Why grammarly hate "really" so much?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
most grammar and spelling programs are set to check formal documents by default

you don't write such expressions in job applications or project reports

but iirc you can set the purpose of your writing to creative writing so that grammarly won't underline everything red

LORD_SHAXX

please stop changing my spelling from British to American
it colour not color
realised not realized
civilisations not civilizations
1651405906474.png

Mandark

Because 90% of the time using “really, actually, honestly” is how people talk, but doesn’t convey a clear message in written format.

I guess the reason those programs do it is because the tendency for people to skip over long passages of text. If you’re writing some formal letter, you do not want there to be many adverbs or adjectives cluttering it up.

Temple

Is it really wrong to use really, actually, honestly, etc?
Just ignore that prompt if your narrator uses really a lot. Grammarly normally hates adverbs like really, actually, those sort of stuff. Its main goal is to cut out unnecessary words. Like "future plans", it'll cut out future. Or "my own...", usually, it'll cut out own.
There's a setting for this, lol. Just set it to British English.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
it colour not color
realised not realized
civilisations not civilizations
View attachment 13752
I'm American but I grew up having to use a British dictionary so I use it when I write. I have the same problem with Grammarly trying to fix it. You can change that in the settings though. I switched mine from American English to British English.

LORD_SHAXX

I'm American but I grew up having to use a British dictionary so I use it when I write. I have the same problem with Grammarly trying to fix it. You can change that in the settings though. I switched mine from American English to British English.
I've done this but its still trying to change it to american

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Grammarly is made for writing essays and emails and such primarily. That's what all the ads for it market it as a tool for. When writing an essay it's not always the best to have flowery language so I can see why it would flag it. Still annoying.

Amok

grblbrbl
back when i was editing and had to use gramgram it always wanted to change my 'old man' to 'older man' for sensitivity reasons and i was like fuck robot when someone is old af then u gotta tell it, 'older man' might denote anyone from 18-100 ffs

LillyanaKabal

Grammarly has some weird shit going on. I think it's got like, strict, explict Oxford like crap that just doesn't read properly.

BlackKnightX

Is it really wrong to use really, actually, honestly, etc? Or have I been using these words wrong?
It will kill your voice completely. Run-on sentences and filler words can be annoying if done without purpose and done too much, but it’s also part of the character’s voice, it’s how we speak in real life. So, I’d say if you want to use Grammarly, do take some cautions at each suggestion it gives you.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
I have a friend whose phone (20-odd years ago) wanted to literally change 'snowing' to 'ponying'. Honestly, we still haven't really found out what that actually means.