If Your Story Was A Videogame, What Would Its Genre Be?

How Hard Would Your Game Be?

• Super Easy, like the Gameboy Pokemon TCG Game

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • As Easy as Digimon World 3

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Average, like Devil May Cry 3

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • As Hard as Dark Souls

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Disgustingly Hard like Lunatic Touhou

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I'd just allow the player to set the difficulty

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • My game doesn't fit into traditional difficulty notions

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
So... I saw a thread ( https://forum.scribblehub.com/threa...-what-would-be-your-loading-screen-tips.2062/ ) by @K5Rakitan talking about the loading tips of your story if i was a game, and I kinda realized that different people are giving tips that are very different in nature... In part it's because the stories are very different, obviously, but I figured that there was a different aspect to it.

As in... The people replying were imagining different genres for their novels in the first place. Which led to them making replies that were appropriate to the genre in question.

So... It led me to this thread! If your novel was a game, what would be its genre? I'm curious about your replies!

... That said, mine is probably the blandest one... My novel would be a Visual Novel in videogame form, you'd just be following the story's events, but with choices and different branching paths depending on what you did.

I mean, geez, I wrote a romance, alright? Sorry if there aren't many opportunities for varied gameplay in it! >.<

AKitsunex

Probably one where every night the McCain could dive into different games/books and live life as one of the characters and could choose to save and end the "dream" at certain check points

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I'm like a new player in a game with default inverted controls, left-hand weapons model and flick aiming. You can't adjust the bloom and motion blur is on 24/7.

Also you're in 1280x600 all the time.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
Based on that which I wrote on K5Karitan's thread, the unsuspecting vict- players would think it's an MMO until they realize that they have been immersed for a whole week while disconnected from the internet.

Reading the fine print reveals that although it's sort of free-to-play, the company makes a profit by temporarily siphoning net service from the players while they're playing.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Probably like a devil may cry storyline. Though, you would be OP as fck in the begining but you slowly lose your skills as the plot goes on. Its like you are max at the begining but slowly, you began to lose certain items and skills due to a plot.

It would even be a path based where each path you pick, would lose certain skills or items. Like, choosing a tricky platform jumping and removing the dash or picking the trap room where dash is heavily reliant but you would lose your double jump.

Because a certain story idea i had was about an OP MC which was given a trial to save the woman he loves by slowly sacrificing everything to save her.

As time goes on, you would slowly unravel the story of how the MC gain those skills and items which he took a long time but decided to forsake them to save her.

In the end, a new choice is given where you retrieve all of those things back or sacrifice them to save the girl.

If you choose the former, you would lose the girl and a new story where you begin to cruise into hell to save her with OP items but it was mostly to redeem yourself and die there in the deepest of hell.

On the latter, you would get the girl but a new story where you need new strong items to defeat a strong enemy which uses your old OP items. Though, the new items looks more futuristic and making the game more epic for the showdown between you and the enemy.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So... I saw a thread ( https://forum.scribblehub.com/threa...-what-would-be-your-loading-screen-tips.2062/ ) by @K5Rakitan talking about the loading tips of your story if i was a game, and I kinda realized that different people are giving tips that are very different in nature... In part it's because the stories are very different, obviously, but I figured that there was a different aspect to it.

As in... The people replying were imagining different genres for their novels in the first place. Which led to them making replies that were appropriate to the genre in question.

So... It led me to this thread! If your novel was a game, what would be its genre? I'm curious about your replies!

... That said, mine is probably the blandest one... My novel would be a Visual Novel in videogame form, you'd just be following the story's events, but with choices and different branching paths depending on what you did.

I mean, geez, I wrote a romance, alright? Sorry if there aren't many opportunities for varied gameplay in it! >.<
Bruh my story would swerve between Gary Stu levels of easy, and black man in early america levels of hard.

Cuz the MC would be a naturally gifted OP piece of shit with everyone worsshipping his cock, but on the otherhand he would eventually have a whore of yandere Angels--yes, a group of Angels in my story is called a whore--tying him down and raping him. The fate of many a long schlonged black man in the early days of america

It would be an anime on crack game with memes, drugs, tree huggers, wanton death by purge and incest.

Mc's theme song would be Jump Around by Mahouse and it would play each time he does drugs and the ge would get progressively more confusing each time.

THATS how my novel would be as a game. Pure. Absolute. Chaos.

And lots of sex. Cant forget the sex. And none of that fade to black shit either

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Complex puzzles, borderline meta-gaming, impossibly-hard boss fights, cryptic lore, forced encounters. No save in-between runs, permanent death for everyone except the main protagonist, but if sanity dropped to 0 then the protagonist is also out. The game ends when either you make it to the endgame or loses the will to try. Progress of completion will reveal more parts of the whole story, but never the full view.

