Yet another free feedback thread.

BluePheasant

Pm me the feedback. I wanna know the problems from a readers point of view that I need to fix. Here's the link

SailusGebel

The rudest person fits well, but I'm the rudest dinosaur here. Hope we get along! Anyway, I'm curious about what you have to say about my story, I'll leave the link below. You can reply here.

Hard to read.

Boring, uninteresting synopsis. It's as if you followed the guide to make a synopsis, but it has cost you your individuality.

The plot itself is boring. Reading through the synopsis and prologue, I haven't seen anything new and interesting. Fine, maybe chapters 1 and 2 will help the story and start showing something new? Nope, I got a shit load of info dumps that are boring. Now, I won't lie. I actually like info dumps, but when they are interesting and mixed up with something, like a dialogue, a monologue, descriptions, something. You did it, but there is another problem with your info dumps. You focused your attention on different things, while there were things I wanted to actually learn, and they were left unattended. And it bored me.

Worldbuilding and personalities are inconsistent from the few chapters I've read. Like, who are the highlanders? Why do they seem like a very advanced society(relatively) instead of barbarians, and then you say they are barbarians, and then you say they are not. I wanted to actually read about it rather than warrior or priest things.

Personalities, prologue where the MC runs away while thinking and the way she reacts to things is inconsistent. She is running for her life, apparently scared, and then she curses. In my understanding, as a reader, it implies she is irritated. A quick explanation of how I see things. If you've written that she cursed her bad luck or she desperately moaned with a tear-stricken face, I would've thought she was scared. (It's not advice) There were a couple more inconsistencies in MC's and her mentor's behavior, but I won't go into too many details. Just know that it kind of confused me as a reader.

Now, oh boy, the way you write. It's a mess. Almost all of Grey Cat's Lost Solace paragraphs were one sentence long. Your story is the opposite. Huge paragraphs going on and on about something makes it a chore to read. The RARE one-sentence paragraphs don't help and instead look like boards drifting across the sea.

The dialogues are bad, really bad. She said, he said, she replied, he replied. Even when there is no need to mention who said something, you still do it. There are two people talking, only two, and you established WHO is talking, yet you still mention it. After reading the dialogue while skipping those 'she said, he said,' and then rereading them fully I've understood that those she\he said are literally useless 90% of the time. ALSO, you aren't including mannerisms or any kind of movements.

Example. -“I was stupid enough to fall for the only one who didn't” Verkan replied, regretfully reminiscing old times.
Why is there no movement of his eyebrows as he reminisces regretfully? Maybe his eye glistens? His nose is furrowed? Something? Anything?

She\he said always comes in the end, and it adds to the monotonous way of your writing and bores me even more. I didn't read past chapter 2, but I did look at the dialogues in later chapters, and they do look a bit better, but all the things I've said are still present.

In combination with the mentioned problems, the length of the chapters is a detriment. As a reader of web novels, I come to read web novels. I expect that I can finish a chapter in ten or so minutes on my phone and exhale. I can make an exception, but only if the novel is interesting. And yours was not.

Now, you might think that I bash your work because it's a gimmick or something, but I'm not. If I had something positive to say, I would love to, but unfortunately, your work doesn't have any(for me). I guess I can mention that the grammar was okay. As usual, I didn't rate your story. But if I had to, 2-2.5 stars. And lastly, I am a reader, and my opinion was, is, and will be subjective.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
Hard to read.

Boring, uninteresting synopsis. It's as if you followed the guide to make a synopsis, but it has cost you your individuality.

The plot itself is boring. Reading through the synopsis and prologue, I haven't seen anything new and interesting. Fine, maybe chapters 1 and 2 will help the story and start showing something new? Nope, I got a shit load of info dumps that are boring. Now, I won't lie. I actually like info dumps, but when they are interesting and mixed up with something, like a dialogue, a monologue, descriptions, something. You did it, but there is another problem with your info dumps. You focused your attention on different things, while there were things I wanted to actually learn, and they were left unattended. And it bored me.

Worldbuilding and personalities are inconsistent from the few chapters I've read. Like, who are the highlanders? Why do they seem like a very advanced society(relatively) instead of barbarians, and then you say they are barbarians, and then you say they are not. I wanted to actually read about it rather than warrior or priest things.

Personalities, prologue where the MC runs away while thinking and the way she reacts to things is inconsistent. She is running for her life, apparently scared, and then she curses. In my understanding, as a reader, it implies she is irritated. A quick explanation of how I see things. If you've written that she cursed her bad luck or she desperately moaned with a tear-stricken face, I would've thought she was scared. (It's not advice) There were a couple more inconsistencies in MC's and her mentor's behavior, but I won't go into too many details. Just know that it kind of confused me as a reader.

