Yet another free feedback thread.

Loexik

I'm currently floating aimlessly, and I supposed that some feedback would change that. I'd really appreciate any comments about my story. Thanks in advance!

If you do indeed read my story, please share your thoughts in this thread. Again, Thanks!

SailusGebel

I'm currently floating aimlessly, and I supposed that some feedback would change that. I'd really appreciate any comments about my story. Thanks in advance!

If you do indeed read my story, please share your thoughts in this thread. Again, Thanks!

Good day to you. Before I start with the feedback, I would mention that English is my second language. I stopped reading after finishing Chapter 2 – Shackled.

It's a flowery nothing.

After reading the first few paragraphs, I was conflicted about what to think of your writing. It was harder to understand than I would've liked it to be. Example. The sky was an eerie purple-tinged black, My first time reading the phrase 'the sky was black,' where black is used as a noun.

But after reading half of chapter one, I got used to it. After I finished chapter one, I was extremely tired of your writing. After I finished chapter two, there was no chance in hell I would continue reading your novel.

Because of your writing\prose, it's tedious to read, as you've got a very repetitive way of writing. Repetitive in the sense that you repeat the sentence structures all the time and use the same phrases. Sure, you use words that are rarely used and try to not repeat the said words. However, your usage of those words devalues them. Moreover, MC and the narrator have almost the same way of talking.

As I said before, your writing holds no story in it.

Here's an example of flowery nothing. Piercing eldrich screams echoed in the boundless dark from all directions in synchronous with unending inundating sensations that washed over like waves of the monsoon, rapid and heavy.

You spend your word count writing sentences like the above one. Because of that, there is nothing left of the story.

The dude transmigrates, reincarnates, or wakes up in an unknown place. He walks around trying to find food and water but ends up being caught and cuffed. In chapter two, he is guided to a cage, tries to run away, fails, and sits in a cage. In the cage, he apparently fights with snails. The end. Why should I bother reading more? There are no necessary descriptions, explanations, or exposition.

and I suppose I could count escaping the Murim1 as a lucky star...' You waste your word count writing unnecessary stuff, but in turn, you don't bother to explain what Murim is. I don't care who else uses it and why. Your way of 'explaining' the term is shit writing. You write in a third-person POV. Which means you can explain everything in the text.

I've also just processed my first glossary entry. It's a concise description of the Status sheet. To be fair, I don't know whether you will explain the status sheet later in the story. If yes, I've got no qualms with this. If not, another shit writing.

I noticed a couple of typos. Nothing serious here.
by the skin of his teeth!'.
"Yes! Yes, yes! Out...Please!".
Clenching his hands tight, Remus grunted "Uff!".
"OH! HEYYY! NICE TO FINALLY SEE SOMEONE ALIVE!".

And lastly, it's not something that will affect my assessment; I'm simply curious. Why are you self-censoring 'fuck' when you have a strong language content warning?

As usual, I didn't rate your story. But if I had to, 2.5 stars. Although I dislike the way you write, your prose, how you write, call it however you want, it's relatively easy to read. Not so easy to comprehend though. The main gripe is a non-existent story.

Loexik

Good day to you. Before I start with the feedback, I would mention that English is my second language. I stopped reading after finishing Chapter 2 – Shackled.

It's a flowery nothing.

After reading the first few paragraphs, I was conflicted about what to think of your writing. It was harder to understand than I would've liked it to be. Example. The sky was an eerie purple-tinged black, My first time reading the phrase 'the sky was black,' where black is used as a noun.

But after reading half of chapter one, I got used to it. After I finished chapter one, I was extremely tired of your writing. After I finished chapter two, there was no chance in hell I would continue reading your novel.

Because of your writing\prose, it's tedious to read, as you've got a very repetitive way of writing. Repetitive in the sense that you repeat the sentence structures all the time and use the same phrases. Sure, you use words that are rarely used and try to not repeat the said words. However, your usage of those words devalues them. Moreover, MC and the narrator have almost the same way of talking.

As I said before, your writing holds no story in it.

Here's an example of flowery nothing. Piercing eldrich screams echoed in the boundless dark from all directions in synchronous with unending inundating sensations that washed over like waves of the monsoon, rapid and heavy.

