What did you learn today?

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula

TIL that in the early 1980's, a newspaper accidentally switched the captions for Dennis the Menace and The Far Side comics twice. While some people found it humorous, other people found the captioning to be deeply disturbing and the newspaper apologized for the errors.​

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
I learned that people genuinely do not understand why the court systems keep getting more convoluted. It's like complaining non-stop about everything means that the people in charge will slap a fix to the side of an already existing law, that was already clear for anyone with half a brain, just to shut people up.

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
I am afraid I am not familiar.

If you are on the no fly list for something you did, can you still cross state lines, by driving or walking?
Due to government idiocy, there was a heavily armed stand off between civilians are law enforcement. I happened to be in the area on different business and was tagged as a target of interest by the FBI, probably because I was armed. I'm off the list now, but put simply I could fly domestically. But I could not leave the country. Even though it is a no fly list it also covers land borders and sea travel.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
IM freaking trash at Valorant and ill never go beyond Plastic 3. Im decent at rocket league but the only thing I know is to piss off people by demoing them to oblivion as well as using a merc. I finally acknowledged i am trash in competitive play. 💀

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
Police Dogs, Military Dogs and Detection Dogs could fail their government training programme by being too friendly

idk i find this rather funny the more i asked it

==

can a fart actually kill people

It is highly unlikely for a fart to kill a person. Flatulence (farting) is a natural bodily process that occurs when excess gas is expelled from the digestive system. While certain medical conditions or dietary habits can cause particularly strong or unpleasant flatulence, it is not typically dangerous to the person passing gas or to others around them. However, in extremely rare cases, a fart could potentially cause harm if it were to occur in the presence of a spark or flame, leading to an explosion or fire. But in general, farts are harmless and do not pose a risk of death.

never thought exploding or combusting farts are an actual thing

Exploding or combusting farts are not common occurrences and are extremely rare. They can occur due to the presence of methane gas, which is flammable, in the digestive system. However, the amount of methane produced is usually not enough to cause an explosion or combustion. In general, farts are harmless and are a natural byproduct of digestion.

can farts also become electric

While it is possible for some gases to become ionized and conduct electricity, it is unlikely for farts to become electric. Farts are mainly composed of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases like methane and hydrogen. These gases are not typically ionized or conductive, so it's unlikely that a fart would become electric.

what will happen if farts become electric

Farts cannot become electric on their own. However, if a person passes gas in the presence of a source of static electricity or an electrical discharge, it could potentially ignite the gas and cause a fire or explosion. This is a rare occurrence, but it is possible. It is important to be cautious in areas where flammable gases may be present, such as around gasoline or propane tanks, and to avoid creating sparks or static electricity in those areas

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
Apparently Queen Victoria had mentioned in passing a possibility of ensuring a Southern Victory, and promising support/protection if the Confederacy would move away from

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
Inmates in a Brazil prison shorten their sentences by writing book reviews

Carambaia then began donating a wide variety of books to the prison. That book club helped the inmates develop their analytical and communication skills. And out of that came a surprising insight: prison inmates read 9 times more books than civilians. So together with the National Justice Council, the Carambaia publishing house created a program called The Prison Reviews.

The publisher did something that had never been done before—they turned prisoners into book critics. Because the inmates were passionate readers, they were encouraged to write book reviews. They were given 30 days to read a book, then submit a review to be evaluated by a committee.
--
Each well-written review would shave four days off an inmate's sentence. It fuelled the inmates' passion for reading, it gave them dignity, it gave them hope and it showed the outside world that marginalized people have a voice.

As someone said, the Prison Reviews project allowed inmates to re-write their destiny.