Now, oh boy, the way you write. It's a mess. Almost all of Grey Cat's Lost Solace paragraphs were one sentence long. Your story is the opposite. Huge paragraphs going on and on about something makes it a chore to read. The RARE one-sentence paragraphs don't help and instead look like boards drifting across the sea.

The dialogues are bad, really bad. She said, he said, she replied, he replied. Even when there is no need to mention who said something, you still do it. There are two people talking, only two, and you established WHO is talking, yet you still mention it. After reading the dialogue while skipping those 'she said, he said,' and then rereading them fully I've understood that those she\he said are literally useless 90% of the time. ALSO, you aren't including mannerisms or any kind of movements.

Example. -“I was stupid enough to fall for the only one who didn't” Verkan replied, regretfully reminiscing old times.
Why is there no movement of his eyebrows as he reminisces regretfully? Maybe his eye glistens? His nose is furrowed? Something? Anything?

She\he said always comes in the end, and it adds to the monotonous way of your writing and bores me even more. I didn't read past chapter 2, but I did look at the dialogues in later chapters, and they do look a bit better, but all the things I've said are still present.

In combination with the mentioned problems, the length of the chapters is a detriment. As a reader of web novels, I come to read web novels. I expect that I can finish a chapter in ten or so minutes on my phone and exhale. I can make an exception, but only if the novel is interesting. And yours was not.

Now, you might think that I bash your work because it's a gimmick or something, but I'm not. If I had something positive to say, I would love to, but unfortunately, your work doesn't have any(for me). I guess I can mention that the grammar was okay. As usual, I didn't rate your story. But if I had to, 2-2.5 stars. And lastly, I am a reader, and my opinion was, is, and will be subjective.
Fatality.

Well, you definitely earned "the meanest" title. But I can't complain, I brought this on myself. Still, thanks for the feedback, I suppose.

Mr.Grey-Cat

Grey Cat's Lost Solace paragraphs were one sentence long
Hmm? Did you call? No? Then, whatever. Just let me thank you for reminding me of doing the stuff I forgot. Stuff like updating the old chapters and finding a solution to the copy-paste format.

killwrites

Need motivation
Im planning to rewrite this one day, but have fun bashing it so ik how much i fked up this story :')
(you can reply here idm)

SailusGebel

Fatality.

Well, you definitely earned "the meanest" title. But I can't complain, I brought this on myself. Still, thanks for the feedback, I suppose.
Look, it's already hard to understand what I say as is. If I were to sugarcoat my words, it would be even harder to comprehend what I mean. I want to be honest and for people to understand what I mean. So I'm sorry about this.

At least you can now understand that not every 1 or 2 stars rating is a troll rating. If someone shares my tastes in stories but doesn't share my rule of NOT rating a story after reading too little, you get those alleged trolls.

Hmm? Did you call? No? Then, whatever. Just let me thank you for reminding me of doing the stuff I forgot. Stuff like updating the old chapters and finding a solution to the copy-paste format.
No problems, I'm glad that I helped you with something. Sorry if my feedback sounded rude, but I wanted to be honest.

halfBlooming

Your 1-3 sentences paragraph makes me remember Korean WN's writing style. They also love doing that. The shorter the paragraphs, the happier they get. Though the opposite may be true, that they might die if they use at least 4 sentences in one paragraph

Nhatduongg

Yuyuko Saigyouji, The Dreaming Ghost
Cool, I guess?

This is just a practice piece of writing and I am only planning on writing at most 3 more chapters and then calling it finished. Due to being a practice piece, you can bash it however you want and then I can have a good reason to do scrap it or do a serious rewrite.
You can post your review here.

Thank you, have a nice day/noon/night.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
Look, it's already hard to understand what I say as is. If I were to sugarcoat my words, it would be even harder to comprehend what I mean. I want to be honest and for people to understand what I mean. So I'm sorry about this.

At least you can now understand that not every 1 or 2 stars rating is a troll rating. If someone shares my tastes in stories but doesn't share my rule of NOT rating a story after reading too little, you get those alleged trolls.

No problems, I'm glad that I helped you with something. Sorry if my feedback sounded rude, but I wanted to be honest.
I understand. It only means I still need to improve as a writer.

SailusGebel

Thanks for offering feedback!
I'm new to the craft in general, but here is my story:

Edit: You can share your feedback anywhere, it doesn't matter
If you are new, I will give you a few tips that are more or less objective. Put more tags and genres. I don't mean that you absolutely have to put 30+ tags, but 10-15 tags are a good number. They will help you because readers might look for a certain tag, and if your story has one, it will pop up to the said reader. They can also speculate what to expect from a story after looking at tags, and it's helpful rather than harmful.

