Name for an adventurers guild

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
So Ai-chan has a story about a girl who makes her own adventurers guild and names it The Coal Fish. It's a tavern cum work guild where freelancers can go to find jobs that pays for the day's expenses and also functions as a pawnshop. Ai-chan is still mulling over the name. Which one sounds better, 'The Coal Fish' or 'Coal Fish'? No, it's not that she sells fish she found at a coal mine, she just names it that because it's easier to draw a black fish on the signboard.

You're probably thinking, "Just name is Adventurers Guild". But this is not a giant organization that spans the continent. This is just one girl in frontier town with a lot of people who can't pay for their beer. So she gives them jobs so that they CAN pay for their beer. Think like magic guilds in Fairy Tails manga.

If you were to make an adventurers guild, what would you name them?

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Coal Fish can be singular and plural. So you can use it as a name for the guild and for the members. Other than that nothing jumps out at me between the two options.

Now that I think of it. I’d use The Coal Fish, so you if you did refer to the members as coal fish it wouldn’t cause confusion.

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
tavern cum work guild
Excuse me, what kind of guild?

Also, The Coal Fish sounds like a good name. Though I would come up with some fake backstory for it so that it can be told to mess with new people. For example, say that the owner caught a fish filled with coal and used that to pay for basic gear before becoming an adventurer or something.

Ai-chan

Excuse me, what kind of guild?

Also, The Coal Fish sounds like a good name. Though I would come up with some fake backstory for it so that it can be told to mess with new people. For example, say that the owner caught a fish filled with coal and used that to pay for basic gear before becoming an adventurer or something.
Cool idea. She isn't an adventurer. She's not even human, but a humanoid marine creature similar to a water nymph. She owns a tavern in a town that has a lot of refugees and not enough jobs. Ai-chan will have to think about this fake backstory. It's a comedy so it needs to be funny.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Cool idea. She isn't an adventurer. She's not even human, but a humanoid marine creature similar to a water nymph. She owns a tavern in a town that has a lot of refugees and not enough jobs. Ai-chan will have to think about this fake backstory. It's a comedy so it needs to be funny.
Maybe it can be a rumor that she poops coal and the townspeople think that's why it's named that. However, none of them can prove it and she refuses to tell anyone because it adds to the mystery. Though she is actually really embarrassed about the rumor but has kept quiet that it was just a convenient name because she thinks that no one will believe her.

Lomyril

I like the name; it is original and simple. People should be able to remember it, although it may be associated with blackened (badly cooked) fish.

If I were to make an adventurer's guild, the name would depend on the setting. Normally these things are set in a medieval time period, so that's a factor.

I once read something in another story that stuck with me though. One character in the story made the observation that the more bold or outrageous the name of the guild, the more likely they are to do badly (or fail). The successful groups tend to have more mainstream names.

So a reasonable name for a guild... in a medieval time period...

I want to go with a name of "Steadfast". It's short, sweet and implies the group will keep going at a steady pace to get the job done.

:blob_cookie:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Since you mentioned paying for beer, how about The Tab?

Ai-chan

"The Coal Fish" works perfectly in my opinion, especially since its business front is a tavern (The Salty Spitoon, Ye Olde Fighting Cocks). You've also enticed me with your monster girl MC, expect a visit...
Awesome, thanks! Ai-chan will ping you when Ai-chan publishes it (which won't be soon). The first 3 chapters are already written during a burst of inspiration, but Ai-chan wants to stack it up first. Well, if you want to read it first, Ai-chan doesn't mind, but it will be by message.

Since you mentioned paying for beer, how about The Tab?
Nai! She doesn't keep tabs. Either pay or leave collateral before leaving. No debts in this here tavern, yo.

Agentt

Thighs
Silver Harp,
Tho I imagine drawing a cupid would be hard, hmm...
Silver Carp!

Hey, doesn't it seem i can attack Silver to any word and make it Tavern worthy?

Silver Bull
Silver Water
Silver Room
Silver Soap
Silver Rum
Silver Sun
Silver Ass

TotallyHuman

So Ai-chan has a story about a girl who makes her own adventurers guild and names it The Coal Fish. It's a tavern cum work guild where freelancers can go to find jobs that pays for the day's expenses and also functions as a pawnshop. Ai-chan is still mulling over the name. Which one sounds better, 'The Coal Fish' or 'Coal Fish'? No, it's not that she sells fish she found at a coal mine, she just names it that because it's easier to draw a black fish on the signboard.

You're probably thinking, "Just name is Adventurers Guild". But this is not a giant organization that spans the continent. This is just one girl in frontier town with a lot of people who can't pay for their beer. So she gives them jobs so that they CAN pay for their beer. Think like magic guilds in Fairy Tails manga.

Coal Fish sounds less official and serious. Name it that

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨

Suicide Squad

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Thought the name came from her burning the fish to look like coal

Layenlml

You made my want to name a guild Wooden board and the history behind it is that the guild master was too lazy to draw anything so he named the guild like that.