What does it mean to be an adult?

Daitengu

Pretty sure age is just a shut off point for foolishness that harms others because kids are innocently cruel. In practicality I think adult means having enough of a mind to own up to your actions and having the ability to consider long term cause and effect.

Yes that means we got a lot of child minded folk running around blaming everyone but themselves for shit that happens to them. A real shame those sociopaths are popular for CEO and politician positions. Cause they often only care about themselves and short term profit while making everyone else's life worse.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Being adult means the state sends their angry mob of tax collectors to you instead of your parents

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
he said he didn't know and to tell him when I figure it out.

Then I've been an adult since I was 15 after I got my first job.

Sigh.

Well, hate to say it, yes. You are an adult because you don't have any in your life.

The problem is, you don't have a signpost. Most cultures (used to) have a rite of passage to mark when a boy became a man. It always involved some feat of endurance. Drink alot. Go kill a bear. Sit in a sweat lodge. That sort of thing. You see, being an adult in your case means being a man. Being a man means putting up with suffering. Society is built on the bodies of dead men.

You see, every woman is born with inherent value. Like it or not, women are the means by which humanity survives. We need women, we don't need men... for reproduction.

However, someone has to dig the ditches. Someone has to shover the shit. When it comes to the back breaking slave labor that maintains society, that's men. Women are human beings, men are human doings.

You are a man, and you aren't doing something, What Good Are You?

And anyone who wants to argue with me, go ahead, but you had better be logical and give examples. Male pain is forbidden. I once had a break down. Flash back to some really bad shit. Locked myself in the bathroom to have a good cry. My co-workers called the police and HAD ME ARRESTED FOR CRYING. I got taken to the psychward... FOR CRYING IN THE BATHROOM.

I'm not the only one. Woman crying on the side of the road, people will stop and check on her. There have been studies. but if it is a man, go fuck youself. This is how society sees you. You are expendable.

This is a good thing.

Holy crap would never want to be a woman. Have to put up with all the shit they go through? To NOT be seen for what I do and instead what I was born as? I am valued for what I have accomplished, not just because I have balls between my legs. I man who does nothing is discarded and rejected by society, and a man who builds and creates is valued. That's how it is... even if modern TV and movies tell you otherwise.

Yes, in the past 15 years you cannot point to 5 decent father role models in modern TV. You have basically King of queens and homer Simpson, and a hundred bumbling, idiotic fathers who need to be saved by women in their lives. I am not surprised you have no idea how to be an adult, because I suspect you haven't SEEN ONE in years. But the fact is, as much as Hollywood wants to tell you that all men are stupid idiots and women are the bestestest evar, the fact of the matter is, the real world don't give a shit about what you think, but what you do. The world only rewards success.

How do you be an adult?

Limitations. Impose limits on yourself. Do hard work. Society considers the word 'work' to be evil lately, but trust me, those people are idiots. Doing hard work, building, creating order, making the world a better place, that is what leads to happiness. When you make something of value, when you build, when you DO, when you self-improve, trust me, you will finally look back, see something you achieved, and have pride in it.

And that's how you become a man.

You want to become a man, not an adult. Stop with that BS mind set, that's your problem. Here.

Have you ever ran 50 miles? Or a proper marathon?

Hell, just WALK 50 miles without pause. I'm serious. Do it. If you can't, WORK AT IT. Run, every day until you puke or you can run 50 miles. If you can do it, you'll be an 'adult'. Why? Because everything you need to learn and achieve to actually RUN 50 miles is what you need to learn and do to BECOME AN ADULT. If you don't have the skills to run 50 miles, they you don't have the skills to be an adult.

You want to know how to be an adult? There you go. It is that simple. Walk 50 miles without taking a break. By the time you pull it off, you will have all the qualities to be a man. And as the years roll on, and you find yourself in your old age, thinking about your life, you can say, "I remember one time, I didn't think I could do anything, but I put my mind to run 50 miles, and it took a year, but I did it. That was the point in my life I realized I could do anything If I just put my mind to it."

But you won't.

You wont do it, because you don't have the mind set. You might even try and run, I dunno, quarter mile or something, but you're looking for the easy way. You want some sort of philosophical bullshit. My method is actual WORK. It would take up time from playing around and having fun. You want a link on the internet that will download the answer of adult into your brain, instead of figuring out that if you want to grow up, YOU NEED TO GROW UP.