And try to make your chapters a tad bit longer, at least 1k words a chapter, though 1.5 would be better. A chapter consisting of 700 words is way too little. There is a reason why most popular stories(current trending on SH) are 1000-1500 words long. It's because casual readers like this length.

Now to your story. I don't know what to say. It's very childish, I guess? I don't want to be rude, but it's bad. And I mean, in a technical, writing aspect. There are too many things to list. It's bad to the point where I don't think you need the feedback of a random reader. You should read writing guides and other people's works. Maybe make a separate thread and ask for help from good authors. We have some good authors here who share their experiences. It will help you better than I can.

I'm sorry; you probably expected something else from this feedback. However, if you want to become popular, you should fix a lot of mistakes. If it's not your goal, you can continue writing, but don't expect a lot of readers.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I want to cement my fame as a rude person and, if possible, aim to become the rudest person on the SH forum. How can I do this? By offering free reviews and bashing everyone's works.
I'm sorry; you probably expected something else from this feedback.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Okay, okay, okay. I shall prepare my writerly anus (my story) for your readerly penis (your bashing).

Post it here. Let's get it on!

D

Deleted member 70223

Im planning to rewrite this one day, but have fun bashing it so ik how much i fked up this story :')
(you can reply here idm)

The art work in your signature is fantastic!

GetThat

I'm sorry; you probably expected something else from this feedback. However, if you want to become popular, you should fix a lot of mistakes. If it's not your goal, you can continue writing, but don't expect a lot of readers.
you bet. but after all, it's what I asked for and criticism is the way to improve. if you have time could you please specify more about the mistakes? here or in PMs, so I don't end up making them again

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I want to cement my fame as a rude person and, if possible, aim to become the rudest person on the SH forum. How can I do this? By offering free reviews and bashing everyone's works.

Okay, so I decided to do a free review thread as I'm seeking something to read, I'm seeking inspiration, and looking to steal ideas from other authors. I won't sugarcoat my words, and I won't use most technical terms other reviewers might use. English is my second language, and I'm a shit author, but what does it mean to you? It means that I will review your stories based on my feelings rather than technicalities, and I will do it as a reader, not as an author.

The rules are simple. You post a link to your story, you state where you would like to receive the review\feedback, this thread, or PM, and I read your story. After I read as much as I can, I will reply to you.

I won't read three genres; GL(girls love\yuri), BL(boys love\yaoi), and GB(gender bender).
Can't believe it missed this one. I'm sitting on helluva waiting list. I'll expect to get my feedback next month, or none at all (not blaming you you're giving free shit after all).

I'll take the feedback right here. Where's the fun in private flaying?

Herein lies two choices. One be smut, and the other be post-apocalyptic drama. On the previous two feedback threads I invaded they all picked the latter (like the pussies they are).

Pick ya poison, chief.

SailusGebel

you bet. but after all, it's what I asked for and criticism is the way to improve. if you have time could you please specify more about the mistakes? here or in PMs, so I don't end up making them again
As I said, it would be better to make a separate thread and ask the authors for help. I'm a bad author, so I can't guide you properly, nor do I know all the necessary terms.

If you insist, the pace of your story is off(too fast), there are no details or descriptions, no logic, weird paragraphing, overly large spacing between the paragraphs, and bad dialogues. It's too short, and as I said, it is a mistake if you aim for something other than writing for yourself. All of it is something I noticed without analyzing your novel in-depth.

I can't give you an example because all of it is off. It's not like I can point you that this part is good and that is bad cause everything is bad. Once again, in my opinion. And to show what I mean, I would have to rewrite big chunks of your novel and explain everything in detail as you compare the two texts. And it's not something I can do properly(I'm a bad author).

Make a separate thread and ask for help from other authors, some people here will shitpost in your thread, but we have a bunch of authors who can help you. Also, you should probably read OokamiKasumi's guides. They might help you to see and understand your mistakes. I will post a link to one of her guides here, and I hope you can find other guides yourself.

Can't believe it missed this one. I'm sitting on helluva waiting list. I'll expect to get my feedback next month, or none at all (not blaming you you're giving free shit after all).

I'll take the feedback right here. Where's the fun in private flaying?

Herein lies two choices. One be smut, and the other be post-apocalyptic drama. On the previous two feedback threads I invaded they all picked the latter
Nah, you will have to wait for a week, maybe a week and a half at most. Also, I will try to review both stories.

bokhi

Not a Desert Crow Witch
Free? Oooh. I volunteer as tribute!

You can post your review here or in a DM. I don't really mind either way. It might be funnier if you posted it here, though, because then lurkers can point and laugh. Free amusement for everyone! (But really, it's up to you.)

My work is a tragic romance. The first book is a slice-of-life.