You spend your word count writing sentences like the above one. Because of that, there is nothing left of the story.

The dude transmigrates, reincarnates, or wakes up in an unknown place. He walks around trying to find food and water but ends up being caught and cuffed. In chapter two, he is guided to a cage, tries to run away, fails, and sits in a cage. In the cage, he apparently fights with snails. The end. Why should I bother reading more? There are no necessary descriptions, explanations, or exposition.

and I suppose I could count escaping the Murim1 as a lucky star...' You waste your word count writing unnecessary stuff, but in turn, you don't bother to explain what Murim is. I don't care who else uses it and why. Your way of 'explaining' the term is shit writing. You write in a third-person POV. Which means you can explain everything in the text.

I've also just processed my first glossary entry. It's a concise description of the Status sheet. To be fair, I don't know whether you will explain the status sheet later in the story. If yes, I've got no qualms with this. If not, another shit writing.

I noticed a couple of typos. Nothing serious here.
by the skin of his teeth!'.
"Yes! Yes, yes! Out...Please!".
Clenching his hands tight, Remus grunted "Uff!".
"OH! HEYYY! NICE TO FINALLY SEE SOMEONE ALIVE!".

And lastly, it's not something that will affect my assessment; I'm simply curious. Why are you self-censoring 'fuck' when you have a strong language content warning?

As usual, I didn't rate your story. But if I had to, 2.5 stars. Although I dislike the way you write, your prose, how you write, call it however you want, it's relatively easy to read. Not so easy to comprehend though. The main gripe is a non-existent story.
It'll preface with chapter 1 is full of foreshadowing. I tried fixing what you've in the 4th chapter but tbh idk if it did anything or not bcus I was fixing it going off of the feeling that something was off about my writing, I still do feel that way... I'd appreciate if you look into my 3rd and 4th and say your thoughts about them... Thanks so far! This is 2nd piece of advice I've only ever gotten about my story... I think I'll have to do a rewrite soon I suppose

Last edited:

Menilik

Wow you've had like a million requests already.

Can I please pop one more into the mix?

SailusGebel

Wow you've had like a million requests already.

Can I please pop one more into the mix?

Tell me where you would like to get your feedback, here or PM.

Brandondee

Hi, I only have 2 chapter up so far but I’d appreciate some feedback. You can post it here

Erios909

I love me some non-restrained feedback.

I'm good with you posting your response here! Thanks.

SailusGebel

Hi, I only have 2 chapter up so far but I’d appreciate some feedback. You can post it here

Good day to you. Before I start with the feedback, I would mention that English is my second language. I stopped reading after finishing Chapter 1- Talk of The Town.

Your story is full of cliche, a generic western or something like that. The thing that bothers me is that the quality of your writing doesn't justify it. I said multiple times before that I don't mind generic stories, and I even enjoy them. But on the condition that the writing is excellent. Your writing isn't good.

I won't be able to pinpoint all the mistakes and tell exactly why and what is wrong. You can go to Motsu's feedback thread for this. But I will still mention a couple of things that caught my eye.

Here's an example of bad paragraphing.
The tavern erupted in laughter at his misfortune. Lucas winced. The paragraph with these sentences can be easily split into two. It will help with readability. This is just one example that is a good illustration. The paragraphing problem is present throughout the chapter.

A couple of examples of mistakes.
When a nuclear holocaust wipes out most of the population Wiped out?

The poor sap he’d sold it told had paid twice what it was worth. Typo?

A few examples of weird sentences.
Every head in Tanner’s Tavern turned towards the caramel-skinned stranger in the green jacket as a gust of wind and dust blew in his wake. Wake? What?

He felt himself getting more excited with each step he took toward the bar. This sentence sounds somewhat awkward. You can paraphrase it into a better one.

And lastly, a logical mistake.
And iron coins were the most valuable. Why? Iron is abundant; making the most valuable coin out of iron is, well, stupid. Anyone can go, melt stuff and get rich. Considering how a glass of beer is only three coppers, it just doesn't make any sense. MC was shot by a large group of people, yet no one spared the bullets. And bullets are harder to make than coins.