And you will have to do it alone. Nobody to help you. Nobody to cheat off of. Nobody can run the miles for you. You, and you alone must do it and if you don't do it, nobody will hold you to task. Nobody will get on your ass. NO BODY WILL CARE IF YOU GIVE UP.

So why even try? Don't bother. Just do you job, hang out with your friends, drink a beer and play video games. Just be a child for the rest of your life. It's not like anyone else around you wants to grow up. Everyone else acts like a child. Just give up, give in, and go with the flow, man.

Of course... the only way to go with the flow is down hill.

---

It has occurred to me that I was rude. I assumed you might be physically capable of running 50 miles, when you might actually be missing a foot or something. I apologize. That was wrong to assume.

You can also bicycle 50 miles. Or, perhaps you have no functional knees. In which case, I give you the fall back of, pick your favorate video game.

Now play it for 72 hours straight.

BTW, I'm not pulling this out of my ass. I've done the 50 mile walk. I've biked from Rochester to Syracuse. And I played a video game for 80 hours straight.

These are all feats of endurance. The act of pushing yourself past your limits. This is the test to prove yourself.
It starts small, and ends in the impossible.

Last edited:

PancakesWitch

Sigh.

Well, hate to say it, yes. You are an adult because you don't have any in your life.

The problem is, you don't have a signpost. Most cultures (used to) have a rite of passage to mark when a boy became a man. It always involved some feat of endurance. Drink alot. Go kill a bear. Sit in a sweat lodge. That sort of thing. You see, being an adult in your case means being a man. Being a man means putting up with suffering. Society is built on the bodies of dead men.

You see, every woman is born with inherent value. Like it or not, women are the means by which humanity survives. We need women, we don't need men... for reproduction.

However, someone has to dig the ditches. Someone has to shover the shit. When it comes to the back breaking slave labor that maintains society, that's men. Women are human beings, men are human doings.

And anyone who wants to argue with me, go ahead, but you had better be logical and give examples. Male pain is forbidden. I once had a break down. Flash back to some really bad shit. Locked myself in the bathroom to have a good cry. My co-workers called the police and HAD ME ARRESTED FOR CRYING. I got taken to the psychward... FOR CRYING IN THE BATHROOM.

I'm not the only one. Woman crying on the side of the road, people will stop and check on her. There have been studies. but if it is a man, go fuck youself. This is how society sees you. You are expendable.

This is a good thing.

Holy crap would never want to be a woman. Have to put up with all the shit they go through? To NOT be seen for what I do and instead what I was born as? I am valued for what I have accomplished, not just because I have balls between my legs. I man who does nothing is discarded and rejected by society, and a man who builds and creates is valued. That's how it is... even if modern TV and movies tell you otherwise.

Yes, in the past 15 years you cannot point to 5 decent father role models in modern TV. You have basically King of queens and homer Simpson, and a hundred bumbling, idiotic fathers who need to be saved by women in their lives. I am not surprised you have no idea how to be an adult, because I suspect you haven't SEEN ONE in years. But the fact is, as much as Hollywood wants to tell you that all men are stupid idiots and women are the bestestest evar, the fact of the matter is, the real world don't give a shit about what you think, but what you do. The world only rewards success.

How do you be an adult?

Limitations. Impose limits on yourself. Do hard work. Society considers the word 'work' to be evil lately, but trust me, those people are idiots. Doing hard work, building, creating order, making the world a better place, that is what leads to happiness. When you make something of value, when you build, when you DO, when you self-improve, trust me, you will finally look back, see something you achieved, and have pride in it.

You want to become a man, not an adult. Stop with that BS mind set, that's your problem. Here.

Hell, just WALK 50 miles without pause. I'm serious. Do it. If you can't, WORK AT IT. Run, every day until you puke or you can run 50 miles. If you can do it, you'll be an 'adult'. Why? Because everything you need to learn and achieve to actually RUN 50 miles is what you need to learn and do to BECOME AN ADULT. If you don't have the skills to run 50 miles, they you don't have the skills to be an adult.

You want to know how to be an adult? There you go. It is that simple. Walk 50 miles without taking a break. By the time you pull it off, you will have all the qualities to be a man. And as the years roll on, and you find yourself in your old age, thinking about your life, you can say, "I remember one time, I didn't think I could do anything, but I put my mind to run 50 miles, and it took a year, but I did it. That was the point in my life I realized I could do anything If I just put my mind to it."

