Writing Prompt Nuclear/Radioactive Magical Girl!

• Thread starter Deleted member 26725
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 26725

Magical Girl origins are often by magic, aliens, or even technology!
I’ve grown quite tired of these seemingly typical origin stories, and suddenly thought of the radiation origins of many superheroes!

Just don’t come up with a monster or she-hulk type! She can have some kind of radioactive magical/supernatural powers though!

MajorKerina

I actually have a story kind of like that where because of multi-verse shenanigans a young woman has like a radioactive field around her that transforms anyone she tries to get close to.

D

Deleted member 26725

I actually have a story kind of like that where because of multi-verse shenanigans a young woman has like a radioactive field around her that transforms anyone she tries to get close to.
Oh, I know this one

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
What, did the poor girl gets bitten by a radioactive 90's sailor girl uniform?

Nuclear and weebness is hard to go hand in hand with Japan, especially after the bombs and reactor failure, unless you want to do a Fallout franchise in Nippon, even then mahou shoujos are taking backseats to the samurais and ninjas.

All I can think of is Karen' Microwave Palm in Code Geass, so... "I am going to defeat you with the power of friendship... AND THIS WAVE MOTION CANNON!"

Mechaphobic

Radiation is fairly limited to begin with, you have light or heat. That is about it scientifically. Unless you want to induce radiation poisoning in your foes, but that is not a fast or pretty thing. Radiation poisoning tends to make people look like a melted candle usually.

I mean you could certainly write about a magical girl who can produce the same effect as the demon sphere and irradiate everything around her to death, but that would almost make the cute magical girl look almost ironic. Now seeing someone wear hazmat gear under a magical dress would be quite funny, and I would applaud any artist who made such a thing! I guess you could call her Magical Girl Geiger Cannon.

That would be quite horrific though, and if you use light and heat you just end up with LoL's Lux, such an annoying laugh...

Can I say though that I really like this idea of the microwave vagina the more I think about it. You can give her awesome lines like

"Ding! Your meat is cooked!"

Last edited:

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I thought the whole radioactive origin was no longer applicable. I'm not into superheroes so I might be wrong. But then again, are we still getting new superheroes. I keep only seeing the same ones from before the 80s.

But, if you do insist on a radioactive magical girl, I'm not sure what to make of it. The magical girl genre is mostly whimsical, so it's natural magic would play a better role as an origin of the powers. Aliens and technology, however, I don't recall that, but if you want my opinion if that is the case, then perhaps a suit of some kind? Like Mechaphobic said, some kind of suit that protects her but can also utilize the radiation. Or, you know, she could just have any powers if we're going by the cliche radiation origin story since that's how it usually goes... I think.

Jemini

Magical Girl origins are often by magic, aliens, or even technology!
I’ve grown quite tired of these seemingly typical origin stories, and suddenly thought of the radiation origins of many superheroes!

Just don’t come up with a monster or she-hulk type! She can have some kind of radioactive magical/supernatural powers though!
Technically speaking, this "radioactive" origin has been largely ret-conned out of a large number of super hero origins. This trope was primarily used back in the 50s when radiation was not super well understood. In the 21st century as the science started to become more settled on the matter, most instances of "radiation" got replaced with "genetically modified."

Honestly, I think there are only 6 super hero origins remaining that have radiation in their origin story, and 4 of them are the Fantastic 4. The other two are The Hulk and She Hulk. So, those 6 technically get clipped down to 2 due to the common links. Also, in the case of the Fantastic 4, it was cosmic radiation, and the story is varied up in some cases to include the involvement of some kind of nebula or cosmic event a great distance from Earth. Either way, it's not the man-made radiation seen in fission reactors.

That being said, I don't think using this origin makes much sense other than as some kind of strange throw-back reference. It might work if it's done as some kind of parody. If it is done in parody, you still do have to do your research and maybe tip the hat to the comics fans among your readers by expressly acknowledging the information I put in the above two paragraphs.

D

Deleted member 26725

Dude, that was way more complicated than I thought!

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
What can I say? I know my lore origins.
Honestly, I think there are only 6 super hero origins remaining that have radiation in their origin story, and 4 of them are the Fantastic 4. The other two are The Hulk and She Hulk. So, those 6 technically get clipped down to 2 due to the common links. Also, in the case of the Fantastic 4, it was cosmic radiation, and the story is varied up in some cases to include the involvement of some kind of nebula or cosmic event a great distance from Earth. Either way, it's not the man-made radiation seen in fission reactors.
Ya big dumb dumb, you forgot spider-man!

Jemini

Ya big dumb dumb, you forgot spider-man!
I covered spider man in the 1st paragraph. He was one of the many superheroes that had his radioactive origin ret-conned into genetically modified. Please read my entire comment before trying to call me out like this.

I thought what I wrote was pretty clear on that subject, but it seems it is not infrequent for people to have lapses in their reading comprehension anyway.

What I was saying is that, as of the 21st century, only those 6 STILL have radiation in their origin story. All others have had it changed to "genetically modified."

ResilioUnus

I mean, if you want to go with a realistic interpretation of radiation, you're just stuck with a delusion girl fighting crime and cancer. There's not much to work with.

However, going with more fantasy or supernatural stories can give lead to some heat-based or blast-like powers. Not the most interesting thing, but radiation is both one of the most simple and most complicated way to give someone powers. If you do want to stick with it, you can give the girl whatever powers you want while the radiation is giving her cancer or killing her in some other way.

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
I covered spider man in the 1st paragraph. He was one of the many superheroes that had his radioactive origin ret-conned into genetically modified. Please read my entire comment before trying to call me out like this.
Actually, that depends on what universe you're looking at. In the comic-book universe, it's still radioactive. In the movies, it's genetics.