About upsides. Though your setting and premise are somewhat rare, I can't justify calling it an upside. First of all, I'm not a fan of this western-like vibe, and second because it's way too generic. The scenes, the attempt at humor, and the MC's personality don't have any unique features. I guess the combination of those doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps if you switched some of them, it would've been more fun for me, but this is very subjective.

That's pretty much it. As usual, I didn't rate your story. But if I had to, 2.5 stars. Mostly because I don't like the way you write.

Brandondee

Good day to you. Before I start with the feedback, I would mention that English is my second language. I stopped reading after finishing Chapter 1- Talk of The Town.

Your story is full of cliche, a generic western or something like that. The thing that bothers me is that the quality of your writing doesn't justify it. I said multiple times before that I don't mind generic stories, and I even enjoy them. But on the condition that the writing is excellent. Your writing isn't good.

I won't be able to pinpoint all the mistakes and tell exactly why and what is wrong. You can go to Motsu's feedback thread for this. But I will still mention a couple of things that caught my eye.

Here's an example of bad paragraphing.
The tavern erupted in laughter at his misfortune. Lucas winced. The paragraph with these sentences can be easily split into two. It will help with readability. This is just one example that is a good illustration. The paragraphing problem is present throughout the chapter.

A couple of examples of mistakes.
When a nuclear holocaust wipes out most of the population Wiped out?

The poor sap he’d sold it told had paid twice what it was worth. Typo?

A few examples of weird sentences.
Every head in Tanner’s Tavern turned towards the caramel-skinned stranger in the green jacket as a gust of wind and dust blew in his wake. Wake? What?

He felt himself getting more excited with each step he took toward the bar. This sentence sounds somewhat awkward. You can paraphrase it into a better one.

And lastly, a logical mistake.
And iron coins were the most valuable. Why? Iron is abundant; making the most valuable coin out of iron is, well, stupid. Anyone can go, melt stuff and get rich. Considering how a glass of beer is only three coppers, it just doesn't make any sense. MC was shot by a large group of people, yet no one spared the bullets. And bullets are harder to make than coins.

About upsides. Though your setting and premise are somewhat rare, I can't justify calling it an upside. First of all, I'm not a fan of this western-like vibe, and second because it's way too generic. The scenes, the attempt at humor, and the MC's personality don't have any unique features. I guess the combination of those doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps if you switched some of them, it would've been more fun for me, but this is very subjective.

That's pretty much it. As usual, I didn't rate your story. But if I had to, 2.5 stars. Mostly because I don't like the way you write.
"When a nuclear holocaust wipes out most of the population, it just makes more sense to directly trade goods and services instead of handing people worthless pieces of paper". You cut off the rest of the sentence. I don't see an issue here.

Thanks for catching that typo for me. It should've been "The poor sap he'd sold it to had paid twice what it was worth.

"In its wake" is a common phrase. It means behind something.

You're right that I could have written "He felt himself growing more excited with each step" instead of what I had.

I wrote the first chapter a couple of months ago, but I remember looking up info about which metals would be the most useful for crafting items, and most of the places that I looked said iron would be the most valuable, so that's why I made it the most valuable type of coin. I originally wanted to just use the barter system, but the government in this world is supposed to be greedy and it wouldn't make sense for them to stick with a barter system if they weren't able to profit off of that.

I didn't get to mention it yet, but people collect bullets, melt them down and reuse them. It's not an easy or cheap process though. That scene was mostly just supposed to be fun and show that Lucas' bounty was so high that people were willing to throw caution to the wind to catch him.

You're right that I need to work on making his personality more distinct. I've been struggling with that. The critique feels harsh but I appreciate you taking the time to check it out and give me your thoughts. I'll try to imrpove the things you mentioned. Thanks.

