What's your Magic Systems

RinThao

In my story, it has a bit of a lore. First, the characters use reiki as their resource in order to cast Skill. Reiki is the life force that exist in all lifeforms and non lifeforms, and when one learns to manifest in themselves, miracles such as Skill are created. Then there's this thing called the Skill Rules which was created by one of the major characters in my series. She made it to prevent the destruction of the world, so everyone in this world has to follow the rules. Currently, in the series, the rules are still in its baby stage, and she's still figuring out how to make it more eco-friendly and playful because there are those who find loop hole in the Skill Rules and abuse it to their advantage.

Some of the Skill Rules are simple:
1. All Skills must be named, and it must be invoked in order for it to be used. Invoking it also makes the Skill become stronger, and explaining what the Skill does, makes the Skill even stronger.

2. If a user plans to use a destructive Skill, he or she must create a Six-Sided Dimension first. A Six-Sided Dimension (think of it as a Domain Expansion from JJK) is a spatial dimension that transports both the user and the user's foe and acts like a sponge to absorb the user's powerful Skill. This was created to prevent the destruction of the world.

3. The Kamiyama Shrine Maiden (she's the one who created the Skill Rules) can only use up to 5% of her powers against her foes. This was created to prevent herself from destroying the world too, and it was also created to give others the chance to beat her since she's one of the strongest character in my series.

4. Gods and beings of higher dimensional existences lose their godhood. Basically, everyone is equal regardless of their existence.

There are many more, but like I said, it's still in its baby stage, and there are those who abuse the loopholes behind the Skill Rules. The Skill Rules acts sorta similar to a Devil's Contract, where the rules must be followed, and if a user disobeys the rules, they get punished.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
That is leaning too hard on hard magic.
I needed to find a way to explain how teleportation and time travel worked without actually having to sit down and write detailed mathematical equations on linear and non-linear dimensional travel. I don't want to have to explain it in the book so I threw out some references to related material and called it a day. A hard magic system, written like a soft magic system

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
1000001440.jpg

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I needed to find a way to explain how teleportation and time travel worked without actually having to sit down and write detailed mathematical equations on linear and non-linear dimensional travel. I don't want to have to explain it in the book so I threw out some references to related material and called it a day. A hard magic system, written like a soft magic system
Yeah... authors especially the chinese did the same. I always just skimmed through because no matter how smart you make it sound, I still want to see the actual effect in the work.

Also, it helps alot that I don't understand the jargon because I don't question it, but there are asshole readers out there will grill the author for putting in the scientific principle.

I have seen authors putting a disclaimer saying "it sounds cool, I don't know it deeply, SHUT UP AND DON'T HARASS ME!"

Rhaps

Jedi Fae
The World Language is the main source of all Magic on Earth. There are two ways to use the World Language

-The Heavenly Edict - Communicate with the world with your voice, requesting it to enact your intention. There is no need to speak in ancient tone, nor lengthy chants, just request and the World will do the work.

Example: "Flame, burn my enemy" - flame will appear in front and burn everything in that general direction, stopping at some point.

To use the Heavenly Edict, you have to own the Favor of the World. Usually every one person out of 300 millions will have this Favor, but the World make no effort of communicating that fact.

As a result, it isn't widely use.

-The Earthly Edict - Carving out Runes, using the written form of the World Language to force the World performs those spells. There are three widely known versions, Norse Rune, Celtic Runes, and Ancient Hebrew.

Example: by carving out the Runes for Fire, a fire will be greated, depending on which Runes are added, the size and power can be control.

There is only one restriction to using the Earthly Edict, you have to carve out the Runes perfectly without a mistake. And you can't just have a font to write the Runes, someone tried it and their computer exploded.

=0=0=

Then there is the least used Spirit Edict, which as the name stated, uses spiritual power, or life force of the user to create an effect similar to the World Language.

Ninjutsu is a form of Spirit Edict, the reason why most ninja die young Is due to overusing and exhausting their life force.

Talisman stores the life force of the drawer, making Talisman Calligrapher one of the most dangerous job. Also, the Talismans are all single-use so it's not worth putting the effort in.

=0=0=

And finally, the Eldritch Magic. This category comprised of anything weird by the prescence of the Outer Gods.

They cannot be categorize normally as each Outer God carry a completely alien Magic concept. (My random bullshit go! card)

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
The World Language is the main source of all Magic on Earth. There are two ways to use the World Language

-The Heavenly Edict - Communicate with the world with your voice, requesting it to enact your intention. There is no need to speak in ancient tone, nor lengthy chants, just request and the World will do the work.

