importance a strong voice a lot. Pacing, plot and character are important for a quality story, but people will forgive a lot of garbage in something that's just plain entertaining to read. Douglas Adams isn't remembered because of his playfully chaotic plots, he's remembered because he used lines like "The ships hung in the sky much in the same way that bricks don't". Similarly, the first half or so of discworld would read like generic fantasy fluff if Pratchett hadn't been such a master of wordplay. And many a Deep Important Story with Awesome Characters and a Genius Plot has died in obscurity because the actual sentence-to-sentence writing was just boring.
Everyone kinda expects a good narrative to be delivered with good wording.

It doesn't need to have weird fun analogies like the one you quoted, but it needs to flow well.

... That's just a part of "good writing" in general tbh, which is why nobody mentions it in specific.