SailusGebel

I wrote the first chapter a couple of months ago, but I remember looking up info about which metals would be the most useful for crafting items, and most of the places that I looked said iron would be the most valuable, so that's why I made it the most valuable type of coin. I originally wanted to just use the barter system, but the government in this world is supposed to be greedy and it wouldn't make sense for them to stick with a barter system if they weren't able to profit off of that.
Useful =\= valuable. Iron is relatively easy to find, and making an iron coin is, again, relatively easy. Bullets are a lot more expensive to make, yet they still do it. You can go and look for random iron things and make iron coins.
I didn't get to mention it yet, but people collect bullets, melt them down and reuse them. It's not an easy or cheap process though. That scene was mostly just supposed to be fun and show that Lucas' bounty was so high that people were willing to throw caution to the wind to catch him.
And that's the problem. Fun collides with logic and makes a plothole. 200 iron coins are either super weighty or small. If they are small, just go ahead and melt random iron things and get rich. If they are weighty, how would you collect them? How are you going to carry them?

Brandondee

Useful =\= valuable. Iron is relatively easy to find, and making an iron coin is, again, relatively easy. Bullets are a lot more expensive to make, yet they still do it. You can go and look for random iron things and make iron coins.

And that's the problem. Fun collides with logic and makes a plothole. 200 iron coins are either super weighty or small. If they are small, just go ahead and melt random iron things and get rich. If they are weighty, how would you collect them? How are you going to carry them?
Fair enough

Oxylus

This sounds fun! If you have time, I'd appreciate your fun take on reviews: Manabound. PM or here, whichever you would prefer. (I probably would see PM first, heh.)

SailusGebel

I love me some non-restrained feedback.

I'm good with you posting your response here! Thanks.
Good day to you. Before I start with the feedback, I would mention that English is my second language. I stopped reading after finishing A1 – Chapter 2 – Ad Hoc Nightmare (Part 1).

A very important note. I have no intention of reading further. That's why I don't know whether there will be chapters like a prologue or not in the following chapters. Why it's important? Because the prologue is 1.5 out of 5 stars.

A large amount of long, incomprehensible sentences. Here's an example.
As the wave of anti-nanite particles swept through the nearby sector, it desperately made the necessary calculations needed to engage its slipstream drive to a star it calculated had already been visited by the wave and yet was out of range of its progenitor’s line drive technology.

Weird and badly worded sentences. Here's an example.
No matter what size fleet they could send against it, their attack was hopeless.

And usage of abbreviation. Droves of the ECM units What is ECM?

All of the above made me question one thing. Why The Entity tried to flee in the first place if it decimated the attackers? This is a plothole or a logical mistake. I couldn't understand it from a text, because the text is VERY hard to understand and read.

But I will pretend that prologue was an aberration and the rest of the story is like the two following chapters. They are not as good, but they are infinitely better than the prologue.

All the problems I listed above are still present.
EVA class helmets What does EVA mean?
The blue shimmer of the ship’s I-field What does I-field mean?
One thing she hadn’t accounted for was the A-Grav field. What does the A-Grav field mean?

I have no idea, and I won't google it. If I have to google the meaning of an abbreviation or some term, it's shit writing. Don't take me wrong. Googling a new word or a word that is rarely used is okay(I googled 'rent'). Though personally, I would've liked it if an author used simpler terms, I have no problems with it. But when people use abbreviations or terms like, for example, Murim, or Cultivation, or in our case I-fields, it's shit writing.

Another point I want to make, you are writing sci-fi. Contextually I understand that I-field is something that stops air from leaking(like in Star Wars). BUT, if you write sci-fi, in my opinion, you should explain why and how things work. Otherwise, it's fantasy with the word 'magic' swapped with 'science.' It's not a magical field but a scientific I-field.

Examples of weird sentences.
The dizziness took another moment to pass, and that seemed to help clear up her blurry vision as well. Is it wrong? I don't care. But this sentence can be better if you paraphrase it.

A thin blue glistening field shimmered against the black, doing its best to contain the now freezing internal atmosphere that remained. The same as the previous one.

The decision to go feet first was easy; skinsuits were EVA capable after all, and with most of her body through, Alex figured it would be easier to pull herself the rest of the way through. It's a long and weird sentence. Plus, what the hell does 'EVA capable' mean?

Why am I saying those two chapters are infinitely better than the prologue? Well, it's about the frequency of the points I made. If the prologue is full of things I deem as mistakes, the following chapters are not. They are easier to read and understand, and there are no parts that are incomprehensible.

That's the end of the feedback. As usual, I didn't rate your story. But if I had to, 2.75 stars. But only if I don't count the prologue, and there won't be more chapters like that.