Example: "Flame, burn my enemy" - flame will appear in front and burn everything in that general direction, stopping at some point.

To use the Heavenly Edict, you have to own the Favor of the World. Usually every one person out of 300 millions will have this Favor, but the World make no effort of communicating that fact.

As a result, it isn't widely use.

-The Earthly Edict - Carving out Runes, using the written form of the World Language to force the World performs those spells. There are three widely known versions, Norse Rune, Celtic Runes, and Ancient Hebrew.

Example: by carving out the Runes for Fire, a fire will be greated, depending on which Runes are added, the size and power can be control.

There is only one restriction to using the Earthly Edict, you have to carve out the Runes perfectly without a mistake. And you can't just have a font to write the Runes, someone tried it and their computer exploded.

=0=0=

Then there is the least used Spirit Edict, which as the name stated, uses spiritual power, or life force of the user to create an effect similar to the World Language.

Ninjutsu is a form of Spirit Edict, the reason why most ninja die young Is due to overusing and exhausting their life force.

Talisman stores the life force of the drawer, making Talisman Calligrapher one of the most dangerous job. Also, the Talismans are all single-use so it's not worth putting the effort in.

=0=0=

And finally, the Eldritch Magic. This category comprised of anything weird by the prescence of the Outer Gods.

They cannot be categorize normally as each Outer God carry a completely alien Magic concept. (My random bullshit go! card)
My OCD is popping with no Humanly Edict.

And no, Random Bullshit Go! is not the third Edict. No it is not, I missed Spirit Edict.

So Power Word, Scribbles and Casting from HP.

Plantorsomething

I'm having trouble creating a magic system and the logic behind it, as a result, I was curious about what other people did to create and flesh out their magic system.
People who have the will to actively work towards an extremely difficult goal or goals generate so much magic brain juice that it attracts extradimensional alien symbioted to latch onto them, giving them superpowers, with power directly correlated to plot importance and character growth

Succubiome

Magic

In "I Was A Hero In Another World But My Dog-Girl Slave Swapped Places With Me And Now I Can’t Disobey Her", Magic is done via extruding three-dimensional symbols. The larger the shape, the more mana it takes to construct, and the larger the effect. These effects can also be constructed out of physical material, but requires very precise construction, and can cause wear and tear on the physical material.

Learning a magic spell or two isn't too hard, but since you have to keep the precise shape in your mind, similarly-shaped spells are easy to confuse, particularly if you want to do them quickly, so most people who use magic focus on learning a few spells really well, rather than a ton of spells, because miscasting a spell can be really bad.

The first spells were inspired by a goddess before humanity killed the gods, and originally thought of as more of a prayer/religious thing than a practical thing. Most summoned people from other worlds have better quality mana pools, so they've come to be controlled via the human tradition of slavery, collars that suppress their magic, and limiting their knowledge of magic.

Potentially Magic-Adjacent Skills

Sorcery
Magical symbols granted seemingly at random that usually isn't teachable to others. It is thought by some that repeatedly casting Null -- the common and basic anti-magic symbol which destroys constructed mana -- increases the chances of gaining this random magic infinitesimally. One can also get randomly inspired with symbols that are teachable, but this wouldn't generally be called Sorcery, at least if others know it's teachable. This is very rare, by all accounts, and also very dangerous because the first time you cast a spell with a new symbol, there's no way you know what it does... you have to figure it out via trial and error.

Mind Magic
People's thoughts are imperfect little versions of these symbols which construct reality, and Mind Magic in thus horribly complex because of this, as it's basically messing with the symbols inside of people that compose of their thoughts. Most people who learn Mind Magic just learn how to read and implant certain useful symbols in people, rather than read all of them, but it's an absurdly powerful if you do know lots of magical symbols.

Mind Magic is fairly rare and thought of as extremely dangerous, mostly because having the ability to say, make someone happy means that you can make yourself happy, whenever you want, and that's like having opium within each reach-- and people knowing you have Mind Magic means they tend to not trust their thoughts/emotions about you. Despite this rarity, most nobility learn some methods to counter Mind Magic, because it is extremely potent against those who don't know how to defend against it and one noble being powerless against it can easily mean the fall of a noble house, depending. These methods vary by noble house.

Shadow Arts
A set of assassination-related abilities that the residents of the world consider mundane if specialized, but would seem like magical abilities in our world, like the ability to hide in plain sight.