But you won't.

You wont do it, because you don't have the mind set. You might even try and run, I dunno, quarter mile or something, but you're looking for the easy way. You want some sort of philosophical bullshit. My method is actual WORK. It would take up time from playing around and having fun. You want a link on the internet that will download the answer of adult into your brain, instead of figuring out that if you want to grow up, YOU NEED TO GROW UP.

And you will have to do it alone. Nobody to help you. Nobody to cheat off of. Nobody can run the miles for you. You, and you alone must do it and if you don't do it, nobody will hold you to task. Nobody will get on your ass. NO BODY WILL CARE IF YOU GIVE UP.

So why even try? Don't bother. Just do you job, hang out with your friends, drink a beer and play video games. Just be a child for the rest of your life. It's not like anyone else around you wants to grow up. Everyone else acts like a child. Just give up, give in, and go with the flow, man.

---

It has occurred to me that I was rude. I assumed you might be physically capable of running 50 miles, when you might actually be missing a foot or something. I apologize. That was wrong to assume.

You can also bicycle 50 miles. Or, perhaps you have no functional knees. In which case, I give you the fall back of, pick your favorate video game.

BTW, I'm not pulling this out of my ass. I've done the 50 mile walk. I've biked from Rochester to Syracuse. And I played a video game for 80 hours straight.

These are all feats of endurance. The act of pushing yourself past your limits. This is the test to prove yourself.
Damn, we were talking about being an adult in differnet ways but you just posted a whole rant about how you hate women. I ama woman and I've been working since I am 21, earning my own keep and not dependning in anybody. Since I was born that I was never told I had any inherten value, in fact i was treated like shit my entire life. I don't know in what sort of fantasy world you live where women are dominating the world or something, but your world view is incredibly fucked up, wash your face and walk outside for a little bit. Everybody (women included) are having a hard time, not only you. I seriously hate how men talk about women as if we had our lives done the moment we are born, its such a fucked up way of talking when we have always been treated like objects for years.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
To me, the moment I start to adult is when knowing my parents and elders are old and dying. Learnt that lesson before I was of legal age when I sent my father into the flaming chute. You really start to adult when no one will cover for you for "just loving you" , which either forces your ass up from the ground and fix your own life or be a complete waste of space like the rest.

You also learn from the start that no plan survives on first contact, failure is mandatory, the government is HR; they don't give a fuck about you, nothing is free and read the terms and conditions. Adulting follows the simple theme of "learn until death" because that's it, you find your fixed pattern, you do your own trials and tribulations, you file your own taxes, deal with the bills on the table and continue your immaturity from your youth and disguise them as being young at heart.

You need to understand that no one here truly knows why we are here, but rather, we are thrown into this world unprepared. So do your best, suffer the rest. Suffer until you can suffer no more and discover that you can suffer some more, that's is where you find your new threshold and suffer some more.

Be it dealing with first world problem or living in a literal hell hole, we all have problems, either a creation of our own or thanks to outside of our sphere of influence. All you can do is grit your teeth and relax your sphincter.

Ps. This is my view of life, so if you don't enjoy it, it's fine and scrub it out of your head then.

Mandark

I won’t reduce this question by saying ‘well legally….‘ I figure you are intelligent enough to know basic law.

So while not giving an overly long explanation, being an adult is simple to state. First and foremost, be responsible for yourself. Being an adult does not mean you’re a good person. It’s just that at the end of the day you carry your own weight.

D

Deleted member 57675

You cant really ask this to people in this forum... most of the people here are just teens
Surprisingly i think quite a few were mid to pate 20s here in those how-old-age threads. Unless demographic of ScribbleHub has shifted?

I have no clue what I'm doing and just go through the motions because no one has ever explained to me what makes someone an adult. They always just say things like you'll understand once you're an adult but I am an adult and I have never understood.
In similar boat, though think you are younger. Adult to me is being mature, responsibilities (legally, financially, managing your own health, knowing priorities), and not seeing the world so rosy-tinted as we once did. Being an adult seems like being able to take care of self without being heavily reliant on others to care for you.

Can never understand why people want grow up so badly, save ofc, for some situations.

