Why Cultivation xianxia MC tends to avoid women like plague ?

ACertainPassingUser

I just don't understand their core reasoning behind that, or how they even got the thought in first place.

And even their main idea of "avoiding women" didn't even have proper plan or clear reasoning behind it, i.e politic rival, bad personality, etc.

Not to mention they almost never talk properly to those women, or at least having proper measure against them.

And even then, they barely have good relationship with other males like friends, partner, or subordinate.

Last edited:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Then again...

may be its the new trend, I haven't properly read a xianxia for the last 5 years
My question is, what novels did OP read, because from the things that I had gone through, MC having a decent people relationship is a plus or even necessity.

Sure, there are times where MC might choose to forgo intimate relationship with female, but rarely do they (from my bookmarks) avoid women like plague.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
This is why:
  • Bad writing
  • Bad translation
  • Cultural difference
  • Bad translation + bad writing
  • Bad translation + bad writing + cultural differences
  • Bad ideas for a story + one of the above
  • Pleasing a crowd to rake in the daily word count for money
  • AI written
  • All the above at once

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
I just don't understand their core reasoning behind that, or how they even got the thought in first place.

And even their main idea of "avoiding women" didn't even have proper plan or clear reasoning behind it, i.e politic rival, bad personality, etc.

Not to mention they almost never talk properly to those women, or at least having proper measure against them.

And even then, they also barely have good relationship with other males like friends, partner, or subordinate.
I don't know what you're talking about, but if I had to guess, it's probably a poor attempt at distancing themselves from the "harem" trope. They want us to see how cool the MCs are for not caring about Women.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I thought it was due to a blend of poor writing, rough translations, and Chinese culture not having much respect for woman. Though I may be wrong so don't quote me on it.

ioriangel

Lol that's clearly bad writing and trying to please people. Cultivation is unfortunately all about connecting to other people to have more resources or obtain services. Avoiding women as a male mc? Unless you're gay it's impossible.

Some old ancestor might want to connect with the MC through marriage with one of his or her descendant. it's sad to see that some westerners don't get the culture of nepotism Asian people have.

ACertainPassingUser

Well, calling it cas the whole cultivation xianxia genre is a bit stretch.

These days I simply read too much shit chinese clone cultivation manhua with bad writing, bad drawing, and even worse MTL scanslation.

Reading novels is a bit boring these days, so i read manhua adaptation to make it easier. Kinda regret that I read the bad ones due to the "niche-bait" premise that they usually fail to deliver.

I realized that the lack of explanation and context is something I can't tolerate even when I'm turning off my brain.

Last edited:

Tempokai

Overworked One
Bad writing, bad translation, bad timeskips.

But, if you see it through the taoist lens (not CCP taosim, aka modern xianxia), it's all about achieving inner peace and balance first, before going to flirting women. By having inner peace, you can avoid tsundere, yandere, NTR, etc., etc. by simply not being a simp, aka not having romance through the external validation, but rather trough true love (which is very rare).

Last edited:

AVL

Typically in a xianxia setting, if it's the average mc, they do it because... the author is so cripplingly bad at writing characters that they think" ignoring=" No man has ever ignored me before?! I must get into the core of the issue, who is mc?!" is a very good way of writing a female character.

But I haven't seen a novel like what you're stating, sure there's novels where there is an alarmingly low amount of female characters, but never "ignored" entirely.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It's because we are mammals, and many of us are too busy dispensing milk for our offspring.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Simple: Im not EXP Sharing my cultivation points with anyone.

(okay maybe that's more isekai but shh)

Draconite

Exist in the void
I read a couple of the new xianxia and the MC didn't avoid women like plague they just weren't really interested with them except if they're rich and beautiful.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Because all women are evil. Evil harpies who want to suck the money and life out of men, then toss them aside as soon as something better comes along. Except for my wife, who is a living saint made of nothing but pure goodness and light and I will f'in cut you if you say otherwise. What is that, dear? No. I would never think of writing a romance because that would imply I had romantic thoughts that did not involve you, the sunshine of my life and reason for living.