Do you write what you like to read? Or does it differ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45782

For example, not a fan of horror. I like fluff stories.
Some of my ideas aren't exactly 'fluff.'

What about you?

Last edited by a moderator:

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I can write what I like to read for sure, but considering the subject matter I'm interested in is age gap between an adult and a minor, I can't just write whatever I want. I have to consider what I can write and what to omit. It's a delicate balance between my vision and people's expectations.

Other times, I just write because of reader demand, like my current story, which is not something I normally write. It was just an experiment to collect analytical data, so I thought of the most ridiculous premise I could think of, a girl who could not go to the bathroom without her male best friend next to her. I was testing out to see if a ridiculous title and premise would get people to get click, and they did, and they loved it! I predicted 10 chapters before I quit, I'm now in chapter 74, and it's about bathroom problems, a subject I don't care for, but hey, I might as well keep going and see it to the end.

SailusGebel

50\50 for me. I do like what I write. If I didn't, I wouldn't start writing in the first place. Yet even though I like it, I add something in my novel that I dislike. Mostly because I try to think from a somewhat 'objective' perspective, and it ends up being the right\appropiate thing to add.

Plantorsomething

For example, not a fan of horror, but I like fluff stories.

What about you?
I like everything as long as it’s presented nicely, honestly.
I read a bunch of different stuff and steal what I like and play with what I think has more potential that was originally explored. You could say everything I ever read or watch or otherwise consume is a big amalgamated foundation for everything I try to write, and nothing is ever truly original. I think it’s impossible for me to ever write something with absolutely no influence from anything I ever read/watched.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I can write what I like to read for sure, but considering the subject matter I'm interested in is age gap between an adult and a minor, I can't just write whatever I want. I have to consider what I can write and what to omit. It's a delicate balance between my vision and people's expectations.

Other times, I just write because of reader demand, like my current story, which is not something I normally write. It was just an experiment to collect analytical data, so I thought of the most ridiculous premise I could think of, a girl who could not go to the bathroom without her male best friend next to her. I was testing out to see if a ridiculous title and premise would get people to get click, and they did, and they loved it! I predicted 10 chapters before I quit, I'm now in chapter 74, and it's about bathroom problems, a subject I don't care for, but hey, I might as well keep going and see it to the end.
Man that sounds like such a bad thing to do tho. Like, i cant write shit I dont enjoy. I dont give a fuck about reader expectations, personally.

I dont think authors should care, unless they are paid authors and it's their livelihood. Then they have to appeal to their readers, and appeal to as wife an audience as they can.
But I'm not like that so fuck the readers lol. I write what i enjoy writing, if they like it too then that's all well and good.

That said i dont think such an experiment is a bad thing. I just dont know where you think that will end? And why you continue to write it? Me, if it was something i didnt like I would drop it pretty quick once my experiment was done
50\50 for me. I do like what I write. If I didn't, I wouldn't start writing in the first place. Yet even though I like it, I add something in my novel that I dislike. Mostly because I try to think from a somewhat 'objective' perspective, and it ends up being the right\appropiate thing to add.
If it's to achieve something bigger I want to happen, yeah I would do that too.

I tend to be alright with most things tho. Even if I hate what a character of mine has to do, I would still enjoy the development itself and where it could lead.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I write what I like, but I don't necessarily like what I write.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Man that sounds like such a bad thing to do tho. Like, i cant write s**t I dont enjoy. I dont give a f**k about reader expectations, personally.

I dont think authors should care, unless they are paid authors and it's their livelihood. Then they have to appeal to their readers, and appeal to as wife an audience as they can.
But I'm not like that so f**k the readers lol. I write what i enjoy writing, if they like it too then that's all well and good.

That said i dont think such an experiment is a bad thing. I just dont know where you think that will end? And why you continue to write it? Me, if it was something i didnt like I would drop it pretty quick once my experiment was done

If I didn't enjoy it, I would definitely have stop, so you got the right idea. Yet strangely enough, even I got invested in the story, so I made a compromise. I would just write the parts that are important to the story, and avoid anything that is disgusting, or at least attempt. It did get so bad that I had to stop to and reevaluate what the heck I am doing and actually plan it out (I'm pantsing the heck out of the story), so what you said did end up happening. I definitely did not want to write anymore of that.

This story is still an experiment, still meant for data collecting, and since I'm learning so much, I might as well continue to use it as such. It will come to an end, but I'm going to do another story that panders to whatever is trending because it's actually worthwhile. And sometimes, well, we just want to write debauchery. Artistic passionate projects are good and should be encouraged, but sometimes you just want to muck around and get those reads. :sweat_smile:

JK-Sama

I'm writing what I would want to read despite there being a distinct lack of space operas that scratch the itch I'm looking for.

Last edited:

Slaynoir

I like getting genres that don't generally go together as a coherent work or dabbling in emotional situations that require deep thought. But my main genre I like is some what of a Fantasy/Action with a hint of horror and or Sci-Fi. I'm a little bit of everything. ^^;

InfantryTerminator

I write what I want to read, but there are always adjustments that needs to be made. It's next to impossible to convert 1:1 a movie in your head to book, especially if you went to be it something more than another silly self insert

i write since i can't really find that peculiar stuff i want to read and i'm too lazy to search further.

for the other stuff i like to read, i just read them because i found good stories of them.

though i don't write like i'm reading my favorite stuff either, it's more like stuff that i don't even know how it start or how it ends. it's just going with its own flow the entire time.

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
It's kind of a mix between writing things I like to read and writing things I'm just interested enough to take the effort to write, even if I don't exactly like it. It's more a question of how willing I am to sink the time into doing it, it just so happens things I like take less effort for me to plan and write.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
I tend to write what I like to read, especially when the the stuff I've read whets my curiosity to go further with it in my own writing.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
For example, not a fan of horror, but I like fluff stories.

What about you?
It's the opposite of Ai-chan. Ai-chan likes horror because it's the only way to terrify Ai-chan's dudette without terrifying Ai-chan as well. But gore, Ai-chan isn't really into it.

Ai-chan only writes what Ai-chan dreamed and what Ai-chan can imagine. If it's not imaginable, Ai-chan won't write it. That's why Ai-chan is horribly bad with writing prompts and competitions.

Necariin

I always enjoy what I write. Why write it otherwise? I write LitRPG, and I greatly enjoy both it and progression fantasy in general. Because I enjoy it, because I've consumed a lot of it, I know the tropes and the things readers like to see. This is because it's also what I like to see. And generally speaking, readers will be far more likely to get on board with a story if the author clearly knows and enjoys the genre.

Shoemilk

I'm writing what I would want to read despite there being a distinct lack of space operas that scratch the itch I'm looking for.
I really want to read a Firefly type story, about a group of people kind of flying around space doing their own thing, not really movers or shakers in the universe, just people existing in it. Everything I find though is Serenity though, where the fate and the TRUTH! rests in these scrappy little people's hands.

However, whenever I sit down to write, I write Fantasy.