When you're a kid, you have time. When you're an adult, the clock is ticking. Constant reminder be it your thoughts, society or your body physically.
  • You may be told to watch what you eat as a kid, but enjoy being able to eat while your body can still digest those foods. When you're older, you have to take serious consideration that the lifestyle you do may fuck up your health - there may be no going back or reverse but it'll be hard, much harder.
  • You may be told you too young to date in teens. When you hit adult, its find that person before you get too old and no one will date/marry/stay with you.
  • When you're young, you may be told to pursue your dreams (discounting the parents and society expectations) sometimes. When you're an adult, you got bills to pay, a pretense to smile through, worry bout how take care loved ones, worry bout a shelter over your head. Some dreams you realize will never see the light and they'll eventually fade into obscurity.
  • Can say outrageous things as a kid. You're an adult, even if you don't like it, theres still a face, that while probably not as extreme in novels, if you say the wrong thing, you can loose a lot of people and get in a lot of trouble for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigh.

This is a good thing.

How do you be an adult?

But you won't.

---

based schizoid incel

Damn, we were talking about being an adult in differnet ways but you just posted a whole rant about how you hate women. I ama woman and I've been working since I am 21, earning my own keep and not dependning in anybody. Since I was born that I was never told I had any inherten value, in fact i was treated like shit my entire life. I don't know in what sort of fantasy world you live where women are dominating the world or something, but your world view is incredibly fucked up, wash your face and walk outside for a little bit. Everybody (women included) are having a hard time, not only you. I seriously hate how men talk about women as if we had our lives done the moment we are born, its such a fucked up way of talking when we have always been treated like objects for years.
based cynical femcel

As the title asked, What does it mean to be an adult? Is it age that truly certifies you as an adult or is it based on a person's maturity after reaching a certain age? In most places, you are considered an adult at the age of 18 but some cultures say that you are not an adult until you meet certain criteria such as a job, place to live, and being a productive member of society. Some have even argued that you're not an adult until you've lost your virginity. Guess I'm not an adult then but seriously, what do you think makes someone an adult? Maturity? Lifestyle? Age? Responsibilities? Social acceptance? What? I'm only asking this because I am considered an adult by my family, peers, government, and coworkers but I have no clue what I'm doing and just go through the motions because no one has ever explained to me what makes someone an adult. They always just say things like you'll understand once you're an adult but I am an adult and I have never understood.
there's a saying here that roughly translates to "you are not a man untill your father is dead". I'd say you're truly an adult once you're the head of a family: you're a parent or your father is unable/unavailable.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Adults are people who enjoy adult content.

Seriously though, it all depends on the culture. Some cultures have violent rites of passage to draw a clear distinction, but in a culture that values individuality over collectivism, it's up to the individual to decide when they consider themselves an adult.

Omnifarious

Die for those who live; Live for those who died.
They always just say things like you'll understand once you're an adult but I am an adult and I have never understood.
Think of it this way, when do you start considering yourself an author? When did you stop thinking, "I am just stumbling in the dark, looking at writer's guides, tool-tips, essentially slinging shit against the wall seeing what sticks"

To be an adult physically, culturally and legally is not hard, you just are over time. But to be an adult mentally, metaphysically and existentially... that is an ongoing search, defined and re-defined in a person's personal journey. Like "What makes me happy?" "What matters to me?"

Like, being a writer, you just have to write, to feel like you are one.... well... stacks of experience, some deep introspection... and feel like you know some stuff... (even if you are wrong)

Personally, I try to not care about labels and definitions... except when I hypocritically care about them.

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
Paying the bills, looking at the windows of stores like (i.e. Toys R Us, Gamestop, Funko) and cant use the money to buy them because its already planned to be used for the baby's needs...

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Can never understand why people want grow up so badly, save ofc, for some situations.
Ah, well, it's not that hard to understand IMO.

Teenagers will often times have trouble and disagreements with their parents. Everyone surely heard of the phrase "Rebellious Phase" at least once, right?

The dream of having your own independence, not needing to rely on anyone or follow other people's rules when you're at your own home... It's understandable many people would long for this when they're teenagers.

... When they grow up, they realize that, while yes, having your own home is nice, it's actually stupidly expensive and they might need to rely on their parents for quite a while before they live alone for real.
Moreover, they also realize that maintaining a house consumes a lot of time, and that cooking, washing clothes, washing dishes and the like also take a lot of time.
Then they also find out that work can be a lot more taxing than school, even if you're working in a field that you love.