Science and Psychology
The protagonist, who comes from Earth or an Earth-like world, not the local one, has some basic knowledge of these things, and has claimed they are another kind of magic of sorts. Since no one else living comes from their world, no one can usefully debate them on this one way or another. However, their basic knowledge of pop psychology is somewhat limited by the different culture of the locals, and they haven't really tried to do chemistry or anything to test out if science would work, so it's still up in the air how much of this is useful in this world.

Exorcism
The protagonist also remembers some basic methods to exorcise used back on their original world, which is not a thing on the fantasy world. This has not yet been tested on any ghosts or undead, however, so it's status as a usable technique, much less magic, is in question.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
I'm having trouble creating a magic system and the logic behind it, as a result, I was curious about what other people did to create and flesh out their magic system.
Uhhhhhhhhhhh…….
This is a fraction of a stories magic system from a year ago…

There are three fundamental substances that constitute all things: the Aether, Void, and Quintessence. A long time ago the three substances were separated yet created a whole. The Aether was above the Void and Quintessence, like a shell. It wanted to condense into a ball, but was restrained by the Quintessence. The Void was the core, it continually tried to expand, yet, it too was restrained. Quintessence was in the center inert in its movement. It bound the Aether and Void to itself while keeping them separated from each other. The Void continually tried to expand, and the Aether tried to condense. This caused the Quintessence to experience immense pressure, which caused the Quintessence to merge with itself, creating Souls. The Souls, like bacteria, could and would move freely within the Quintessence. They first reached the Void, when the Souls tried to move into it they were slowly dissipated into Quintessence. Next the Souls reached the Aether. When they moved into it the Souls began to crystallize, unable to move themselves. Gradually the Souls began to avoid the Void and Aether. Even so, eventually the crystallized Souls created a wall that was impassible to the other Souls. The souls began to bind to and absorb each other. This caused them to mutate randomly. Eventually, a crystallized Soul was brought to the Void. Catalyzed by the meeting of Void and Aether, the crystallized soul began to transform.

Aether:
Condense
Crystallize

Void:
Expand
Dissipates

Quintessence:
Bind
Inert
Transform

Soul:
Bind
Perceive
Move
Transfer
Store
Mutate
Living

Basic Ritual for the creation of a coerced contract and seal for astral and ethereal entities.

Required:
The name of the form of the target written on paper. (i.e. an Ice Spirit of a frost plane.) The more specific the better.
Knowledge on how to strip/infuse your soul into objects.
Shaping material (Materials like string, clay, wire, etc.)
A sensory organ of a living creature (Eye, tongue, whiskers, etc.)
A jar of your blood, or yellow bile. The jar must be able to contain the sensory organ as well.
An object representing the body/Æther, like salt.
An object representing the soul/quintessence, like mercury.
An object representing the mind/void, like sulfur.
A piece of quartz or quartzite with a weight of ~2 pounds, or 1 kilogram. This will represent earth.
A lit kerosene lamp with an exposed flame.
Copper wire or filament.
Scissors (optional)
A brush (optional)
Blindfold (optional)

Soak the sensory organ in the jar of blood or bile for a lunar month. Make sure that the blood/bile stays liquid throughout the soaking process.
Before the ritual, mark the quartz/quartzite with the alchemical symbol of earth using your blood.
Before the ritual, mark the kerosene lamp with the alchemical symbol of fire using your blood.
Before the ritual make sure that the copper wire is touching the flame of the kerosene lamp, and that the flame is green.