Darkest Dungeon-esque but with World of Horror-type mysteries. Every ending is just a facet of the whole storyline.

It'll be RPG-like, but actually a horror and resource-management game. The objective is not winning, but merely surviving the impact of the actual endgame. Let just say that the entire run is simply a farm for the player to pack themselves before heading towards the endgame and uncover the real hell.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Bruh my story would swerve between Gary Stu levels of easy, and black man in early america levels of hard.

Cuz the MC would be a naturally gifted OP piece of shit with everyone worsshipping his cock, but on the otherhand he would eventually have a whore of yandere Angels--yes, a group of Angels in my story is called a whore--tying him down and raping him. The fate of many a long schlonged black man in the early days of america

It would be an anime on crack game with memes, drugs, tree huggers, wanton death by purge and incest.

Mc's theme song would be Jump Around by Mahouse and it would play each time he does drugs and the ge would get progressively more confusing each time.

THATS how my novel would be as a game. Pure. Absolute. Chaos.

And lots of sex. Cant forget the sex. And none of that fade to black shit either
Seems like you'd have fun making the game! XD
Complex puzzles, borderline meta-gaming, impossibly-hard boss fights, cryptic lore, forced encounters. No save in-between runs, permanent death for everyone except the main protagonist, but if sanity dropped to 0 then the protagonist is also out. The game ends when either you make it to the endgame or loses the will to try. Progress of completion will reveal more parts of the whole story, but never the full view.

Darkest Dungeon-esque but with World of Horror-type mysteries. Every ending is just a facet of the whole storyline.

It'll be RPG-like, but actually a horror and resource-management game. The objective is not winning, but merely surviving the impact of the actual endgame. Let just say that the entire run is simply a farm for the player to pack themselves before heading towards the endgame and uncover the real hell.
*giggles* Can't wait until someone clears your game without a single death while avoiding all non-compulsory fights and only using starting gear! XD

... Because people love challenge runs.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
*giggles* Can't wait until someone clears your game without a single death while avoiding all non-compulsory fights and only using starting gear! XD

... Because people love challenge runs.
I'll mail my hand-written certification to whoever did it.

Then went back to add nightmare mode and added more annoyingly difficult encounters. :blob_evil:

FlutterOfCrows

*Crow pipe in momentarily* Dark Souls-like, but lot of story and bit more lenient on death. o>o

ShrimpShady

My story which I haven't written is a supernatural urban fantasy, so it would probably be a Persona-esque somewhat open world RPG where you go around hunting ghosts. The hardest part of it would be maneuvering through social interactions and sitting through the incessant dialogue.

Mihou

Firefly—
Open-world Japanese RPG, is the way to go for me.

DekuKurohi

What would a combination of ZUN and Nasu be like?
Well since the system in my story is based on another story‘s system that in-universe could be use for an MMOJRPG I would say the game would be something like that. Open world and maybe some MMOJRPG mechanic thrown in. Also gaining more skills now with level ups but continuous use (Which isn’t exactly popular or fun for the most part). The difficultly will be varied with switching perspective and such, one would overpowered next to every encounter story or otherwise except the final boss (obviously) and extra boss (that I would make ludicrously hard since she wasn’t suppose to fight them in-story in the first place), other would start way weaker but it wouldn’t be too hard.

AKitsunex

Probably like a devil may cry storyline. Though, you would be OP as fck in the begining but you slowly lose your skills as the plot goes on. Its like you are max at the begining but slowly, you began to lose certain items and skills due to a plot.

It would even be a path based where each path you pick, would lose certain skills or items. Like, choosing a tricky platform jumping and removing the dash or picking the trap room where dash is heavily reliant but you would lose your double jump.

Because a certain story idea i had was about an OP MC which was given a trial to save the woman he loves by slowly sacrificing everything to save her.

As time goes on, you would slowly unravel the story of how the MC gain those skills and items which he took a long time but decided to forsake them to save her.

In the end, a new choice is given where you retrieve all of those things back or sacrifice them to save the girl.

If you choose the former, you would lose the girl and a new story where you begin to cruise into hell to save her with OP items but it was mostly to redeem yourself and die there in the deepest of hell.

On the latter, you would get the girl but a new story where you need new strong items to defeat a strong enemy which uses your old OP items. Though, the new items looks more futuristic and making the game more epic for the showdown between you and the enemy.

Hmm why do I have a feeling I've read something similar (as in the hero/heroine gradually lose power as the story progresses) to this in an eroge somewhere

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Hmm why do I have a feeling I've read something similar (as in the hero/heroine gradually lose power as the story progresses) to this in an eroge somewhere
I don't play much eroge so i dunno...