So... It's basically a lack of experience with the adult life. It's easy to look at the good parts of it without realizing the downsides of it as well.

And still... I honestly don't miss being a teenager. I'm happier being an adult than I was being a teenager, even if I have a lot less free time, so... Well, when I look back on the things I thought as a teenager, I realize that a bunch of it was naive, but I also am aware that the upsides that I saw back then were still truthful~

Scaver

As the title asked, What does it mean to be an adult? Is it age that truly certifies you as an adult or is it based on a person's maturity after reaching a certain age? In most places, you are considered an adult at the age of 18 but some cultures say that you are not an adult until you meet certain criteria such as a job, place to live, and being a productive member of society. Some have even argued that you're not an adult until you've lost your virginity. Guess I'm not an adult then but seriously, what do you think makes someone an adult? Maturity? Lifestyle? Age? Responsibilities? Social acceptance? What? I'm only asking this because I am considered an adult by my family, peers, government, and coworkers but I have no clue what I'm doing and just go through the motions because no one has ever explained to me what makes someone an adult. They always just say things like you'll understand once you're an adult but I am an adult and I have never understood.
As a non adult myself while i would like to say its maturity its not really that...
Well you really dont mature until you experience. No matter how much you think you are. Well i would when you understand yourself is when you are an adult. Except most people learns that after decades of living. And there are some people who lived their entire life and even in their death bed they might not find their true self. From others perspective they have lives their entire life succesfully. Earned money, had children, was kind and now even seen his grandchild. But his thought would probably be like this ' Ah i wish i had ventured out back then, wish didn't start that dumb bussiness and got a job, wish hadn't abandon my parents'. regret is gonna come then. Most people probably will face that but when they see their childrens face they will try to sooth themself with the fact that they have done what they could. Well you can say that's what makes us human but idk...
But in the eyes of society being adult means having the ability to earn and start a family. Except just because you are earning doesn't mean you have what it takes to start a family. In fact most dont! They rather learn on the process.
Okay i have gone a lot philosophical haahaha...
Ah, well, it's not that hard to understand IMO.

Teenagers will often times have trouble and disagreements with their parents. Everyone surely heard of the phrase "Rebellious Phase" at least once, right?

The dream of having your own independence, not needing to rely on anyone or follow other people's rules when you're at your own home... It's understandable many people would long for this when they're teenagers.

... When they grow up, they realize that, while yes, having your own home is nice, it's actually stupidly expensive and they might need to rely on their parents for quite a while before they live alone for real.
Moreover, they also realize that maintaining a house consumes a lot of time, and that cooking, washing clothes, washing dishes and the like also take a lot of time.
Then they also find out that work can be a lot more taxing than school, even if you're working in a field that you love.

So... It's basically a lack of experience with the adult life. It's easy to look at the good parts of it without realizing the downsides of it as well.

And still... I honestly don't miss being a teenager. I'm happier being an adult than I was being a teenager, even if I have a lot less free time, so... Well, when I look back on the things I thought as a teenager, I realize that a bunch of it was naive, but I also am aware that the upsides that I saw back then were still truthful~
While you are perfectly logical i kinda disagree here and there.
Rebellious phase? Well thats true. Sometimes i just do stuff that makes no sense whatsoever even tho i consider myself logical. But thats all right.
Personally i dont really think independence is gonna be that fun cuz logically its not.
You opinion are true for the past generations but for the current and the future ones it's kind different. Currently we can see and learn anything in internet. I know watching someone talk and experiencing it yourself is different but it still covers around 60% i would say.
Well my friends are still obsessed in games and social media. I am not saying i wasn't cuz few years back i was really interested but now got bored of it.
And i personally think i will miss my teen when i reach adulthood. It's definitely gonna be nostalgic.
Btw by any means am i saying i am really mature and stuff like that cuz im not. At least not until i do something that shows it.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i can't put to words the definitive experience of being an adult, but the gist is this: being an adult means slowly being aware of consequences as you're piled on more responsibilities as you get older. by the time you make the full realization, it's too late. you're nowhere near prepared, and now you're on your own and people expect you to adjust post-hangover.

i made it out okay. for some others, not so much.

Angeline2403

I believe one truly becomes when they can understand and control themselves better than their adolescent self.

Or maybe when they go through the struggles of what an ‘adult’ goes through at an young age resulting them in being mature like an ‘adult’