Ritual:
  1. Strip/infuse a piece of your soul into a malleable object like string.
  2. Use the object to create a perimeter. This perimeter will be used to encompass all ritual materials, the entrapment area, and the target for contract. Make sure that these can fit in your perimeter and that there are no gaps. For the basic alchemical rituals we will use either a triangle or a circle for the outer perimeter in this ritual. Triangles are very sturdy, but they are inefficient for the purpose of maximizing area and minimizing perimeter. The circle however is the best at maximizing area and minimizing perimeter, but it has the least stability making it easier to destroy by the target entity.
  3. Enclose a perimeter inside the original one, there can be no gaps. The perimeter must be large enough to contain the target. If the outer perimeter is a triangle use a circle and vice versa, this is to ensure stability. (There are cases in intermediate and advanced rituals that will use two or more triangles, but remember never to use circles concurrently in containment rituals.) If you are attempting to contract a planer will, or something similar, this ritual will not work for you unless you can contain the entire said plane inside the area. Make sure that the sides of both perimeters touch and are connected. If you are using string, or something similar, make sure to tie the places of contact together. This will allow the striped/infused soul in the strings to transfer the energies of the ritual materials, as well as supporting and unifying the two containment perimeters due to the sympathetic principle.
  4. There should now be three independent areas in between the outer and inner perimeter. You should place your Aether, Void, and Quintessence materials in these sections.
  5. Then enclose them with a square using your soul split/infused materials. If needed, use that material to create a line connected to the outer perimeter, if needed tie the material to the perimeter.
  6. Place the quartz/quartzite and kerosene lamp with the attached copper wire/filament in the center of the inner perimeter.
  7. Enclose the two objects in a circle/square, depending on the shape of the inner perimeter, using the split/infused material and use a line to connect them. The center of the inner perimeter must be the center of that line, with an error of margin of 6 millimeters.
  8. Encase/wrap the sensory organ in the split/infused material and use that material to connect both you and the outer perimeter. (I.E. a string tied to your finger is tied and knotted to an eyeball, that you can hold in your hand, and tied and knotted to the outer perimeter)
  9. Place the written description of the target on the flame of the kerosene lamp. Making sure not to disturb the placement of anything.
  10. Exit the inner and outer perimeter before the written description burns.
  11. The flame of the kerosene lamp should change color, and the target should appear above the flame of the kerosene lamp.
  12. You should be able to feel connected to the target and the ritual objects.
  13. Use the sensory organ to perceive the true name/form of the target.
  14. Say/describe that name/form and threaten to give that name/form to one of the target's enemies, a god of death, or something more generally frightening, if the target does not swear on their true name/form to agree to a contract to you.
  15. If the target agrees, create an oral contract and the target will repeat after you and swear to follow that contract by their true name/form. The target will then be tethered to the quartz/quartzite. You can crush it to return the target early. When the contract is completed the quartz/quartzite will naturally break and the target will return back to where it came from.
  16. If they refuse, connect the target to the Void material. The material should light with green ethereal flames. The void essence in that material will begin to attempt to dissolve the target. Call out to the target and attempt to repeat step 14 & 15.
  17. If this doesn’t work, connect to the Aether material and repeat step 16.
  18. If this doesn’t work connect to the Quintessence material and repeat step 16.
  19. If this doesn’t work, disconnect yourself from the outer perimeter. If you used string as your split/infused material use scissors to cut it. Make sure however not to disturb the outer perimeter. The quartz/quartzite will break and the target will return.
  20. If the target escapes confinement, destroy the sensory organ or be prepared to confront the target in a battle for your body. If you fail they will posses your body, and your soul will probably die.

Planes

A plane is a space created by the balancing of Aether, quintessence, and void. They have a planer shell primarily made of Aether. An internal space primarily made of void, and worlds primarily made of quintessence. All of this is tied together by planar energy.

Ghosts and spirits

Ghosts and spirits are formed when people & animals die. Unlike normal souls that are dissipated by planar radiation, these creatures find a way to avoid it. There are two typical ways ghosts and spirits do this.

1. They attach to an object/land and use it as a substitute for a body.
  2. The person's soul was strong enough to resist planar radiation until they could find an area shielded from it.
Objects possessed by a ghost and/or spirit will each have their own unique properties. These properties are decided by the environment, the strength of the soul(s), the amount of souls, how the object relates to the dead, the properties of the object, how the object was formed, any potential magic rituals or ceremonies performed with and/or on the object, and the regrets/wishes of the possessing soul(s).

I have more in the very last link in my signature, as well in different stories.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Yeah... authors especially the chinese did the same. I always just skimmed through because no matter how smart you make it sound, I still want to see the actual effect in the work.

Also, it helps alot that I don't understand the jargon because I don't question it, but there are asshole readers out there will grill the author for putting in the scientific principle.

I have seen authors putting a disclaimer saying "it sounds cool, I don't know it deeply, SHUT UP AND DON'T HARASS ME!"
Yeah, I did a fair amount of research into each ability so the jargon is fairly accurate to modern theories. I did take some creative liberties because it's my magic system, I do what I want. Plus, magic is mainly just unexplained science so it works well. Runic magic is basically coding and computer system assembly. Artificers are basically engineers and inventors. Witches are just medicine makers and chemists. etc. etc.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
To summarize; Magic is applied mana, mana is emotion.

Raw emotion (which comes from the Heart) without control causes a Tantrum, which is just not fun.

Magic that uses the Body as a catalyst is Sorcery.

Magic that uses the Mind as a catalyst is Wizardry.

Magic that uses the Spirit as a catalyst is Thaumaturgy.

Magic can be cast using multiple catalysts, with little issue. It can also be reversed, though I haven't thought that all the way through yet.